Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Rant time. The truth about this ridiculous OEM car vs. Tuner car power battle that some media sources are declaring victory of to the aftermarket.

Read: Modern Mopar Magazine | The Truth About OEM vs. Tuner

Any car can be improved upon in one or more specific areas by the aftermarket/tuner market. The issue is that OEM manufacturers have to comply w governmental regulations and have to compromise to get a car legally made. Aftermarket doesn't to the same extent. A box can be made to go 8's in a qtr, but at what expense, loss of driver comfort, & safety? Then there are maintenance & repair issues. An OEM car can be repaired by any dealer ( well, supposedly, anyways). A modified, tuner car usually will have modifications that an average shop can' t handle (tuning issues especially come to mind). I love a modded car as much as anyone, but one can't beat OEM engineering & reliability. I continue to reserve judgement on the warranty offered by OEM manufacturers as they will do their darnedest to weasel out of a claim, especially if it's performance related, from my experience.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's a pretty well defined line.

I buy a car the general public can buy off a dealers lot with a factory window sticker on it, and you bring your choice of vehicle your grandma can buy off the off a dealer lot with a window sticker.

No Shelby, No Petty, No Lingenfelter, No Yenko, No "special edition only available at select dealers" BS.

Bring a production car, on production tires, lay down your cards, hope you brought enough.

I guarantee the first guy that thinks his 725HP is gonna beat the Hellcat's 707("L0L"??) is gonna LOSE in a bad way.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
It may win, but at what cost....and I don't mean $$$

It's a pretty well defined line.

I buy a car the general public can buy off a dealers lot with a factory window sticker on it, and you bring your choice of vehicle your grandma can buy off the off a dealer lot with a window sticker.

No Shelby, No Petty, No Lingenfelter, No Yenko, No "special edition only available at select dealers" BS.

Bring a production car, on production tires, lay down your cards, hope you brought enough.

I guarantee the first guy that thinks his 725HP is gonna beat the Hellcat's 707("L0L"??) is gonna LOSE in a bad way.

It might be totally unreliable....or have "issues." Perhaps it won't idle properly....or the aftermarket cam shakes it like a washing machine. Maybe some warning lights permanently illuminate....or it wont pass a state inspection, etc. It may no longer be a "streetable" car. The HC is praised for being very easy to drive at low speed (both M6 and Auto).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Am I out of a loop? Is their a debate about making something manufactured faster?
Who are these people that want to stick out their tongue and tell us how they can spend x amount of money and clean our clock.? We get it---you are faster and better--Cheers

·
Registered
592 Posts
Am I out of a loop? Is their a debate about making something manufactured faster?

I'm guessing it's referring to the butthurt Ford fans who always seem to say,"Yeah - but the Super Snake makes 1000hp!" anytime the Hellcat comes up. (not the level-headed Ford fans, of course). Or the occasional Camaro guy who brings up some tuned Hennessy ZL1.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Manufacturers have to meet regulation after regulation to legally sell a car. They also have to build a total package that can last 200K miles and beyond before an overhaul. They also offer a complete warranty with the car. You get something from the aftermarket and I doubt it will be as well engineered as the OEMs, just my opinion. I prefer to keep my cars mostly stock. It is much more reliable that way. OEMs are better than the aftermarket. When they do something, it is done very well.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I totally agree.
Your article brought up them trying to compare the new Zo6,with the Challenger.What really has them going (Vette forums,and owners)is the Hellcat Charger times,the big heavy sedan is right on them.
Zo6 0-60 2.95,HC Charger 2.90
The Charger on drag radials at 10.70,the debate is why are the trap speeds low,it appears the driver may have shut off early,and could have been in the 10.50 range.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Ignorant close minded people can't appreciate greatness, especially when they don't have one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts