Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you believe it?
The car is our 2015 Challenger R/T 5.7. We took delivery in March 2015 and within a few hundred miles, I had the center mufflers replaced with straight pipes. The MDS noise issue I heard about has never been a problem. The car is a bit louder at idle and under throttle but still really tame. My hot rod is a 70 Charger R/T with the traditional muscle car sound: Headers, 3" pipes, Ultra-Flo mufflers. I know it is impossible to get a similar sound with a new car, Catalytic converters, extensive sound deadening, milder camshaft...etc.
The Challenger is completely stock otherwise. Resonators still in place, no cold air kit, no catch can or any of the other tidbits new owners often put on these cars.
I am just curious about how to get more of the rumble. It is tough to gauge exhaust sound from a YouTube video played through a computer. I have wondered if it makes sense to replace the resonators with mufflers from a performance company or is it more common to pull the resonators and put aftermarket mufflers back in the stock location.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Can you believe it?
The car is our 2015 Challenger R/T 5.7. We took delivery in March 2015 and within a few hundred miles, I had the center mufflers replaced with straight pipes. The MDS noise issue I heard about has never been a problem. The car is a bit louder at idle and under throttle but still really tame. My hot rod is a 70 Charger R/T with the traditional muscle car sound: Headers, 3" pipes, Ultra-Flo mufflers. I know it is impossible to get a similar sound with a new car, Catalytic converters, extensive sound deadening, milder camshaft...etc.
The Challenger is completely stock otherwise. Resonators still in place, no cold air kit, no catch can or any of the other tidbits new owners often put on these cars.
I am just curious about how to get more of the rumble. It is tough to gauge exhaust sound from a YouTube video played through a computer. I have wondered if it makes sense to replace the resonators with mufflers from a performance company or is it more common to pull the resonators and put aftermarket mufflers back in the stock location.

Agree about exhaust sounds via YouTube..... Best bet is to go to Carlisle for the Chrysler Nationals next summer (see attached link). Usually several of the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers (Borla, Flowmaster etc....) are there with exhaust systems installed on new and old cars for you to listen to live. Beware, what doesn't sound that loud outside at the Carlisle Fairgrounds might be louder that you think in your driveway early in the morning when leaving for work. Ask me how I know...... :surprise:

Carlisle Chrysler Nationals - Collector Car Show and Swap Meet, Everything Mopar, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, AMC, Jeep, and RAM

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,849 Posts
Can you believe it?
I know what you mean, my buddy has a 1972 Duster with a stroked 340 and it has "that" sound...until you get on the highway for 1/2 hour, then it gets crazy loud. I don't think you can get the old school sound without ditching the cats, resonators, running headers and an aggressive cam. Good chance you will get drone replacing the resonators with plain mufflers (I find it resonates more than straight pipe). I ran Blastin Bobs with the small mufflers and could not tolerate the level of drone at 1.5-2K rpm. I run Corsa Extreme with mid mufflers removed and the sound level definitely improved (gas pedal controls the volume...can drive through the neighborhood at night without waking the dead) but it is silly to pay $1,200 for an exhaust system only to use the x-pipe and resonators. For me, it did the job. BTW the noise level in the cabin and outside is night and day with the windows rolled up.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,049 Posts
If you like loud a Zoomers exhaust system should take care of that for you. I had a Borla system on my old R/T and that worked pretty good and was pretty loud. I put a Zoomers cat back on my 2014 SRT and it takes it up a notch from my old Borla system.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My girlfriend loves how loud my car is lol. I keep saying maybe I'll put some small glasspacks on it just to tame it down a bit and she always says "you better not or I am going to be pissed".
Of course her dad has a 67 nova that is probably louder than my car and c10 that just runs open headers, so I guess you could say she is used to the noise.

As for getting the old school sound...it isn't going to happen. You can get close, I think I am close, but just not the same. Engine designs are different, cams are different, efi manifolds vs carb manifolds, all play a role.

Best bet is some glasspacks in place of the mid mufflers and delete the rear resos but that will be loud depending on the length of glasspacks. The lope will never be there like it is in old cars but there are some cams out there that help. My 270 doesn't really have enough lope for me but the drive-ability and power curve is what I wanted.

I cannot say anything regarding drone, I still don't really get that concept, its all exhaust noise to me. I like my stuff loud all the time!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Flowmaster Force 2 on my 15 for a step up over stock and no drone but I also added QTP remote electric cutouts for raw Hemi sound, great combination for mild to wild.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
My girlfriend loves how loud my car is lol. I keep saying maybe I'll put some small glasspacks on it just to tame it down a bit and she always says "you better not or I am going to be pissed".
Of course her dad has a 67 nova that is probably louder than my car and c10 that just runs open headers, so I guess you could say she is used to the noise.

As for getting the old school sound...it isn't going to happen. You can get close, I think I am close, but just not the same. Engine designs are different, cams are different, efi manifolds vs carb manifolds, all play a role.

Best bet is some glasspacks in place of the mid mufflers and delete the rear resos but that will be loud depending on the length of glasspacks. The lope will never be there like it is in old cars but there are some cams out there that help. My 270 doesn't really have enough lope for me but the drive-ability and power curve is what I wanted.

I cannot say anything regarding drone, I still don't really get that concept, its all exhaust noise to me. I like my stuff loud all the time!

Really? Guess you are NOT a mechanic.. Me either. Good for you!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The "muffler delete" I had done first was more of a matter of trying something cheap. When stock, the car sounded no different than a minivan at idle or cruise.
Also, it is strange how at a cold start, it rumbles more than it does after it is warmed up. I don't notice that with the old cars I have.
I want to keep the exhaust tips at the bumper. I am considering a few options though....New mufflers in the stock location or in place of the resonators.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The "muffler delete" I had done first was more of a matter of trying something cheap. When stock, the car sounded no different than a minivan at idle or cruise.
Also, it is strange how at a cold start, it rumbles more than it does after it is warmed up. I don't notice that with the old cars I have.
I want to keep the exhaust tips at the bumper. I am considering a few options though....New mufflers in the stock location or in place of the resonators.

I know Scat Packs start with a CRACK in the morning. LOUD. I can dig it!

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,324 Posts
Installed a Flowmaster Force II system before she broke 1k ... sitting at 122k now and still happy with it!!

Reactions: Kern Dog

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am on my third setup. At 300 miles on odometer Replaced mid muffler with magnaflow glasspack sound very nice but still quite. Then 1000 miles delete mid muffler with straight pipes too loud cold start scary loud.at 1300 miles Replaced straight pipes with dynomax bullet 24250 super happy. Just hit 3000 miles this morning.

Reactions: Kern Dog

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since sound is such a subjective thing, I might have to contact some local Challenger club people to hear their cars in person. It sucks to make changes that don't work out the way that you want.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'm gonna throw an opinion out here: The modern Challenger (08-up) has too much sound deadening, and big thick bones in general inherent to the platform it's based on. The old muscle cars from the 60s and 70s can have a "quieter" exhaust and still sound louder from the inside because the sound just travels through like a tin can (In a good way).

On my 2010 R/T, I had the blastin Bob's reso delete, and it sounded just like a normal Hemi, the way it should sound, from the driver seat. Then the odd time I heard my car from the outside (Either with someone else driving or on video), I was actually surprised how much louder it sounded, especially under load. My '16 392 has awesome sounding stock exhaust, but from the inside somedays I feel it's a bit on the quiet side while I'm driving.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with the sound deadening being effective.
I was in Los Angeles for a big Mopar show in 2016. I was rolling with the windows down at a light when a couple of guys came alongside in an Isuzu panel truck diesel, blasting some horrible Mexican Rap music.
I rolled up the windows and it was as if I went underwater. I could barely hear anything anymore.
Nice.

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
447 Posts
If you like loud a Zoomers exhaust system should take care of that for you. I had a Borla system on my old R/T and that worked pretty good and was pretty loud. I put a Zoomers cat back on my 2014 SRT and it takes it up a notch from my old Borla system.
I waited 5 year before deciding to put Zoomers on my 2011 392. I love the sound.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Engine cam timing and ignition timing vary on cold start-up on modern engines.

I remember if I retarded the timing on my roadrunner, the pitch of the exhaust would be deeper at idle. (stock engine, exhaust).

One of the things on the SP models are the rear resonators are pretty much a straight through design. The '17+ 5.7s use the similar exhaust.

An engineer that I know at FCA mentioned that the '17 5.7s exhaust sound better yet than the 6.4 exhaust does.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The other exhaust system I've heard that I like were the Solo setup with the J-pipes.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Engine cam timing and ignition timing vary on cold start-up on modern engines.

I remember if I retarded the timing on my roadrunner, the pitch of the exhaust would be deeper at idle. (stock engine, exhaust).

One of the things on the SP models are the rear resonators are pretty much a straight through design. The '17+ 5.7s use the similar exhaust.

An engineer that I know at FCA mentioned that the '17 5.7s exhaust sound better yet than the 6.4 exhaust does.
Oh yeah? Less compression........ I guess he would know. And what he likes. I LOVE mine, all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts