Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped off something at my daughters school on 4/18,left the car running.When I came out it was making the most horrendous tapping sound I've ever heard.Drove it home and called for a flatbed to take it to the dealer.Dealer tells me it's a lifter problem.They proceed to put new lifters in,stock ones even though Chrysler knows about the lifter problem and has made available upgraded lifters.Stock lifters don't fix the problem.So they tell me they are going to put the upgraded lifters in and new rocker arms.This past Fri. 4/29 I'm expecting to pick up my car,instead they tell me after they put it all back together she started knocking real bad once the temp of the car got to where it should be for normal driving,plus it wouldn't hold any oil pressure.Was told there was metal shavings in my oil pan as well.

So now I'm getting a new engine.Not sure how to feel about this,just want my damn car back.I'll keep you posted as this tale unfolds.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For all the trouble, they should put a 6.4 in for ya! :browsmiley:
Just trying to cheer you up... Good luck, I'm sure she'll be BETTER than new!!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You left the car running in the parking lot while you went in to the school? damn you're brave. Sorry to hear about the lifters/bearings and motor. Getting a new motor is a good thing though, wish you could have them install a 6.4 instead of the 5.7, even if it cost a little extra. I know i'd be thinking about it. Good luck with the new engine. Won't dodge provide you with a free rental while the car is out? they should give you a demo car to use.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This is common problem on the 5.7 known as "Hemi tick." I was in the garage the other day and noticed it on my car with less that 750 miles on it. I also heard it once on my wife's Cherokee Hemi recently. That has almost 8K on it now. It was faint ticking noise coming from the engines, and it was more noticeable in the garage or enclosed area. There are many differing opinions on what causes it. I hear it goes away after a few miles and a switch to synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have heard mine do the same. When I first heard it the oil pressure was at 29 psi at idle. I had read on the other Challenger forum that 29 to 31 psi was normal for an idle oil presure after the car has been driven. I also read if you switched to synthetic oil it would go away. I switched to Royal Purple oil and have not heard it since.

·
Super Moderator
17,345 Posts
Dealer tells me it's a lifter problem.They proceed to put new lifters in,stock ones even though Chrysler knows about the lifter problem and has made available upgraded lifters.Stock lifters don't fix the problem.
So they tell me they are going to put the upgraded lifters in and new rocker arms.This past Fri. 4/29 I'm expecting to pick up my car,instead they tell me after they put it all back together she started knocking real bad once the temp of the car got to where it should be for normal driving,plus it wouldn't hold any oil pressure.Was told there was metal shavings in my oil pan as well.

So now I'm getting a new engine.Not sure how to feel about this,just want my damn car back.I'll keep you posted as this tale unfolds.
If you had metal shavings, I would want another engine, clearly the oiling system had a failure (lack of pressure, evidence of wear). The potential damage to the crank, bearings and potential cylinder wall scuffing warrants just putting a new longblock and get it done.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You left the car running in the parking lot while you went in to the school? damn you're brave. Sorry to hear about the lifters/bearings and motor. Getting a new motor is a good thing though, wish you could have them install a 6.4 instead of the 5.7, even if it cost a little extra. I know i'd be thinking about it. Good luck with the new engine. Won't dodge provide you with a free rental while the car is out? they should give you a demo car to use.

Heh! I was thinking the same... maybe someone came over and redlined it a few times for ya.

I'm thinking if it's going to be covered by warranty, they are not going to agree to a totally different motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I parked 10 feet from the front door,handed something off and walked back out.I live in the booneys.10 seconds max.The funny thing,or not,was when I did walk out and heard that noise I immediately looked for another car running,never in a million years thought it was my R/T.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
They'll only replace the parts that are bad, no need to replace the heads if the shortblock is the only broken part. Dealers rarely replace more than they have to. Hope mine doesn't ever experience the tick issue.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
This is common problem on the 5.7 known as "Hemi tick." I was in the garage the other day and noticed it on my car with less that 750 miles on it. I also heard it once on my wife's Cherokee Hemi recently. That has almost 8K on it now. It was faint ticking noise coming from the engines, and it was more noticeable in the garage or enclosed area. There are many differing opinions on what causes it. I hear it goes away after a few miles and a switch to synthetic oil.
I ran nothing but Synthetic (Royal Purple, Mobil1) in my '08 Charger R/T and I had the tick, it started up between 40-50k on the clock and seems to have stayed about the same until I traded her in.

There are many a theory on what causes the Hemi tick, but from what I've heard it doesn't hurt anything in most cases...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK fellas need your help on this.It's just not adding up to me.I send the car in for a top end problem(lifters and rocker arms) now I'm being told they are going to replace the short block(bottom end) and reuse my top end.

Help!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
bad bearings often sound like a lifter issue in the early stages. They will reuse the top end, meaning the heads, but they will probably replace the lifters if the old ones don't measure up to spec during the rebuild. When they found shavings in the oil, bearings are usually the culprit, and a shortblock is a worthwhile replacement when they could try to get by with just a new set of bearings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the car back finally,new small block.Question is,just got a Predator,do I wait to brake this ***** in some before connecting or just fire away.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What year is your challenger and how many miles are on it?

I just bought mine 2 weeks ago, rear end bolts were loose and the rear end was about to fall out.

After 50 miles ( bought it with 4 miles on it) the motor makes noise only when its really hot, i took it to the dealer and they said it was normal.

I have another dealership looking at it this saturday, the noise is very loud and i am a heavy equipment mechanic. I race cars and build motors too,this one has issues that are not so nice sounding..
I told them that it sounds like the timing chain is rubbing the front cover. Guess we will drop the oil this weekend at the dealership.

My car has 132.3 miles on it. :icon_evil:

You should have requested new heads, the metal particles from the bearings oiled the valve guides and if they didnt hot tank your heads, your issues will be smoking at idle and smoking on deceleration. Plus it will consume oil rapidly
Have someone drive your car and watch, if you see smoke, have the heads redone. It will be sooner than you expect.

If my motors fubar, im going to flip out.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You really don't need to break an engine in on a new car. It doesn't hurt to do so, just drive it steadily without going over 4000 rpm for a few hundred miles, then vary the speeds trying to keep the rpms steady without revving much for another few hundred, then may try to drive it at higher speed around 80-85 for a bit to let things sort out. I usually take it easy on new engines for about 500-1000 miles before redlining it. My cars have always lasted at least 100k before blowing up, and they usually only let loose at that point because i'll be modding it and stretching its last remaining bits of bearings with a much larger pool of power.

If it were me, i wouldn't use the predator for at least a minimum of 400 miles of sedate driving, but after that i'd fire away, after all, its under warranty still as long as you can reload the stock tune before you take it in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.