Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what fuse should I remove to prevent my car from being possibly stolen. 2012 Dodge Challenger sxt. Any other tips are welcome

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
Check the fuse box(s) for any labeled fuel pump or ASD relay. Either one of those would keep it from starting.

Now a crafty thief with a flat bed would not be foiled, but that’s a whole ‘nother issue there...

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,345 Posts
Howdy!

I wouldn't remove any fuses. I'd install a kill switch.

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
When I bought my 2009 SRT in December 2008, I was worried about theft. For piece of mind, I had a RAVELCO anti-theft device installed. It was originally invented in 1976 and, to date, no car has ever been stolen with this installed.

It installs beneath or flush mounted in the dashboard. A removable 16 pin male plug (which when not in use connects to your key chain) makes all the electronic connections. A hidden armored steel cable protects the wires from the rear of the RAVELCO base on through to the engine compartment where all the connections are made and totally camouflaged. When the plug is removed from the RAVELCO, it is impossible to start the vehicle. There are more than 100,000 different combinations. No bells or whistles, just results.

Check out its website:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
When I bought my 2009 SRT in December 2008, I was worried about theft. For piece of mind, I had a RAVELCO anti-theft device installed. It was originally invented in 1976 and, to date, no car has ever been stolen with this installed.

It installs beneath or flush mounted in the dashboard. A removable 16 pin male plug (which when not in use connects to your key chain) makes all the electronic connections. A hidden armored steel cable protects the wires from the rear of the RAVELCO base on through to the engine compartment where all the connections are made and totally camouflaged. When the plug is removed from the RAVELCO, it is impossible to start the vehicle. There are more than 100,000 different combinations. No bells or whistles, just results.

Check out its website:

That's basically how a kill switch works, but you don't have to take anything with you. The best ones have two or more hidden switches which are not located under the dash, among other secrets.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I was wondering what fuse should I remove to prevent my car from being possibly stolen. 2012 Dodge Challenger sxt. Any other tips are welcome
You can pull all the fuses but unless you chain the car to something it can still be stolen.

See YT videos of lots of various cars, including a few Dodges, taken off a parking lot by a tow company. The car is lifted up by its tires/wheels (either the front or rear) and moved away. Takes about as long to type this in as it does for it to happen.

Once the car is away the thieves can check fuses or look for a kill switch.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
140 Posts
Keep it in your garage, move to a safer area, drive it only on the weekends, park it in viewing distance at all times. Any of those would work right?

Sorry sarcasm but to all the posts above, if someone really wants to steal your car they are going to steal it no matter how difficult you make it for them. They could just wait for you to return to the car and then high-jack it from you using your own keys. Again sorry for being mister doom and gloom, get good insurance coverage and be mindful of the areas you leave your car parked for extended periods of time.

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
That's basically how a kill switch works, but you don't have to take anything with you. The best ones have two or more hidden switches which are not located under the dash, among other secrets.
I thought the same thing until I researched this device. It is a lot more sophisticated than a simple kill switch. A remote starter kill switch comes with a remote control and a special re-worked starter relay that replaces the factory starter relay in the power distribution box. The power distribution box is easy to access directly under the hood of the vehicle. All you have to do is to lift the cover of the box pull out the relay, replace it with any factory relay (cost $2) and drive the vehicle off. Also, the remote control on this device can be scanned and bypassed with a scanner box very easily in seconds.

The Ravelco interrups circuits to the electronic fuel or injector pump, the ignition circuit, the starter circuit and the PCM. All soldered electrical connections are made in the engine compartment of the vehicle and are connected in and through the factory wiring harnesses Since there are no exposed wires, a properly-installed RAVELCO is virtually impossible to detect and very time consuming to trace because all the wires are the same color (black). Also, the under-the-dash activation pin-plug is unique and has 100,000 possible combinations.

·
Registered
79 Posts
there is no 100% prevention. FOB blocking bags help with the signal stealing. Wheel locks help with wheels being stolen. Attaching an anchor would help with the tow bed. or Garage. me personally about to have it parked inside my house and never more then 6 ft from me. ill sit in the car if i gotta go somewhere and have someone else go in.

Unfortunately there is no way. I live in fear over my HC every day and night especially in my current conditions . All you can do is hope it never happens

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I thought the same thing until I researched this device. It is a lot more sophisticated than a simple kill switch. A remote starter kill switch comes with a remote control and a special re-worked starter relay that replaces the factory starter relay in the power distribution box. The power distribution box is easy to access directly under the hood of the vehicle. All you have to do is to lift the cover of the box pull out the relay, replace it with any factory relay (cost $2) and drive the vehicle off. Also, the remote control on this device can be scanned and bypassed with a scanner box very easily in seconds.

The Ravelco interrups circuits to the electronic fuel or injector pump, the ignition circuit, the starter circuit and the PCM. All soldered electrical connections are made in the engine compartment of the vehicle and are connected in and through the factory wiring harnesses Since there are no exposed wires, a properly-installed RAVELCO is virtually impossible to detect and very time consuming to trace because all the wires are the same color (black). Also, the under-the-dash activation pin-plug is unique and has 100,000 possible combinations.
Your Ravelco looks to be a fairly good deal, and I understand entirely how it functions. I had intended on installing a custom kill switch in my Shaker, but why reinvent the wheel. The Ravelco is a type of kill switch. The only thing I dislike about your system is having to add a device to my key ring. I'll need to do some more research on it, as my fuel system is not stock, and has been completely rewired. The really good news here is that the installation only takes two hours, and that AAA members get a 10% discount on it. Thanks for making me aware of it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I got a Viper alarm, it has shock sensors so will go off if there is impact like attempts at forcing through wheels locks and probably if the windows gets smashed or an attempted towing. Remote is 2 way so it will alert me if I don't hear my alarm. I also have a dashcam with wifi inside so that will also record everything and alert me also

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
How did they get 16 pins to have 100,000 combos?
16 pins, 15 pins, 16 positions.... about 4K combos, right?
A tad more than that. I take it you skipped calculus...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
a determined pro thief wont be stopped. all you can do is slow them down. maybe.
a fuse pull/kill switch wont stop them either...theyll just 'repo' it with a "lift n tow" and drag it a couple block over, then secure it.
for me, both of ours are in the garage, w/cams on and daily drivers parked in the driveway blocking them in.
big dogs help with the early warning system, as well as paying attention to whose around the house/nieghborhood thats not supposed to be, etc.
nieghbor a block over had about $30k in motorcycles stolen right out of his back yard not long ago, no one saw or heard a thing..they rolled them right out his gate middle of the day. they knew when no one was around.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
You could trade in the automatic and get a manual...just about no one knows how to drive one anymore. ;)

On a serious note, you could add a shock or tilt (detects if the car is being towed) sensor.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
140 Posts
You could trade in the automatic and get a manual...just about no one knows how to drive one anymore. ;)

On a serious note, you could add a shock or tilt (detects if the car is being towed) sensor.
You Sir win the prize, a manual is the best anti-theft device, maybe not so much in Europe or the rest of the world but at least here in the US. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
Your Ravelco looks to be a fairly good deal, and I understand entirely how it functions. I had intended on installing a custom kill switch in my Shaker, but why reinvent the wheel. The Ravelco is a type of kill switch. The only thing I dislike about your system is having to add a device to my key ring. I'll need to do some more research on it, as my fuel system is not stock, and has been completely rewired. The really good news here is that the installation only takes two hours, and that AAA members get a 10% discount on it. Thanks for making me aware of it.
The plug doesn't bother me on my key chain. It's relatively small and is only 1 5/16 inches in diameter.

You can also pay a little extra to have your custom image printed on the plain gray plug. I submitted an SRT logo (see photo). It looks like it came that way from the factory.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts