Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put a motor like the 392 hemi in a much smaller car? Say the size of a Mustang or Camaro? Im thinking the reason Dodge hasnt done it is it cant be done? Is that true?

·
Registered
2016 plum crazy purple R/T Scat Pack
1,109 Posts
Anything can be done with time and money. My uncle put a CAT D4 diesel dozer engine in his F250 because his buddies said it was impossible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really ponder if they could why they wouldnt. I mean itd have major fuel economy gains being lighter, they have proven that they can produce a large hemi like the 392 very cheaply. Wouldnt that be an interim solution to the tougher fuel economy standards ramping up?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't see the Mustang or Camaro as "much smaller" cars.

You seen how much of the engine bay for the Mustangs gets filled up by those over-head cam engines? Those engines are huge. A 392 could easily fit in there.

You seem to think the bigger cubic inch number equals much larger engine dimensions. That's not always the case.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How much smaller? A Neon? Nobody is going to buy a super small car with a big V8. The closest Mopar got was a Barracuda or a Dart but those were not tiny cars.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why? Material strength might be part of it. Need bigger components, more iron, to handle the power.

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
Anything can be done with time and money.
Exactly. Look at this car.

Big engines will soon go the way of dinosaurs. Car manufacturers are all moving towards smaller engines with turbochargers in order to meet future CAFE standards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Emissions output in weight categories.....

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Chrysler has not had the financial resources to redesign the the lx platform. It was first planned for around 2014 pushed to 2018ish pushed to 2019-2021ish When the redesign does occur more fuel efficient engine series (at least by EPA test standards, looking at you ford ecoboost v-6) will be ready.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
If they could shoe horn a 426 Hemi (Gen II) into an "A" Body (Dart, Barracuda), The could put the current "Puny" hemi into just about anything, Just buy looking at it next my 360 "LA" engine it does not seem any bigger and it is lighter.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Is it possible to put a motor like the 392 hemi in a much smaller car? Say the size of a Mustang or Camaro? Im thinking the reason Dodge hasnt done it is it cant be done? Is that true?
Dodge hasn't done it because they don't have a smaller RWD car to put it in. There's no point in jamming one into the Alfa platforms they use on the FWD cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Federal regulations about emissions and HP to weight ratio's Federal regulations in Crash testing the weight of the motor in the car will change the cars structure. No rear wheel drive in smaller platforms. The list go's on and on. You can do it in your back yard, but New Car company's have a mountain of requirements to follow. It's not the Sixty's anymore. Sad:frown:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I saw a 6.1 in a completely stock looking 80's Daytona at the Mopar Nationals a few years back.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Just a point of information...putting a big engine in a lighter vehicle doesn't necessarily promise big fuel economy gains. The less hard it works, the less efficient it is thermodynamically on the power stroke. If you purposely work it harder in that lighter car to make up for that, you'll be lighting the streets up (and it will likely be taken away from you very soon, for driving in such a manner). So in the end, it will be a wash at best in real use, or probably even worse fuel economy. Big engines in general are disadvantaged in this respect, because they typically don't work that hard to do "normal" driving stuff.

That's why smaller engines are so popular when the goal is brute fuel economy. The harder they work, the higher on the efficiency curve they operate, and that naturally yields the better fuel economy number.

Just as a side note, on the best days on a route going across the city, I could snag nearly the hwy mpg rating for this car. The caveat...that happens when I can give it the beans how I want, coast when I want, and choose a speed that suits me, w/o issues of traffic congestion or threat of police enforcement. I'm just trying to say, the efficiency is already in there if you have the liberty to exercise the engine a bit, get a lot of coasting in, and minimal use of brakes. ;) The bottleneck isn't so much the engine technology, so much as the driving methodology you can employ, imo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts