Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some help figuring out what is going on with my 2010 SE. Car has 2600 miles the thermostat has been replaced 2 times already and this morning check engine light came on again with code 0128 thermostat problem. Does anyone have a clue what is causng this? It takes dealer about 6 hours to change out and i am getting sick of waiting. beginning to wonder if a brought a lemon

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
sounds like R&R flunkies that work at the dealer, the little code says t-stat so the flunkies change it out, fine, but when the car comes back, I would be thinking faulty temp switch and I'd check both the t stat in a pot of water and the temp switch with a thermometer stuck in the radiator. I'm sure the flunkies will just change out the t stat again:notallthere:
Lemon, if you owned a Citation or any K-car you would really understand the meaning of that term.

Here a story got the silly tire pressure junk on the company car, one of them is faulty, so every so ofter it puts the car in limp home as it sends I don't got any air signal to the brain. So it goes in and out of the dealer like 4 times total and the dealer can't fix it cause it is intermitent. The dealer mechanic does not want to fill air over the factory 30 PSI, here tells me it is "dangerous"... rigth :notallthere: Like the max cold tire pressure by the people that made the tire is right there on the sidewall and 39 PSI ain't even close. Now the ride is a little firmer but hey this is a float the boat Impala.

My fix I pump all four up to 39 PSI and no problems. Other guys drive the car and lower it down and have problems. So yes a car is an appliance and if so, some people can't drive some cars. For me I understand how the car works and if a few more PSI is going to make it work for me, fine, ain't my car.

Bottom line, have the flunkies check BOTH the temp switch and the t-stat. Not just be the remove and replace lemmings.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i need some help figuring out what is going on with my 2010 SE. Car has 2600 miles the thermostat has been replaced 2 times already and this morning check engine light came on again with code 0128 thermostat problem. Does anyone have a clue what is causng this? It takes dealer about 6 hours to change out and i am getting sick of waiting. beginning to wonder if a brought a lemon
I had the pleasure of sitting there for hours to have the thermostat replaced within a week of buying my car so I feel your pain.

I don't think it's a lemon though, more of a design flaw with the thermostat or thermostat housing.

It is a pain and Dodge definately needs to address this. Fortunately, however, it's one small isolated (though important) piece of the car and doesn't reflect on the rest of the car.

3 times to have the same issue addressed is definately not cool, though. The purpose of buying a new car is to NOT have to fix it all the time. Some free oil changes etc.. should be coming your way to compensate you for your time imho.

I think it's a ploy. They know if they leave you wandering around the dealership long enough sooner or later many SE owners are going to end up leaving with an R/T. This damn car is the only one I ever bought that actually made me seriously consider the complete foolishness of trading a car in within one year of purchase...Maybe the thermostat doesn't keep falling off the R/T? :browsmiley:

·
Banned
675 Posts
The dealership has never been able to fix my p0128 error code after my head rebuild, I hope you have better luck than me

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Maybe there is a t-stat problem, if it were bad the dealer should have a TechServicebulletin on it. I don't work for a dealer, but the dealer should have a TSB on know problems with any car. Now maybe it is like I've said a faulty temp switch, then the dealer can change the t-Stat a million times and it would still be broken. God helps thoese that help themselves if it were my car, and my money, I'd look into a aftermarket t-stat and before that I would already have had the dealer change out the temp sending switch, which is probably on the goose neck of the intake manifold so it is duck soup to change out.

I've been wrong before, it would suck to have a defective part being replaced by a defective part repeat till the owner goes insane.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Temp sending switch was replaced today. Tech wasn't too sure if this will be the final fix. Apparently the thermostat has fallen inside block the previous 2 times.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thermostat was not broken just fell inside. Doing some research apparently the thermostat housing is too large for the thermostat. Posters on other forums claim dodge is aware of this problem but do not have a fix yet.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
ah don't see how that can happen, thermo housing have been around for a hundred years, there is little issue to make the t-stat much bigger then the hole it sits in. Crazy, thanks for the information, it is a mechanical problem. I wonder if this is not partially a install problem, I understand it is hard to get to. Whey would anybody put a simple part that does break into a hard to get to place beats me..
Does not look too hard, note the note on removing the factory staking from the housing.
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=209669

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky me the check engine light came on tonight same code 0128. This will be 4th trip for repair. Missouri's lemon law states 4 times for same repair I may have to pursue that option. I am so frustrated I love my car but this is driving me insane

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
the service infor says the staking must be removed, if you want to keep the car, have them take it off in front of you and see for yourself if the surface is ground flat, if not a note to Dodge and the service managers name should work. I call BS on the t-stat falling into the engine, but who knows. More like the factory staking was not ground off letting coolant to bypass the t-stat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts