Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work yesterday my CEL suddenly came on, though engine continued to function normally. After learning about the ?key dance? trick I was able to get a code of P0128 ( coolant temperature below tstat regulating temperature).

I was able to get a replacement tstat with my employee discount for $35 CAD, but now I?m trying to decide if it?s worth putting on myself. I mean it seems relatively easy, but I?m just worried about how much coolant could leak out when disconnecting the the tstat housing? I live in a condo so I don?t really have the proper facilities or space.

So can anyone walk me through proper procedure for a thermostat swap, with bolt torque ratings? Ideally I?d like to do a rad/coolant flush while I?m at it also.

Thanks fellow Challenger enthusiasts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
This is actually a pretty easy job. I use a gallon zip lock bag and tape it up into the area underneath the thermostat housing(open obviously, and the bag drapes down into the area between the fans and the motor), it will catch most of what comes out. Because you are doing this on a cold motor, it will easily pour back into the reservoir. Whole process maybe takes in 15 mins. I do it twice per year :) About a cup of coolant will likely leak on to the ground. No big deal, but after a couple swaps you will need to add some and should only ever use OEM 50/50 mix from the dealership IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a few jugs of the mopar coolant yesterday, a few places wanted $24 CAD for a gallon. I ended up getting a few for $15 again using discount. Parts guy actually said it was concentrated and not the 50/50 mix. Gonna grab some deionized water today too, least I can use it to mix with coolant when I lose some. Anyone know if you can reach the drain **** from above rather than below?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts