Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a Jet Pro 180 thermostat. Runs cooler, but my check engine light has come on and it is staying on. Took it to the 1st dealer, they replaced the MAP sensor ( i think thats right ). Took it to the second dealer and they ran test on it and told me it was my thermostat. Has anyone had this problem? What is the fix for this. Thanks in advance for any and all input.
J

·
Registered
172 Posts
When you installed the Jet T-stat did you make sure that the "jiggle valve" or the bleeder valve was in the 12 o-clock position? That way any air that gets in the system will bleed itself out....;-) Also, you need to let the car warm up a bit before driving it right away now that you have changed the t-stat.

The computer monitors the temp and if it is not up to a certain temp in the right amount of time it will throw a code.

I let mine idle and warm up a few minutes before I take off and then I drive it in autostick for a few miles and that seems to do the trick...:) Now mine stays in a garage too so this helps a bit, but if you leave yours out just let it warm up a bit before driving it.

Finally, you need a Predator Tuner to adjust your fan settings now that you have a lower t-stat. If you don't lower the settings the new t-stat was a waste of money.

There are others on this site that are more knowledgeable about this stuff than me. I learned what I know from researching this site and asking questions as well.

You will get it worked out, just keep watching your thread and all the answers will show up....:)

Curt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Curtieman. I am in Va, leavining in a few to head back to Illinois. After my Baby cools down I will take out Thermostate and make sure Bleeder Valve is in the 12 o'clock position. I will post after to let you know if that fixed her.
Thanks,
Semper Fi
Jeff

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
the engine is coming on because its too cool for too long. thats because the tstat is opening a little sooner than the pcm wants to see.

the jiggle pin thingy is only to let air bleed to the top. air in the system would cause the car to be hotter than normal so i doubt thats the issue.

a lot of people get check engine lites with 180 tstats. myself included until I changed to a slightly higher NAPA tstat

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's correct about the jiggle pin letting air bleed to the top, I just mentioned it so that he dosen't run into trouble later on. I have a couple of friends that didn't install it properly and it caused them a lot of problems with the car getting too hot. Just tryin to help him out. Better safe than sorry....:)

Also, from my experiences the optimum settings for the fans are 190 LS 199 MS and 199 HS on all 9 fan settings. Any lower and you can be more apt to throw that code.

Remember these cars have no Medium speed fan so that is why the MS and HS are set the same. I have seen guys try the 185 LS and 195 MS & HS and some throw the code others don't. I tried it and I did get the code.

Since I went to the 190-199 and let it warm up a little I have had no more problems....:)

Good luck to ya, it will work itself out....:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.
Jeff

·
Registered
389 Posts
The warm up thing works. I'm in VA too - on the cooler days, just let it warm up for about 5 minutes before driving off. The only time I threw a code with the 180 was on a cold day - did a cold start and immediately drove off. About 15 minutes later, got a CEL. Checked the EVIC for the engine temp and it was about 160 something. Got home, cleared the code, did some research on the various forums about the 180 t-stat and they all said the same thing - warm up first, no code. Like another poster mentioned, the computer looks for a certain temp after a certain amount of time. If its not there, you get the code. There is another option - if you email your Predator tune that's on the car to DS, tell them about the t-stat issue, they can mod the tune so you don't get the CEL. I think the mod involves lowering the temp the computer "looks" for. When they email it back, just install the updated tune and you'll not have that issue any more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do I reset the CEL code?
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
172 Posts
You have to have a Predator Tuner to do that too, or you will have to take it to a dealer and have them reset it for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts