Dodge Challenger Forum banner

They Changed the Exhaust on the 2015's and Up

9K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  SoCalChallengerLover 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

Just a FYI for you.

I cut off my mid pipe mufflers on my 2014 SXT Rallye Redline with the 3.6 and it gave it a louder deeper tone than stock.

I just tried that on the new 2016 SXT Plus I just bought and it doesn't sound much different than with the stock mufflers on, very quiet maybe a hair louder than stock but hardly noticable.

So Dodge changed the exhaust somehow, don't know how but taking off the mufflers made almost no difference in sound in the 2016.

So I wasted $100.00 and now I'll probably put on some performance mufflers and try removing the rear resonators, hopefully I won't have much drone!

#3 ·
Will it sound louder than stock??

I ask because the stock mufflers mid pipe are straight through and aftermarket mufflers will be chambered won't they??

#8 · (Edited)
Ok, muffler shop said If I mount 2 Flowmasters where the mid pipe mufflers used to be and keep the rear resonators on it will be too quiet because its like having 4 mufflers on since the rear resonators are chambered like a muffler.
So, after doing some research I decided to do this........ I took the plunge and ordered 2 "Different Trends" 409 Flow 11 series SS model #49265's.
They are 2.25 in and out staggered mufflers.

These are talked about on the other site and supposedly these mufflers and the "Jones Full Bore" set up have NO drone when you remove the rear suitcase resonators and mount these mufflers where the mid pipe ones used to be, and do straight pipe to the tips.

I should have them by Wednesday and have them installed this Thursday.......I'll post how I like 'em.

#9 ·
Ok got the Different Trends mufflers installed and reso delete at the rear.
It's surprisingly quieter than I thought, almost too quiet.

Muffler shop says it's because the cans are very long, he said most performance mufflers are 14" long or less, these mufflers are 18" long. Had I known that it would have made them quieter I wouldn't have ordered them.

He did say they should get a little louder after a couple hundered miles or so, they have to break in.

If they don't get any louder I may purchase some BLACK WIDOW mufflers, I've seen/heard a YOUTUBE video on a 3.6 with Black Widow cans and it sounds like a V8!! Sounds real good but I don't want to spend another couple hundred with installation right now.

So my verdict is, it's a little louder and deeper tone but not loud enough for me.
You can't hear the mufflers at all while cruising so there is NO drone, which is good.

So, if you want "slightly" louder than stock with a mellow but deeper tone these Different Trend cans are perfect.
If you want a more agressive sound you won't be happy.

#10 · (Edited)
replace your mid-mufflers with round baffled chambered mufflers (like thrush rattlers), remove the rear suitcase mufflers and have J-pipes (1.75" in diameter, 23.5" long, I used mandrel bent header pipe) welded on. without the J-pipes you will have very bad drone at cruising speed. the exhaust headers are cast into the heads, maybe thats the difference you were noticing in the exhaust tone.

when you remove the rear suitcase mufflers you lose some low end torque. the baffled,chambered muffler actually gives you your low end torque back. think of the solo exhaust if youre not sure what J-pipes are.

if youre in the sacramento, ca area, go see Josh at No Limit Muffler in Roseville. He did mine and it sounds great. I get a little drone at start-up, but after less than 5 minutes the pipes warm up and the drone goes away.

#11 · (Edited)
Ok My "Different Trends" mufflers have broken in and the sound is louder, I'm ok with it now sounds pretty good.

I haven't noticed any low end torque loss??

These "Different Trend" mufflers are baffled and chambered and they're 18" long so I have no drone.

I was thinking of swapping out the Different Trend mufflers with some BLACK WIDOW RACE VENOM mufflers but I think they might be too loud for me.

I live down South in Riverside County but thanks for the tip on that shop.

#12 ·
Ok I've decided to go another route so I may have a set of these "Different Trends" mufflers for sale soon if anyone is interested.

Louder than stock but not too loud, no drone at ALL inside with the rear resonators deleted.

I paid $65.00 each for the pair so $130.00 total, slightly used with under 1,000 miles on them.

If I decide to sell them I'd like to get $100.00 for the pair plus shipping.
Not sure yet though.

#15 ·
Ok, the Super 44's sound GREAT!
A little louder than the Different Trends mufflers and a nice rumble at idle.
Again a little louder than the Different Trends at full throttle but not too loud, I actually expected the Flowmasters to be louder.
Also....NO drone while cruising on the highway, slight drone when going through the gears but nothing bad.

I met a guy at a shopping center I was at yesterday and he was asking me all kinds of questions about my car, he loved the color and the stripes.
I told him about the mufflers I had for sale and he asked me to hold them for him untill the end of the month.
If he doesn't buy them I'll post them on here.

#16 ·
Ok, the Super 44's sound GREAT!
A little louder than the Different Trends mufflers and a nice rumble at idle.
Again a little louder than the Different Trends at full throttle but not too loud, I actually expected the Flowmasters to be louder.
Also....NO drone while cruising on the highway, slight drone when going through the gears but nothing bad.
Glad you got the sound you were looking for. I'm sure your muffler guy is happy for all of the business too. :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.