Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I’m from the Boston New Hampshire area I want to introduce myself seems like a great forum
I just recently bought a SXT I know it’s not an eight cylinder LOL but it works best for me… Anyways my question is I heard since I’m a daily driver that if I park my car in garage after snowing all day up here… Meaning traveling to and from work and then park in garage at night , That this will cause my car to rust out quicker, because of the salt . Basically when your car defrost the liquid and salt will stay on your car has rust out over time . They say it’s better to leave it outside when it freezes So it stays frozen causing a lot less damage. My question is my garage is not heated so therefore will be very cold during winter months but will keep the snow off. What do you guys think is the best option? garage or no garage? heated garage or non-heated garage ? I appreciate all feedback and also happy to be here!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I don't buy any of that. I have been parking my cars / trucks in the garage for decades and never did any of them rust any faster then if I left them outside. Come to think about it , I haven't had any rust on any of my vehicles over the last 20 Plus years.
What I do especially in hard winters is take it to a local Drive in do it your self and pressure wash down the wheel wheels and chassis the best I can. I'll give it a bath after a hard winter snow and then park it in the garage for touch ups.
Leaving salt on your car will eventually wear it down and rust it out. I don't care if you park in the garage or outside. The garage give you the ability to maintain your ride much better then left outside. I use my garage all year around. I'm lower then you in PA right north of Philadelphia and the winters can be harsh and salty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow you have a valid point.. if you think about it so many people use garages especially in winter months. I appreciate your thorough response .
let me ask you , how often do you wash yourself car a month during winter? Also from what I gather your saying in the last 20 years you have not had a problem . Any other methods you use other than car wash ? I appreciate your answer . And thank you

the reason for asking is this is the first house purchased with a attached garage . And reading all these crazy internet posts about not parking in garage during winter had me curious .

·
Registered
107 Posts
During the warm months, I wash wax and now ceramic coat my vehicles weekly. Once you ceramic coat, you only have to maintain it monthly. Maintenance washing I do each week. You use what's called a topper like CS3 from Adam's polishes. I use basically all Adam's polishes. You should watch their winter washing videos.
Now when the temperature drops, washes become less frequent as it get to cold out to be out their washing. I look for those warmer days to get the salt and dirt off or go to the do it yourself booths that have hot water and a blow dryer. Probably down to once or twice a month. After a bad snow fall and then a heavy salting, I try to get to the do it ourself car washes as soon as it makes sense.
A beautiful products that a few companies make is waterless wash. This can get you through some times when water isn't a good option.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,385 Posts
Maybe if you have a warm garage, and you temps in your area are below freezing for salt water 100% of the time, otherwise, enjoy a dry car in the morning and find something else to worry about.
And saltwater freezing point can be as low as -5F I think.
If they are using salt, it is to melt snow/ice, so no matter what, you have saltwater under your car, might as well let it drip dry a bit.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Hi all
I’m from the Boston New Hampshire area I want to introduce myself seems like a great forum
I just recently bought a SXT I know it’s not an eight cylinder LOL but it works best for me… Anyways my question is I heard since I’m a daily driver that if I park my car in garage after snowing all day up here… Meaning traveling to and from work and then park in garage at night , That this will cause my car to rust out quicker, because of the salt . Basically when your car defrost the liquid and salt will stay on your car has rust out over time . They say it’s better to leave it outside when it freezes So it stays frozen causing a lot less damage. My question is my garage is not heated so therefore will be very cold during winter months but will keep the snow off. What do you guys think is the best option? garage or no garage? heated garage or non-heated garage ? I appreciate all feedback and also happy to be here!
Had an unheated garage for a while. Parked my Porsche in it after driving it in the bad weather, including snow.

Even though the garage was unheated quite a bit of the slush/snow/ice that had accumulated in the wheel wells melted and dripped salty water down on the tires/wheels/brake hardware and whatever else was in the water's path.

What I would do is whenever the ambient temperature got above freezing is I would take the car to a nearby DIY car wash and use the rinse setting to rinse the car down including rinsing away and accumulated snow/ice in the wheel wells or other places. I carried a piece of plastic sheet in the trunk to use to put on the ground so I could kneel down and spray the underside of the car to remove any salt that had gotten splashed on the car.

Snow and ice really accumulated on the car. See pic below.

Snowy Boxster 2.jpg

After washing when leaving the wash bay and the car wash lot be very aware that the lot can be a sheet of ice. I darn near slid my car down a drive into the path of an approaching pick up on the main road. Thankfully the excellent Porsche ABS saved me.

Drive the car and use the brakes enough to get them hot enough to thoroughly dry the brake hardware.

Or once in a while I'd use a garden hose at home connected to the laundry room sink faucet and rinse the car down while parked on the driveway. I'd adjust the faucet to deliver warm water which melted the snow/ice quicker.

Come the onset of warmer weather -- with no more snow -- I'd treat the car to a thorough hand wash and rinse with a wipe down after. And once or twice a year a wax.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Another one that parks their car in an unheated garage. No way in hell I'm leaving my car out in the snow when I have a nice attached garage that I can park it in. :) Never had any issues with rust.

I am, however, more worried about my Challenger since it's known to rust from the inside-out in the rear fenders - right in front of the rear wheels. Not really related to your specific question though. I have a feeling that my Challenger won't be a long-term vehicle due to rust issues (seems to be caused by the foam that the put between the frame and the sheet metal). More related to moisture than salt though. Water gets in there and soaks that foam, which then causes the metal to rust from the inside-out. Plenty of pictures of this on the forum if you search.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great answers from everyone ..
Much appreciated
From what I gather from answers it seems one way or another I’m facing the winter , either inside garage or parked outside. I will take my chances inside a garage and wash her down as much as possible get all ice/snow.. SALT, off of her
Thanks for responses

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Take the Train or Bus to work in winter. Or get a Beater. I moved to sunny (but liberal) California to get away from the snow.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Another one that parks their car in an unheated garage. No way in hell I'm leaving my car out in the snow when I have a nice attached garage that I can park it in. :) Never had any issues with rust.

I am, however, more worried about my Challenger since it's known to rust from the inside-out in the rear fenders - right in front of the rear wheels. Not really related to your specific question though. I have a feeling that my Challenger won't be a long-term vehicle due to rust issues (seems to be caused by the foam that the put between the frame and the sheet metal). More related to moisture than salt though. Water gets in there and soaks that foam, which then causes the metal to rust from the inside-out. Plenty of pictures of this on the forum if you search.
My Porsche and VW Gofl TDi had their body cavities filled with wax. And the Porsche had a good layer of some kind of cosmoline like stuff sprayed on all the steel/aluminum parts under the car including the engine block, sump, transmission, etc.

No problems other than after I bought the VW and warmer weather arrived the driver's side door would leak wax out when I left the car parked in the direct sun for a while. I'd remove this wax when I opened the door. After a while -- maybe a month give or take -- the wax leaking stopped.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I LOVE snow, I love driving in snow, I love driving on snow. I despise slushy melted salty slush.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
No such thing as rust in Southern Arizona. Rubber, plastic and fabric getting eaten by the Sun, that's another story. And what is this "snow" thing you speak of? I guess the closest thing we have is every ten or twenty years some water falls from the sky for a couple minutes. Don't know where it comes from, but it does. I heard other places get that more often and they have a name for it. Something like "rain" I believe.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
One thing I am a firm believer of is parking over gravel/grass leads to more rust underneath than parking on pavement.
That is from my own experience as a kid with my dad's driveway being gravel, and neighbors that had either gravel or paved. And everyone had the same basic cars. Like at one time 3 out of 6 had 1970 Impala/Biscayne's then 2 of us had 1975 Impala/Caprices, and the gravel driveway cars rusted faster.
This was in Monroeville, (East suburbs of Pittsburgh) where if you don't like the weather, wait until tomorrow, it will be totally different (and you still won't like it).

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I live in southern NH on the seacoast. Drove the first couple of winters, and stored in garage. My Challenger has 175k and is 11 years old. Pretty much perfect. I would not be concerned.

IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I live in southern NH on the seacoast. Drove the first couple of winters, and stored in garage. My Challenger has 175k and is 11 years old. Pretty much perfect. I would not be concerned.

View attachment 1002851
I love hot the snow line matches the body line and none slipped off. I LOVE snow, just hate it when the salt/cinders makes it all sloppy and gross.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts