Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am absolutely sick and at a loss here...

My 3 day old Go Green 392 T/A went in on Tuesday to have its final inspection, detailing, etc. from the dealership and then was to go to Body Shop for Xpel Stealth Wrap, etc...

Just got a call from my salesman, you need to come to the body shop, we have some issues...

1. Someone drew about a one foot sized arrow on the trunk with their finger in the dust, scrathched the black vinyl and will not come out, can see it very strongly in the sun.

2. When they PDI the car whomever moron that removed the front bumper corner protectors drug them sideways leaving large scratches in both corners of the bumper.

3. They installed the Xpel Stealth on the hood, however it looks like absolute garbage, you can see white clouding all over where it appears it did not adhere completely and there are several small bumps/bubbles, like small dust particles between the Vinyl and the hood...they are trying to remove the Xpel cover now, I had to leave as I could not watch...

Going back in a bit to inspect the damage, they want to try again but I don't dare, I am sick about what the vinyl will look like after this is done.

I was so excited to go pick up the car today and instead now begins a circus...the dealership is being great, very apologetic and said they will replace the bumper and the trunk if it cannot be fixed and now waiting to see what happens with the hood.

Meh...my excitement is now sickness...I hate stupid people...:crying:

·
Registered
694 Posts
they might be able to work out the spoiler, if they know what they are doing, but on the xpel first mistake was to have the dealer do it. should have found an expert company that did this kind of work. on the vinyl i have black vinyl on my sp & yes it's much more fragile than i thought. but wouldn't have thought just making a mark in dust would ruin it unless somebody dug on it hard. hopefully you haven't paid for it & have some leverage.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It blows...

The dealer does NOT do the wrap, it is a custom shop they use and I went and met with them prior to having them do it, thats what they do, they did my truck and it is fine, but clearly they did a rush or crap job on this, which blows my mind on this car. I am going to try some Dr. Beasly's myself and see if I can get the arrow out, these monkey's will try to buff it out or something...and the dealer already ordering a replacement for the front lower...

Hopefully the hood is ok after pulling off the Xpel...will report back...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Everyone's biggest nightmare. I am so sorry to read this and I hope that they are able to fix it for you. Vinyl is hit or miss sometimes. If you are in the northeast, I have a place that I would recommend. They are certified by the product vendors for installation and do excellent work. Anything from window tinting to full body wraps.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
That's terrible news, did you accept delivery already? If not don't pay until it's exactly as you wish. Hoping it all works out.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Dang, and I thought the story was going to about how someone from the dealer literally WRECKED your car, like wrapped it around a pole while joy riding it. Anyways, Dodge has published a specific set of instructions for cleaning and maintaining the satin painted areas of the car, which I think is what your T/A has, a painted satin hood. See post #8 here: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f40/satin-black-hood-help-560145/
This will upload the .pdf from Dodge.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in Canada just North of Montana...

What sucks the most is a certified Xpel rep and installer is on site at the shop today, he aided the tech in doing this job, I am at a loss on it...my salesman called me as soon as he looked at it...the installer and the Xpel guy agreed ya it doesn't look good and both said we have no idea how thats going to come off but the sooner the better...

I will let you know how it comes off.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A Plus
77 Posts
Dont fret on on the trunk wrap. Dodge can get the replacement to the dealer and once replaced you will never know. My T/A came from the factory with a piece of plastic backing still attached underneath the roof wrap near the windshield. Local body shop did the work. looks perfect. No issues. Roof rails... that was a circus... but the wrap replacement was cake.

·
Registered
410 Posts
XPEL should be able to come off pretty easy. Though, I had it put on my front end and I'm not particularly impressed with it.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
The vinyl wrap on the trunklid can be re-done

For the Xpel install, since its freshly done, it will come off more readily and they'll use heat to assist in removing it.

It will probably need to have the satin paint cleaned carefully to remove any adhesive residue and not burnish that satin finish...

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
How about when you go back snap some pics with that smart phone in your pocket so us curious CTers can take a gander! :)

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good morning,

Woke up at 4 am thinking about this damn car, anyway, update they have ordered the new wrap for the trunk straight from Chrysler, as well have a Chrysler rep working with the dealership to try and fix the hood...

They removed the Xpel yesterday, came off ok but once off the hood does not look right, hard to tell in the pictures but there are some discoloured shiny areas FINGERS CROSSED it is just residue, they were cleaning themselves at the dealership as per the Chrysler instructions, the salesman was actually headed out himself to get some Dr. Beasly or the like to clean the hood...

However upon further inspection we noticed the plastic hood scoop is also discoloured, turned it white, not sure if it was a residue or if whatever cleaner the body shop used wrecked...

I am crushed no doubt...that said the dealership is awesome, they said the car will be 100%, whatever it takes...I have signed the paperwork and I did take delivery as we had to wait for the Xpel to come, so the car is mine, but the dealership is not trying to duck out, they will order a new hood from factory they said if need be, they are as p!ssed off as I am.

Here are a couple pics, very had to tell, sucks because rest of car looks so good...but look at the very front of hood, can see the discolouration and you can see the discoloured hood scoop...

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, they front vinyl decal is very shiny, that is with the Xpel Stealth on it...I told them to please remove it ASAP as well, as once we get the hood right I am not putting that stuff back on...I know some have had some success but I am obviously never touching the stuff again...

The Xpel Tech that helped do this job is from Texas and is the guy who trains dealers of Xpel to install it, he did the hood with the Tech here...he had nothing to say other then shrugged his shoulders and said we could try it again next week, just need to order more product...f me...

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I personally would have the dealer unwrap the hood and header panel and go to a good body shop and have it painted "Hot Rodder Black" (Let the dealer pay for it). Paint is better anyway because they can suff and paint the bottom of the hood too. My 2015 R/T I had done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Frank you keep suggesting to paint the hood, but I am certain the hood comes painted from factory, just the roof and trunk are wraps...

At any rate fingers crossed cleaning it removes all the residue or this is going to become a long drawn out affair I am sure...meh...

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
The hood is painted, everything else vinyl. That's one one of the downsides to the blackout, it's a mess to fix. If they send a new hood, won't it need to be painted too? I believe the hoods are painted at Ground Effects, maybe the replacement could come from them but that would be unusual, body color hoods come in black and need to be painted. Sounds like a good dealer, hope it works out.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
Yes all satin black hoods are painted at Ground Effects, the ones you can buy from the factory are just primer black. I am sorry you have had such a tough time but I really believe in the Xpel Stealth, mine looks amazing and it has been holding up great! As to the nose decal, if they are using the right stuff it should make the decal more dull, not more shiny! The Xpel Stealth can make a slightly shiny hood -dull as well, we experimented with this recently and it worked.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Triumph - ya I confirmed with them it was 100% Xpel Stealth and as I have said the dude from Xpel was there...I am glad you and others have had such good luck...

Update, this dealer is awesome, which is surprising I know! But they are car guys and they get it, they overnighted a new front piece, its already on...they ordered the vinyl for the trunk and they have ordered the Mopar paint to repaint the hood...very happy with the service there, will be a couple weeks but they guarantee the car will be 100% or better then when they received it before they are done with the transaction...

Here is hoping.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles BUT .....

I'd make them keep the car and ORDER YOU A NEW ONE.

50K and you have to settle for 2nd rate garbage ... no way !!!!

A hood repaint ??? ........ that is total B.S.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts