Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning 4 Challengers, and dozens of muscle cars, I think I am over it and ready to make a change. Wife is tired of museum cars that only go out on perfect sunny days and have limited fun factor for her.

She suggested considering a Jeep Wrangler on these merits:

1. Convertible/Open Air Experience.
2. Can put a tow hitch on it for bicycles, etc.
3. No need to be so obsessed about the Jeep getting rock chips, etc. Plastic Fenders!!!
4. Something she would enjoy much more.

So, I drove a Willy's edition 2 door in auto and stick. I think a 6-speed manual Jeep is in my future. I really enjoyed driving it, it's a different kind of fun. Perfect for taking to the beach, or little get aways. If I get caught in the rain, I won't need meds and therapy, and a week to detail the car. Thought about waiting for the '18 to drop, but the only big appeal I see is the Wrangler gets the *-speed auto. However, wanting a manual negates that for me.

Sounds like a breath of fresh air!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've owned both Wrangler & Challenger! I personally prefer the Challenger, but the Wrangler can be fun especially if you've never owned one. They certainly have a ton of different mods you can do to them, more so than any other vehicle on the market. After owning a Wrangler for awhile, it's get to be a pain taking the top on & off, but with the top down and doors off it is fun! Enjoy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Nag (New Automatic Gearbox) in the current model is a great trans, and its designed by Mercedes. I think I'd rather have it than the new one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Nag (New Automatic Gearbox) in the current model is a great trans, and its designed by Mercedes. I think I'd rather have it than the new one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It is a great trans, though to me the manual just felt so appropriate in a Jeep. I think I prefer the manual above all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've owned both Wrangler & Challenger! I personally prefer the Challenger, but the Wrangler can be fun especially if you've never owned one. They certainly have a ton of different mods you can do to them, more so than any other vehicle on the market. After owning a Wrangler for awhile, it's get to be a pain taking the top on & off, but with the top down and doors off it is fun! Enjoy!
With the Jeep being the third car, I'd say the percentage of time the top is off will be 90%. I'll pop for a soft top in case we get caught in rain, or it turns cold.

I see Edlebrock makes a 50 state legal supercharger too.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We have both a Jeep and a Challenger. Each have their merits.

Get the 3.73 rear in the Jeep. You'll thank me later. I also hope you don't suffer from Challenger regret down the road like so many others who have gone down the path you're on.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have both a Jeep and a Challenger. Each have their merits.

Get the 3.73 rear in the Jeep. You'll thank me later. I also hope you don't suffer from Challenger regret down the road like so many others who have gone down the path you're on.
I doubt I will. Cruise nights, ice cream runs, Sunday drives....it's all gone kind of stale. If I start to miss the feeling of power, I can always throw a supercharger on the Jeep. The Willys edition has the 3.73's, so I should be covered.

One nice thing about Jeep Wranglers. They hold their value really well. I could enjoy it for a few years and not get hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
We have a 1997 Jeep we bought in 1998 , one of the best vehicles I ever own .
Top have been off since 1999 , love using it for around town ,going to beach ,
Every where I do not want our Challenger to go ,lol
Also a great company for add ons / mods is Quadratec
Enjoy your Jeep

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Don't freakin do it, you will regret it oh so much like myself.
He might regret it, but it's not like a modern Challenger is rare. There are Challengers galore in dealer inventory right now. With the Demon coming out their will even be a big glut of lightly used Hellcats to choose from.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No regrets. For Pete's sake, 4 Challengers, Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, GN's , Trans Ams, Roadrunner 440-6, Duster 340, on and on. I'm 50 this year, time for something different. I have had a long run on muscle cars....I'm done.

My Challenger experiences have been fun, but I have had enough of being worried about where I park, getting stone chips/scratches, getting caught in the rain. As my wife says, "too much of the enjoyment of that car comes from just staring at it and polishing it" lol.

I can park the plastic fendered Wrangler and not worry about a door flying into them, or getting caught in a storm while out. With the tow package, I can throw a bike carrier on it and take the wife/kids on outings while enjoying the top being off.

Lot's of of fun, not just "go fast" fun, which quite honestly has it's drawbacks. Not like I'm trading the Challenger for a Prius.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No regrets. For Pete's sake, 4 Challengers, Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, GN's , Trans Ams, Roadrunner 440-6, Duster 340, on and on. I'm 50 this year, time for something different. I have had a long run on muscle cars....I'm done.

With a list like that, I doubt you're done. Nice list BTW!!... You're just bored for now. You'll be back. It's in your blood. :smile:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Since you're worried about protecting the Challengers' exterior so much why don't you just get the exterior Rhino coated! You'll never have to worry about dents and scratches again. You don't need to wax it either. Sure the exterior will look a little rough, but you Challenger would be really unique and you'll never have to worry about exterior issues again. Otherwise get the Jeep, but they aren't the same type of fun like others have said.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
After owning 4 Challengers, and dozens of muscle cars, I think I am over it and ready to make a change. Wife is tired of museum cars that only go out on perfect sunny days and have limited fun factor for her.

She suggested considering a Jeep Wrangler on these merits:

1. Convertible/Open Air Experience.

2. Can put a tow hitch on it for bicycles, etc.

3. No need to be so obsessed about the Jeep getting rock chips, etc. Plastic Fenders!!!

4. Something she would enjoy much more.

So, I drove a Willy's edition 2 door in auto and stick. I think a 6-speed manual Jeep is in my future. I really enjoyed driving it, it's a different kind of fun. Perfect for taking to the beach, or little get aways. If I get caught in the rain, I won't need meds and therapy, and a week to detail the car. Thought about waiting for the '18 to drop, but the only big appeal I see is the Wrangler gets the *-speed auto. However, wanting a manual negates that for me.

Sounds like a breath of fresh air!!

Consider a Toyota Tacoma. Here's why:
1. Mine has 4 doors and rear seats for extra people convenience. But, unlike my SUV, it's useful because of the bed. Can't throw dirt, sod, bricks, fire wood, etc., in the back of a Jeep or SUV without trashing it.

2. Tacos run forever. I bought a new one because used ones are expensive, they hold value.

3. They are practical. Not too big so they fit in my garage, small streets, stop quick, get great mileage, but hold plenty of stuff. Handle good to.

4. 4 WD and Towing: Check.

5. Can be made awesome with plenty of aftermarket goodies.

6. Very good off road vehicles.

If I only could have one car, vice 3, I'd have the Taco. With out a doubt, it's the most useful and practical vehicle I've ever owned. Fun to drive also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I feel the same way but I have a 4runner trail that I actually climb earth with ?. Originally I was looking at a jeep before the 4runner but besides the removable top the 4runner won in every category for me and the backseat room/comfort is way better. Other things that made me go towards the 4runner is it's more secure and I don't have to worry about anyone piping my hood and messing with it etc. with 4runner all the windows roll down and that is enough no need to take the roof off and no need to lock down any of my stuff. You can find a good used one for a decent price. To each their own though

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've owned several Wranglers over the years, just joined the challenger people... here are my notes on wranglers
1. make sure you have air conditioning (not sure if it's even an option to not have it...) but imagine driving around in the rain in a zip lock bag... my first jeep was this way
2. if you get half doors, expect that you will get wet when ever you want to open your window in the rain or snow - it folds in...
3. soft tops are a must if you want to drop the top... the hard tops weigh like 500 pounds (they make winches you can mount in your garage to remove a hard top) - almost nobody does
4. my last I traded (for the challenger) was a BASIC 2 door soft top 2009 - air and cruise - still had crank windows and manual locks manual trans had 120,000 miles on it, and only had to replace the steering stabilizer (yes, only work done on the car in 120,000 miles) still got $10,000 in trade
5. don't expect to use the back seat in a 2 door - only little kids can make it back there - seriously ... the older models used to have a tumble passenger seat, now it only leans and slides - my german shepherd couldn't even get in...
6. get a pair of gloves for dropping the soft top - it collects road grime and it will be all over your hands - I picked up a cheap set of cloth gloves and stored it with the jack
7. expect to have your wheels re-balanced at the 75% wear mark - it will cause the jeep to wobble - tire place will tell you to replace them early - not necessary - my 2015 just hit 50,000 and I had a wobble - it was the wheel balance
8. there are drain plugs through out the jeep to allow you to drain the water if you get caught in the rain... I pulled the carpet out of my 09 and would literally wash it out with a hose or a leaf blower
9. learn how to take care of the plastic windows on a soft top - never go in a touch car wash - use cloth only (never paper towels) with an appropriate plastic window cleaner - and learn how to polish out scratches (tons of jeep web sites will guide you on care)
10. all wrangler drivers wave at each other... just like bikers
11. get rid of your ramps... changing the oil I put a piece of cardboard down and slide under to pull the drain plug (no jack necessary)
12. the two door likes to rotate when you are on ice... its the short wheel base - the 4 door is better (longer).. you will almost never find a winter situation that isn't made better by the 4WD... especially a manual (allows downshifting)... the v6 is a high rpm engine...so that is where your power band is, and consequently when you want to downshift you have to reach for a lower gear than just 1 down...
13. my 4 door can sometimes fall on it's face when I'm trying to start out (manual) - a K&N filter helped this a bit.
14. if you practice dropping the top (or do it frequently) you can have it down in less than 5 minutes
15. it's not a quiet or soft ride... expect it and you won't be disappointed - part of its ruggedness comes from the solid front axle - this does impact gas mileage and ride - (23MPG by the way)
16. you will rarely talk on the phone on the highway (though the hard top is tolerable) a soft top is loud
17. if you've never had a 4WD before learn when and where to engage 4H - you can really screw up your drive train leaving it in 4WD on dry pavement = $50 replacement of your universals on the drive shaft
18. there is no car that has more accessories than a wrangler... you can spend a ton of money and time making it your own... have fun and find a 4wd group near you who can take you on some trails (even beginner ones with stock jeeps) - trail riding is a BLAST and the only recommendation for the simple trails is a rear tow hook which many wranglers come stock with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Challenger (3rd if you count the one I just had for a month before this one) but I've also had a couple Wranglers. When I decided I needed to get out of the beater and back into a fun car, Challenger and Jeep were neck and neck. Challenger won out for a couple reasons - including financially! The Jeeps are so much more expensive for the same miles/years (new or used), and of course even the lowliest Wrangler gets about the same gas mileage as an SRT... But the Jeep takes it for versatility and of course never having to wash it. =0)

That said, when I'm done with this Challenger I am 99% sure my next car will be another JK, or maybe even a JL.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts