Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Figured this would be a good place to ask, seeing as a lot of people here own a classic or two...or six.
Im looking at either...
A) selling my '11 SXT and buying a 09-11 R/T-SRT this summer.
or
B) Keeping my '11 SXT and buying a cheaper drivable classic mopar..like a 1968 Dart that is in town for sale..

Anyways, Im just trying to figure out if it worth the money he is asking (which i don't believe it is.) It runs and drives from what I've been told, and is not 100% original, was originally a 6 Cylinder and now has a 340 w/ a 4 speed in it. Just want to get a lot of info, and opinions before i start discussing price.

Here is some info from his ad...

"1968 Dodge Dart, 340-4 speed, original 6 cylinder car. J-Heads, 3:23 Posi, headers, aluminum intake, new tires, front brakes, battery. Needs interior work. Many extras. $8000, no trades. Mileage unknown."

Here is what he said after i emailed him the first time...

"The car is an original 6 cylinder car. It now has a 340 4-speed. The engine is a 1970 340 meaning it has a the good steel crank. There are no records at all but was told the engine was completely rebuild a few years back. The car is very fast. Extras are; two front bucket seats(need to be redone but hard to find), a brand new interior carpet, an automatic shifter and console, 3 grills-one 68 grill and two 69 grills complete with headlight bezels. The price is negotiable but I'm not dropping the price a whole lot."

Im going to be talking to my friend "Hemifried on here" as he is in my challenger club, somewhat local and knows classic cars like the back of his hand, just to try to figure out what the thing is worth, as i don't know a whole lot about the technicals of classic cars, but like modern cars wanted to get into it.
Want some i can drive nice days during the summer, and bring to shows as I'm modding it over university with my SXT (if i went that route.)

With my insurance, age is not a factor on older cars (they said my brothers '20' age wasn't a factor in insuring his 98 R34 Skyline.

Is it worth it to try to pick up the car for a decent price or just buy an SRT?

I know it doesnt look perfect in pictures for the interior, and id want to see it in person (or at least have a mechanic look at it) before I made and offer if i decided to go for it. but what do people think?

Ill include pictures..

Shifty

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a '10 R/T Challenger and my wife has a '65 Mustang Conv as our toy cars. The old mustang was fun at first, and gets more attention then the Challenger. After having both for a few years I would rather drive the Challenger. It's faster, more comfortable, and reliable. No a/c, manual brakes, 48 year old suspension/steering technology, a frequent repairs/adjustments limits the mustangs enjoyment. You should take Dart for a test ride that includes stop/go traffic and highway miles to see what you are going to have to live with. If I had my choice I would probably get a restro-mod (old car with modern drivetrain and suspension) but they are expensive if done right.

Don

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Tough choice...

I had a "Cherry" 67' Z28/RS. I used it as a daily driver. I was afraid to resto-mod because it was 1 of 600 built.
It was fun, but a TERRIBLE daily driver for S. Texas. It had NO AC. Rear drum brakes (stopped like sh!t). Had solid lifters that always needed adjusting. It always needed to be timed...so I installed electronic timing. The motor was pre-catalytic converter...so it never ran properly...unless I used Aviation Gasoline...or a couple of bottles of Octane Boost. It did not have power steering. so at slow speed, you had to "wrench the steering wheel."

I lost it in a divorce. If I had a do-over. I'd have "Resto-Modded" it to the HILT. I'd have put the original motor on a stand. And kept the suspension parts in a box (that way, I could have maintained the potential value...while driving a modern car ...with a classic body).

There is really NOTHING good about the old cars.....other than styling. They couldn't stop. They couldn't TURN. They had no creature comforts (It was a GIANT GO-CART). I liked it because it smelled like "unburnt gasoline,"...was LOUD, and had TONS of Q, and an amateur like me could actually WORK ON IT (also had tons of room for wrench turning). It was slower than my 88 Mustang GT. The Challenger SXT would ABSOLUTELY EAT IT...in EVERY Category. But here is the REALITY: A 2014 Challenger "tech wise,".... is to a 1970 Challenger,....As is a 1970 Challenger is to a 1926 Dodge Roadster." There is a LIFETIME of development between them. All that talk about late 60's muscle being faster than modern muscle is total BS. There was only 27 years difference between a P-51 Mustang and an F-15 Eagle.

If I were you. I would buy the DART. It was not an original Muscle Car (being a V6)...so you can create a MODERN [email protected] Dart (without FEAR of losing value, like I did). You will need: a fuel injected crate motor, Subframe Connectors (or build a frame), Coil Over Shocks, BIG DISC BRAKES, A/C rebuild...or Year One replacement, strut braces, drive shaft, etc. I suspect that your "Resto Dart" will be a great daily driver....BUT it WILL COST MORE than a new SRT. If you build it right, it will be faster and prove to be a good daily driver.

I would never build a garage queen.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
What is the condition of the Dart's frame and body? When I was in high school back in the early 80's I drove a 74 Duster as a DD. I nicknamed it "ruster" for a good reason. It was fast as he!! in a straight line. Braking and handling wasn't that great. If the Dart is in good shape body and frame wise and if you have $$$, converting it to a 426 Hemi light weight clone would be a cool project. This is assuming the original "6 banger" chassis is up to the task. But for the dollars spent, don't expect to turn a profit...even if you restore/cleanup the "340 version". A used SRT may be a better deal and as much fun. It depends what you want and what you want to do.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
If you have storage for the dart...I would keep the SXT and get the Dart.

If you don't want to have to fix the hundreds of little things that break on old cars...Buy an SRT....

All depends on you and your skills as a mechanic....

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Neither, Instead of an SRT, get another three letter car.....G-T-R!!!! lol. I would go modern. Older cars are good toys but not a good idea for a daily. You may not be able to count on it when you really need it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Do what I did....get the Dart and convert it to a SRT.... I put a 6.1 in it that has a 4spd behind it....not the same as the new Challenger but a blast to bang gears

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im going to go see it tomorrow and bringing along a buddy that has restored his fair share of mopars to see and evaluate it with me.

Wont be a daily driver the SXT Challenger will be it. Would be a Resto-Mod/Pro Touring slow build over years. and would only come out on sunny days.

It would be under a cover during the summer and in a storage facility during the winter. I don't want a show car, I want a car i can enjoy driving when the sun is shining, upgrade it to make it more up to date and funner to drive, etc. over the years. The SXT would get modded for AutoX and daily driving while the Dart would just get upgraded to cruising.

i don't expect it to be perfect, hell my current challenger isn't.. Just something to build and mess with.

Apparently it has 0 rust, and was only driven on sunny days for 2 hours or less when driven.
A decent amount of extra parts that i could sell, (2 69 grilles and another 68 grille.some seats etc.)

Ill take pictures tomorrow and upload them and see about it. I like the Idea because you won't see them as much as I'm starting to see challengers, I can wrench on it and break it and it won't be as terrible or urgent to fix it as my challenger. or as difficult.

Plus it would be funny to see a 68 Dart next to my brothers 98 R34 GTT Skyline and my uncles R35 GTR and my other uncles Camaro. lol

Shifty

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
The biggest red flag on that car is the lack of side marker lights.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Side markers were a US requirement. Not sure when they turned up on the Dart sold in Canada.

Do your homework and check for bondo! Looks like a possible cool project.

:hippy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mileage unkown. .0 paperwork... not hardly in any way original..needs interior kit.....? Does it at least have a title? Lookin like a 2800$ car.not to be rude but they just arent worth 8000 $. All o.g. and dam near mint with low milea...maybe 8 then. Seen them go all day in east tx for 4k in excellent condition! As far as old school goes...u want a fun project on the side for reasonable......go with a belvedere..a satelite... a coronet..even a 2 door fury. Those are all cars u could easily find running for under 8k...satellite maybe a little higher...the fury you could get for under 4k easily. But all of those cars could bring u a lot of fun on a reasonable budget...maybe u even make a few dollars if u decide to sell later on....just nothin on the bone with the dart. Hope this helps u...there is quite a few cool reasonble oldschools..but brand new reliable with warranty hp! Priceless. Lol...but always more fun to have both! I got a watch a couple years ago from my wife....it was quite expensive. .almost traded it straight up for a 66 tempest abiut 2 weeks ago. Wife told me it would be a divorce. I said y? I said that it woulda been way cooler if she had got me a 66 tempest instead of a nice watch. Apparently that was somehow an a=hole
Thing to think or say.? I dont get it. I dont get ANY either right now! Lmao...I shoulda got the car
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Neat car,if it was a real 340 car I would say go for it.Being a 6cyl car they need to come down on the price in my opinion.
I've had two 340 Dusters,there light like the Dart,I thought they brake and handle pretty well.
There not large,and nose heavy like the big block cars.
The 340 is a very stout and dependable motor,easy to work on,take well to mod's,they will haul in this light car.
Just the engine and trans,are worth some coin!
Make sure it has an 8 3/4 rear,round with no bolts in the back.if it is small with bolts on the rear cover,7 1/4 it's crap,the 340 will kill it!

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a huge post made out explaining but i went to post it and it failed for some reason...

So to sum it up, I don't think ill get it as it needs a lot more work than what he was originally saying to get it to the point id want it to be.. (starts up and runs better than it did, engine has an issue, and has a lot more rust than he said, along with work that was done to it wasn't the best or 3/4 of the best.

8k is toooo much for the car in its condition, it would be more around 5k.
It does have the Posi, 8 3/4, actual 5 Speed manual originally, but just a little bit too much work to get it to the "starting point" of a car id like.

Seeing it and hearing it though, really did hit a soft part in my heart though. I like the 68 dart a lot more than i thought i would, along with classics in general.

Thanks all for input.

Shifty

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wouldn't buy it because its been painted plum crazy purple which wasn't a '68 color nor were the rally wheels.
If that were a different color I would say its easily a 8k car if it truly is a no rust car. I say go for the old car, I have 3 old cars & have been daily driving them for years. Got a '09 Challenger just for something different. Would hands down sell the '09 before any of my old ones.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My opinion is you really have to have a passion for the old classics not just think their cool. They are cool but they are a completely different animal they have a mind of their own I guess you could say, being a basic 6 cyl car there isn't going to be any power anything most likely I owned a 70 Dart 340\4 speed when I was young and it was a blast, hot rod right out of the factory but you had to work your ass off to drive the damn thing. If you decide on the Dart make sure you've got a good box of tools and a fridge full of beer in the garage

·
Registered
81 Posts
If u want a Dart buy a Big Block Dart...I've got a '71 with a 440...light weight and fast. All mine needs is new gears...currently has the stock 2.76 peg leg, it will light it up at almost any speed...still amazing how fast it is even with these lame gears. Power to weight ratio...

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts