Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a catch can from Diablosport but want to know some more about it first. Anyone willing to tell me more about what it does and the possible benefits that come along with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Keeps oil out of your intake manifold. Some say it's snake oil as the oil will be burned off and thus does not need one. Some of us like the insurance by keeping the intake as clean as possible.

I run mine and empty it every time I do my oil change. There is a noticeable amount in there.

Also note there is no "performance" attributed with a Catch can. You can also purchase them from Billet Tech, Morroso and anyone else reselling Billet Tech stuff (everyone). I would buy out of state and save sales tax.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Yesterday I pulled the intake manifold to replace the knock sensors on my 2002 Suburban with a 5.3. As I rotated the manifold to clean the gasket surfaces oil came pouring out of it, then cleaning the mating surfaces on the engine the ports going to the cylinders were filthy with oil and buildup. I'm tempted to put a catch can on this but it's a 10 year old car and the damage is already done. Put one on your new car!!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the info, I was wondering if it had any performance boost or if its just for protection. Either way I think ill probably get one just to be safe knowing it at least helps keep my car running smoothly.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Oil Catch Cans collect the oil, moisture and blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake manifold, throttle body, intake track, and even the air filter system instead of the engine re-burning them. This helps to keep the engine clean even under hard driving conditions.

There are various negative effects when excess oil vapor contaminates the intake system from the stock PCV system, such as:

·Throttle body and/or MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) malfunction or failure.
·Air filter, intercooler (if equipped) and intake ducting contamination if oil pools and run back out the intake system after engine shutdown.
.Reduced octane of the air/fuel mixture, which can cause detonation and the ECM (Engine Control Module) to retard timing, thereby reducing engine power.
·Excessive carbon build-up on valves, piston crowns, combustion chambers and spark plugs. This also increases the chance of detonation and power loss.
·Increased emissions & possible contamination of catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.

Dodge does not install them due to the expense, and the fact that they must be emptied every 1,500 miles. This creates a problem of frequent maintenance, as well as possible contaminants.

Another advantage- When you install them with stainless steel braided lines, they look great under the hood. Check mine out.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just emptied my catch can today and it prevented a shot glass full of oil from going into my intake! Get one! ( I have the Billet Technology one and it's great)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil Catch Cans collect the oil, moisture and blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake manifold, throttle body, intake track, and even the air filter system instead of the engine re-burning them. This helps to keep the engine clean even under hard driving conditions.

There are various negative effects when excess oil vapor contaminates the intake system from the stock PCV system, such as:

·Throttle body and/or MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) malfunction or failure.
·Air filter, intercooler (if equipped) and intake ducting contamination if oil pools and run back out the intake system after engine shutdown.
.Reduced octane of the air/fuel mixture, which can cause detonation and the ECM (Engine Control Module) to retard timing, thereby reducing engine power.
·Excessive carbon build-up on valves, piston crowns, combustion chambers and spark plugs. This also increases the chance of detonation and power loss.
·Increased emissions & possible contamination of catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.

Dodge does not install them due to the expense, and the fact that they must be emptied every 1,500 miles. This creates a problem of frequent maintenance, as well as possible contaminants.

Another advantage- When you install them with stainless steel braided lines, they look great under the hood. Check mine out.
Really appreciate the info, the picture also just sold it for me haha. Plus more reason to go under the hood every 1500 miles is ok in my book. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
it MAY help w/ performance when your car has 100,000 miles on is......keeping your engine cleaner

it is amazing how much oil is in there after a couple of thousand miles

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
i'm a catch can adict, it gave me about 23 Hp at the rear wheels.:bigthumb:,:notallthere:

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
Im thinking about getting a catch can from Diablosport but want to know some more about it first. Anyone willing to tell me more about what it does and the possible benefits that come along with it? Thanks.

There is no doubt about it, catch cans prevent oil from going into your intake. The real question is if you think oil in the intake is OK or not. I can tell you that I personally have a catch can, and after 13k miles have kept multiple cups of oil out of my intake. I consider that a good thing :clap:

·
Registered
2012 Challenger RT
386 Posts
My car had catch can / CAI surgery and it successfully removed an ugly tumor that was growing on my factory air intake LOL

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I love posting this picture :)

Clearly you see the need for a catch can. The TB on the left had about 60k on it with no catch can, the TB on the right had 53k but had a catch can since day 2 (it's my TB on the right).

We have plenty of catch cans in stock in various colors and can get you something custom engraved if you'd like! Let me know :)

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love posting this picture :)

Clearly you see the need for a catch can. The TB on the left had about 60k on it with no catch can, the TB on the right had 53k but had a catch can since day 2 (it's my TB on the right).

We have plenty of catch cans in stock in various colors and can get you something custom engraved if you'd like! Let me know :)
Really appreciate the picture and decided Im getting one for the holidays. Im interested in getting an engraved one, possible link? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
i like the billet technologies catch can. its original and the best price alot cheaper than diablos
:cheers:

·
Registered
368 Posts
OK, quick question about these cans. My semi-local drag strip says you need to have a 16 oz. catch can installed in order to run the 1/4 mile, but when I look these up online, they aren't 16 oz. cans. What gives? Is this true? Do they actually check to see how big your catch can is at the strip? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i wanted a catch can as well, but i went to the dealer and they told me if it isn't mopar, it will void warranty if there is a problem related to the catch can. So i don't wana risk it =[ even if it is a catch can

1 - 20 of 43 Posts