Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to muscle cars in general. In fact, I have really driven imports most of my life and am very familiar with Hondas. I am currently driving a v6 accord with around 268 hp. Its a nice car but Hondas quality has really gone down in some critical areas. In addition, I am bored of Hondas and want something cool, exciting and unique looking. Life's short and really I want something cool. So in steps the Challenger. Here are some of my thoughts. Would love to hear yours.

- I am looking for a daily driver. I am not bringing it to the track.

- I am on the east coast and will drive this car as my only vechile. I plan to drive it in the snow. I am reading that with snow tires it is good in the snow. My current car stinks in the snow anyway, so no loss.

- I am looking at the Challenger rt scat pack and maybe an srt. I am deciding between this and a camaro 2ss. Having a hard time deciding. I know this is a challenger forum and will be biased but I am hoping for some objective opinions. Quality, fit and finish catch my eye.

- I am really concerned with reliability. Dont know what I am getting into. Is it accepted to keep my car in the shop often? Coming from Honda, which is supposed to be one of the most reliable. Jd power and consumer reports has dodge listed last in reliability, worse than average.

- how is the paint quality? My current car has trash paint.

Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am new to muscle cars in general. In fact, I have really driven imports most of my life and am very familiar with Hondas. I am currently driving a v6 accord with around 268 hp. Its a nice car but Hondas quality has really gone down in some critical areas. In addition, I am bored of Hondas and want something cool, exciting and unique looking. Life's short and really I want something cool. So in steps the Challenger. Here are some of my thoughts. Would love to hear yours.

- I am on the east coast and will drive this car as my only vechile. I plan to drive it in the snow. I am reading that with snow tires it is good in the snow. My current car stinks in the snow anyway, so no loss.

- I am looking at the Challenger rt scat pack and maybe an srt. I am deciding between this and a camaro 2ss. Having a hard time deciding. I know this is a challenger forum and will be biased but I am hoping for some objective opinions. Quality, fit and finish catch my eye.

- I am really concerned with reliability. Dont know what I am getting into. Is it accepted to keep my car in the shop often? Coming from Honda, which is supposed to be one of the most reliable. Jd power and consumer reports has dodge listed last in reliability, worse than average.

Thanks.
Based on what you plan to do with your new Challenger, I would recommend the new all-wheel drive model. Overall, it will give the best long term experience. I love my '16 SRT392 but would never consider using it as my daily driver or drive it in the snow. I know that some out there do but I just would not recommend it.
BTW: The Jazz Blue Pearl paint job on my Challenger is incredible! It's what attracted both me and my wife to the car in the first place and everyone that sees it are very complimentary of it. As far as reliability goes, with very few exceptions, you should have nothing to worry about assuming that you are planning to buy your car new. Don't let the JD Powers reviews overly influence your decision to buy a Challenger. These are great cars that are fun to drive.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
They are two completely different cars. Drive both, compare comfort front and back seats and the big one is visibility. After doing that come tell us your thoughts.
Where are you from? How bad is your winter?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congratulations on wanting to move to a muscle car. Since there is only one...... Like you have been advised, drive both.
Challenger second. One is a sports car. Low, great handling, light and fast. The other just awesome. EVERY TIME behind the wheel is a wonderful experience. If you can swing an srt you don't have to have the stiff suspension constantly. The Wife or any non driver may like that. Nothing like the acceleration and handling of the heavy car. I ENJOY being in a big heavy car that can run low 12s. Handles unbelievably, especially for such a heavy car. Just Heaven. As for the winter.....
I don't know. I would get a 2nd car before I switched! Beater for the winter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey man, I was in the same boat as you are, but after really looking over, sitting in and driving the Camaro 2SS, it was a no brainer to order a new Challenger next year. I also live on the East Coast. This will not be my daily driver, but will be my fair weather car. I'm coming from a BMW 535I RWD. Horrible in the snow even with snow tires, its not very good. I have a GX470 which is my snow vehicle and winder vehicle. I tried to think about what I wanted in a next vehicle and started looking into several different cars out there.
430XI
Challenger Scat Pack
Camaro 2SS and Camaro 1LE
Audi A5

Really it came down to 3 things.
I'm planning on having kids soon so a usable back seat was actually on the list.
My BMW's trunk is actually quite small and the seats don't fold down. Point to the Challenger there.
I was ready for a pretty damn quick car that also had great curb appeal. All of them really checked the box for me.

I really liked the Camaro 1LE, but hated 2 things about it. No heated and ventilated seats, and manual. Normally those wouldnt be deal breakers, but I'm coming from a fully loaded BMW 5 series that has every convenience I need when I'm languishing in traffic on 95 every day.

At the end of it all, I sat in a scat pack with the alcantara seats and was blown away by how comfortable the vehicle was and it just felt right to me. The Camaro felt like I was sitting in a jail cell. Very confining, and there were some pretty cheap plastics used in many areas.

The BMW was pretty tight on the interior and the price was high. The Audi was really nice but the price was really high.

Challenger is not a sports car, its a muscle car. And I feel like I fit perfectly in it. The big downside will be the mpg, but I'm already driving my SUV that does no better than 16MPG, so THANK GOD GAS IS CHEAP!

·
Registered
515 Posts

Thanks.

I have had 4 winters in Jersey on my R/T, no problems. You really don't even need snow tires. 4.5 years 41k miles no problems.

·
Registered
477 Posts
"Challenger is not a sports car, its a muscle car. And I feel like I fit perfectly in it. The big downside will be the mpg, but I'm already driving my SUV that does no better than 16MPG, so THANK GOD GAS IS CHEAP!"

Disagree, my Hellcat is averaging 19mpg. The 8-spd auto delivers 25-28mpg with scatpak cylinder deactivation.

The good news with a scatpak is insurance. It is less expensive than a SRT 392 and some folks have upgraded from a base R/T and seen rates go down moving to a scatpak. If I were looking for another vehicle I'd be all over the scatpak. After driving one, before buying my HC, I was impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yes gas is cheap! Now let's all do our part to ease the world glut of oil. WOTs, more often. I think we could change inventories! We are probably the reason why so much more gas gets sold in summer than winter, it is not travel it is Muscle cars roaming. Haha.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"Challenger is not a sports car, its a muscle car. And I feel like I fit perfectly in it. The big downside will be the mpg, but I'm already driving my SUV that does no better than 16MPG, so THANK GOD GAS IS CHEAP!"

Disagree, my Hellcat is averaging 19mpg. The 8-spd auto delivers 25-28mpg with scatpak cylinder deactivation.

Well that's promising to know. I drive my BMW like a grandpa (most of the time) and I'm getting around 28MPG average. When I open her up because of the twin turbos she burns gas and oil like you wouldnt believe. Usually every 10K miles I put between 1.5 and 2 quarts of oil in if my driving has been erratic.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Thanks.
If you'll looking for a daily driver the AWD model is the only logical choice. That's a V6 though so it's not in the class you're looking for.

Forgetting about AWD, in the V8 class, you'll get more muscle for your money with a Mustang GT. Of course, there are other things to consider like comfort and cargo space. The Challenger rivals many luxury cars in comfort, spaciousness and a quiet cabin. For reliability though, Dodge is near the bottom in JD Power initial quality whereas Ford is near the top. On the entertainment front, the Ford Sync3 is not as pretty as the Uconnect 8.4 but it works much better. Search this forum and you'll see a lot of current complaints about the Uconnect system.

If I were to trade up to a V8 today it would be a Mustang GT.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Challenger is a great move and if it doesn't have the room you need you can also opp for the 4 door charger to get the same performance. Now if the snow is a problem and you have no money problems there is the srt8 jeep for the snow. The challenger would be the best buy as it has the lowest price and has the most models to pick from.

Charger
R/T SCAT PACK
MSRP* Starting at:
$39,995

DAYTONA 392
MSRP* Starting at:
$44,995

SRT® 392
MSRP* Starting at:
$51,145

SRT JEEP
MSRP* Starting at:
$66,895

·
Registered
515 Posts

The good news with a scatpak is insurance. It is less expensive than a SRT 392 and some folks have upgraded from a base R/T and seen rates go down moving to a scatpak. If I were looking for another vehicle I'd be all over the scatpak. After driving one, before buying my HC, I was impressed.
Regarding insurance, I have been shopping so have gotten quotes recently.

going from a 13 R/T 5.7, in NJ where its the most expensive I believe.

A 2017 r/T 5.7 is about $40 dollars cheaper a year

A 2017 R/T SP 6.4 is $5 bucks more.

Really a negligible difference, insurance is not a factor IMO when looking at the R/Ts.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Expect Awesomeness..

I drive mine on the weekends only really as i dont need a car to get to my office. I try to stay away from the snow but have been in a bit of it and all kinds of other weather.

26k miles in 2 years for a road trip weekender car and I love it.

2015 SRT 6M

·
Registered
111 Posts
Challenger is like drug. If you can stay away that is great. Once you have it no way out. since Mopar relaunched , this is my 3rd challenger. I thought Rebel will help to cure the addiction. I guess not.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Challenger is like drug. If you can stay away that is great. Once you have it no way out. since Mopar relaunched , this is my 3rd challenger. I thought Rebel will help to cure the addiction. I guess not.
Total agreement! As a kid, I used to wish that Dodge would bring a 1970 Challenger back...and wishes do come true. Now, if they'd just bring back a true 2 door 1968 Charger, all my dreams would come true. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
If you're looking at new:

the '17 and newer went to Android Auto / Apply CarPlay enable radios - new software and there's still bugs being worked out with software updates. As time goes by the bugs will get sorted out.

The '15+ was the major refresh with styling changes and the interior along with major revamps to the electronics, and the entertainment systems - compared to the '08 - '14 "LC" series.

The '15 and newer improved on exterior plastic trim, which was prone to warping or cracking (rocker trim) as they had age and exposure to sun / elements. The redesign appears to have addressed those past issues.

Mechanicals have remained similar, the major changes have been the 8-speed automatic replacing the earlier 5-speed and more robust differentials (these changes came along from '15+).

There's items on the SRT that are standard that would be extra-cost on Scat Pack trims, and there's a couple of items that are N/A to order on a Scat Pack that are exclusive to SRT 392 models:
>3 mode Bilstein shocks
>Laguna Leather interior
>red seat belts
>SRT Performance Pages
>SRT Experience (Bondurant Driving course)

The Camaro is aimed at a different market. You'd have to compare to see how the space and feel work for you.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
OP:

In 2013 I decided I had been a responsible Dad long enough, and it was time to fulfill a desire I had had since I was 16; to own a muscle car.

A guy living about a mile away from me had just parked a fully restored 1967 Chevelle SS at the top of his driveway with a "For Sale" sign on it; I pass his house on my way to and from work, and must have stopped to look at it for two weeks straight. In the end, he was asking more than what I was willing to pay for a 46 year old vehicle, no matter how well restored.

My wife and I drove up to NYC for their International Auto Show where I told myself I would check out the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.

I once owned a 1980 Camaro Z28, but was shocked to see that the 2013 Camaros had the same crappy hard plastic interior materials my old one did (the interior squeaked like crazy in the cold Pittsburgh winters). This turned me off instantly, as did the (in my mind) poorly designed ****pit area (my 1973 AMC Javelin pulled off the concept far better), the all-but-useless rear seats, and finally, the "transformation" of a proud muscle car name into a Hollywood inspired child's toy.

While I give kudos to Ford for kickstarting the resurgent muscle car world with its Mustang (and previously its T-Bird), I had driven enough iterations as rentals on business trips to know that I just didn't like the design from the driver's seat. It too had all-but-worthless back seats.

I wasn't expecting much by this time as I approached the Challenger. I had never sat in an original Challenger growing up, so had no preconceived impressions either way. I have to admit however, from the moment my butt dyno met the driver's seat and my left hand grasped the wheel while my right gripped the shifter....I was sold.

Fast forward to late summer 2014; I was literally in a Dodge dealership's showroom trying to get a salesman's attention to test drive a 2014 Shaker when I saw the brochures for the 2015 re-fresh models.....I was smitten.

I ordered my Scat after spending weeks on this site learning and studying all of the information ResumeSpeed posted; I ordered the car within 3 hours of the order banks opening up, and waited with baited breath the 67 days it took for my car to get delivered...and I haven't regretted one moment or mile of my decision.

At the time, my kids had all grown, any two of the four could sit comfortably in the back, even with my driver's seat positioned where I was most comfortable; that certainly could not have happened with a Mustang or Camaro.

Once upon a time, I owned a 1986 BMW 325 iX that I still regret selling, but being only a two door, I had to with a 2 year old and a newborn. If I was in that situation again but had the Challenger, I can tell you I would not sell; car seats are far more manageable than you would think. (If you must have four doors, the Charger Scat Pack is a great choice).

A word to the wise: No matter which car you buy, you could end up with a lemon, or one that never, ever has any problems. Your chances of either are in reality comparable between the Dodge and Chevy.

My Renny has been super reliable; only issue was the radiator which the dealer took care of in 1/2 day. Other than that, I've got fewer miles than you would have owning yours as a daily for the same amount of time, but I've also logged over 100 runs down the strip in mine. Doesn't miss a beat...

...and did I mention the Challenger fulfills my every memory and perception as to what a muscle car truly is?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Thanks.

Another poster had a similar question a couple weeks back. Here are the threads.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/your-challenger-experience-590346/

Your Camaro Experience! - CAMARO6

1 - 20 of 49 Posts