Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And trading in my truck for a challenger (or charger, don't shoot me).

I love them. I think they're beautiful. But one thing I don't know if their reliability ratings. From what I hear, Dodge has this huge cloud looming over their head which screams "don't buy me, I will break" and I want to know if its true. Aside from regular oil changes and things that break once in awhile, is this thing going to be a money pit or can I drive this into the ground and it'll last me 10 years?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I would imagine driving any car "into the ground" will cause it problems. If you drive it normally you should be fine. My parents say the Dodge Caravan we had was the most reliable car ever, despite it being ugly as sin.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
If you have to think about buying one, move on.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you have to think about buying one, move on.
If you buy a car without "thinking about it", then you're just setting yourself up for trouble.

Chrysler/Dodge has had problems with reliability in the past. With that being said, I'd like to think that they're finally crawling out of the hole that they dug. The 5.7 Hemi is a tested and proven powerplant, and the 6.4 and new v6 have impressive ratings. No car is going to be impervious to some issues in some cars [law of averages, it's going to happen], but I wouldn't worry over it too much. With regular maintenance, these cars should go just as long as any others.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
After 3 weeks of ownership, and 2 months of frequenting this forum my take on Dodge is they build a nice car. That said, what I've found is they don't understand the thermal dynamics of plastic. The only 2 things wrong with my car are plastic trim related, and I believe related to the fact they don't understand how plastic expands and contracts, and also don't know how to properly attach said pieces so they can do just that.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I have owned Chrysler cars for the past 40 years. Never had a car that I would say was a problem. I love my new Challenger. The ride is great.

·
Registered
138 Posts
In my experience, the problem with a Dodge isn't so much the reliability. Its been getting the dealers in my area to fix what is clearly warranty work such as cracked rocker panels and transmission problems has been a big hassle. It only took a angry 3 page letter to Dodge, multiple trips to multiple dealers and playing phone tag with the resolutions company Chrysler uses and the dealer. I understand things break on cars and so far other than this issue the car has been great. I just don't think people should have to go through hoops to get it fixed. The 2011s should have most of the bugs worked out by now. Its a really fun car to drive and just has so much character.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Every single car has problems. That's a fact. I have a buddy that works at a GMC dealership. He frequently tells us what GM products to stay away from or to buy based on what he sees happen in the shop (he's a service manager).

That being said, I too was a little nervous to switch to Dodge. I guess mainly because of things I've heard of years past, plus a few buddies that had the infamous transmission problems with the Ram trucks in their earlier years. The problem is I really, really love the car. And when I started reading (not Car & Driver and similar as many of their "reviews" are nothing short of bribes) I started discovering there were some small annoyances with the cars with some owners but I didn't see glaringly large defects. Combine this with the 5yr/100k warranty Dodge is offering on the powertrain (just like GM & Ford) and it'll give you the warm fuzzies. I never thought I'd say that. I am not a fan of buying extended warranties, but before the Challenger, I bought my wife an '11 Chevrolet Equinox and I remember how great it felt seeing all the coverage we had for 5yrs/100k. For those taking out loans, I think this is important as it helps avoid MAJOR problems until the vehicle is paid off.

Also be careful when reading too many forums. Because of the nature of their existence, you will naturally find rants and desires to fix/improve "bad" designs. Not to say some isn't valid, but take it with a grain of salt.

In the end, I decided I was okay with getting rid of my '07 Nissan Titan crew cab in exchange for my RT. In fact, I haven't stopped smiling since making the switch. Obviously your mileage may vary. Either way, do what your gut tells you.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....OP, as with any car forum where folks are going to share their opinions/experiences on quality/reliability, it’s not always easy to get a clear picture of what you should expect. To make matters even more confusing, you are going to find folks who tend to over exaggerate problems and others who simply deny/dismiss them. There can also be defects/problems that may be relatively minor or thought of as “non-issues” by some owners while for others it may be a real bother. Past experience with other makes/models can play a big part as well in how some folks will interpret build quality or problems they may encounter with a car like this.

I try to look at it objectively and take the emotion out of these kinds of decisions. IMO/IME, there are common issues with these cars and your concerns are valid. This is the same with most cars although the degree of defects/problems with each can be debatable. The following thread contains TSB’s (technical service bulletins), Rapid Response Transmittals, Recalls, etc. that ResumeSpeed was kind enough to put together:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f89/dodge-challenger-tsbs-2008-2009-a-5609/

This will give you an idea of problems that have “officially” been recognized by Chrysler and were/are being addressed. You can get a sense of the build quality, etc. of these cars and get a sense of what you could expect in a worse case scenario.

I was in the same boat as you when I started to seriously consider the Challenger. I did extensive research myself before I bought this car (as I always do before purchasing large ticket items). I knew about the current problems people were experiencing, the TSB’s, reliability of the engine/trans, etc. ….I dug through several related website/forums (not just CT). Reliability/quality was my main concern and (frankly) still is with a Chrysler products. Even so, I purchased the car and have been quite happy since. However, that is not to say that I have not had issues with my 2010 R/T as I expected. This is my personally experience on an 8 month old Challenge R/T (auto) with ~9k miles (no mods). Obviously, your mileage may vary as these are simply issues I have encountered:

1) Stalling issue: I have had the car stall on me while coming to a stop 3 times to date (this is on an auto). It seems I’m not alone as several others have posted about the same exact issue. I also discovered that this may be a cross-platform problem on some Chrysler vehicles. There is currently a member who is having their car checked out by factory techs so (thankfully) it appears Chrysler is aware of the issue and is working to discover the root cause.

2) Key FOB not detected: I have had the “Key FOB Not Detected” message flash on my EVIC display at least 3 times that I have noticed while the key was in my pocket. This is a known issue and I believe there is a fix for it (I just need to take my car to the dealer).

3) Stereo (sound): This only happened to me once, but one day I noticed the sound from my receiver didn’t seem right. It seemed the left speakers were slightly muffled. I checked the balance (this is one an RER unit) and everything was centered. As soon as I tried to adjust the balance to the right a bit, the left speakers came to life.

4) Window trim: I noticed the window trim on the inside of the passenger door cracked. This is a known issue and on my list of things to have the dealer replace.

5) Remote start: It simply won’t work at times but more often than not, it will.

6) Weather strip: The rubber weather strip that is between the nose and the hood is beginning to crack and tear. I have heard of a few others having the same problem. Easy fix, but certainly frustrating considering all of the other issues with material quality.

7) ESP/BAS warning light: I had this warning light illuminate along with the traction control indicator while I was sitting in traffic. When I arrived at my destination, I turned the car off, restarted it and the lights did not come back on. It’s been about a month or two and hasn’t happened since. ….no CEL accompanied it and no discernable difference in the way the car ran while it was on.

Build quality is another pet peeve of mine but this is debatable (I suppose) for some. To be honest, fish eyes/dust particles in the paint, misaligned body panels, etc. tells me that their QA is lacking. My car was about the straightest I could find except for the taillight which is barely off (a mm or two at most). ….as for paint defects, I have a couple of fish eyes and contaminants in the finish but they are barely noticeable (and I am quite anal about such things). There are other little details but most probably would never notice. Coupled with the intermittent “gremlins” that have been popping up, it doesn’t bolster my confidence in Chrysler products although it also hasn’t swayed me to think this was a necessarily a bad decision either. ….time will tell I suppose.

Anyhow, this car is my weekend/trip vehicle. I wanted something comfortable yet fun and with enough power to make it enjoyable to drive. With the STP – super track pack it even handles *ok* for a 4k lb car. ….as for character/looks, it has it in spades.
So far, the problems I have encountered haven’t been enough to make me regret my purchase. ….subjectively speaking.

I also tend to keep cars for quite a few years. My last one was 8 years old and the one before that was 10. I really don’t have plans on getting rid of this car anytime soon. ….hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
... is this thing going to be a money pit ...
It is a money pit. It has drained my savings account like you wouldn't believe. Oh wait, that's because I put all the fun stuff into her.

I've only had mine for 6 months, but it's the best purchase I've ever made. I have already put nearly 15k miles on her (two cross country round trips -- one north/south, one east/west).

I've invested very heavily in her and with minor (very minor) issues (squeak here, squeal there), I would do it over again. As are you, I plan on keeping her more than ten years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Challenger

I've owned my Challenger for 14 months now and I've had zero problems. It's a joy to drive and it's a rock star when you're out in public. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
And trading in my truck for a challenger (or charger, don't shoot me).

I love them. I think they're beautiful. But one thing I don't know if their reliability ratings. From what I hear, Dodge has this huge cloud looming over their head which screams "don't buy me, I will break" and I want to know if its true. Aside from regular oil changes and things that break once in awhile, is this thing going to be a money pit or can I drive this into the ground and it'll last me 10 years?
The only problem with Dodge is chevrolet, GMC, Ford, Mercury, Toyota, Nissan, etc. etc. down talking Dodge so they can gain more sales. Oh and people who down talk Dodge because they don't have a clue.

Every manufacturer has had their share of problems.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Before I bought my Challenger, I had heard all the horror stories. I didn't care for the Ram pickup's "Peterbilt wannabe" styling, and didn't have much interest in anything else they sold, other than a passing interest in the Magnum, so I didn't explore any Dodge/Chrysler products beyond that.
The Challenger changed all that. I had to have one. "Damn the torpedoes", etc.
I do nearly all my own mechanical work, so I wasn't really concerned about fixing it. What I was concerned about was parts availability; especially in the event of a crash, since Chrysler had just declared bankruptcy.
Fortunately, Chrysler survived. But... I have been pleasantly surprised with the build quality and the fit and finish of the Challenger. Probably one of the better built cars I have owned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate the responses.

And to clarify, by "driving it into the ground" I meant "drive it forever" :)

Gonna go take a look at a few tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I had the same concerns, but the past couple of Toyotas I've had weren't so bulletproof. The Nissan was great for awhile. A couple of friends owned Chrysler 300's and said they were great. My sister's Chysler minivan outlasted my Toyota 200k+ miles vs 180k+. I was surprised.

My SRT has some fit and finish items, but nothing major. I have read that the sun roof has had probs. I wish mine didn't have one, but I got it CPO and it came with it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The number 1 issue with any car brand in the people who down talk them because "well it broke and i forgot to fix it" idiots. They don't follow the recommended schedule and then complain to the work when 1 part fails.

·
Registered
526 Posts
have you driven a dodge lately

Wow! I must have got a tue or wed built car,just under 7 thousand miles and so far so good, and minor quips have been handled prof by the dealer
At 60 mph 32-33 mpg a/c on and comfort to boot all this from 5.7 litre hemi, have had many compliments from die in the wool GM and Ford people,so its turning their crank.
Thats my 2 cents :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Been driving Dodge cars and trucks for 33 years and only had serious problems with 1 of them. It was a VERY high mileage vehicle before it had any problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I need some help here. I am 23 years old, have a good job and $12,500. The Challenger I am looking at is a new 2010 Hemi Orange Challenger 6sp. The MSRP is $34,250 with a $3,500 rebate. I already applied for a $22,000 loan with my bank and got it. All I have to do now is pick up the check and sign the documents. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can talk the dealer down to lets say $33,000 total (taxes and tags included).

Sorry if this post seems elementary in my explanation, I'm new with this and my uncle is a mechcanic who is going with me so I don't get taken advantage of, but I would like some advice so I can have some input on buying the my first Challenger.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I need some help here. I am 23 years old, have a good job and $12,500. The Challenger I am looking at is a new 2010 Hemi Orange Challenger 6sp. The MSRP is $34,250 with a $3,500 rebate. I already applied for a $22,000 loan with my bank and got it. All I have to do now is pick up the check and sign the documents. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can talk the dealer down to lets say $33,000 total (taxes and tags included).

Sorry if this post seems elementary in my explanation, I'm new with this and my uncle is a mechcanic who is going with me so I don't get taken advantage of, but I would like some advice so I can have some input on buying the my first Challenger.
You could/should have started a new thread instead of piggybacking onto this one, and probably would get more responses.

$33K out the door is too much given what these cars are bringing now new. Do you homework, and get it for $27-$28K tops plus your tags, title, and taxes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts