Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently realized I should buy a car and then the next thing I realized is that the only car I like is the 2010 Challenger. I'm wondering if you guys could help me with your opinions. Here are the details:

I have a budget of about 24K.

I would love to get stickshift 2010 Challenger model, but others will be driving my car so I will be needing to get manual.

I never owned a Dodge or any type of muscle car.

I plan on making modifications here and there for wheels and audio at first. Possibly will be working on performance changes years later.

I read a few websites that said the reliability rating of the car is below average.

Here are my questions:

Is getting with out stickshift worth it? And is possibly getting it in stickshift years later a good idea? Should I consider getting the car at a different time and maybe even when the 2012 comes out?

Is the reliability really that bad? Is there a state of constant repair at a certain point?

Should I look into the SE, SRT, etc?

If my questions are too broad then I can be more specific if requested, thanks for the help!

~ Ben

·
Registered
448 Posts
I recently realized I should buy a car and then the next thing I realized is that the only car I like is the 2010 Challenger. I'm wondering if you guys could help me with your opinions. Here are the details:

I have a budget of about 24K.

I would love to get stickshift 2010 Challenger model, but others will be driving my car so I will be needing to get manual.

I never owned a Dodge or any type of muscle car.

I plan on making modifications here and there for wheels and audio at first. Possibly will be working on performance changes years later.

I read a few websites that said the reliability rating of the car is below average.

Here are my questions:

Is getting with out stickshift worth it? And is possibly getting it in stickshift years later a good idea? Should I consider getting the car at a different time and maybe even when the 2012 comes out?

Is the reliability really that bad? Is there a state of constant repair at a certain point?

Should I look into the SE, SRT, etc?

If my questions are too broad then I can be more specific if requested, thanks for the help!

~ Ben

If others are driving it, you probably want an autostick (automatic).
Are you thinking new or used? $24k is good for a new SE, but may get you into a used RT (or come very close).
Never owned a Dodge? So?
Timing: When do you need it? When do you want it? Don't let the dealers run the show, you're the one buying the car.
I read a few websites that said Rosie O Donnell was cool. I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. That said, I had engine problems at 4000 miles. That's fixed now, nothing abnormal since.

Hope that helps! What exit are you off?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I'm kinda confused abou your stickshift/manual reference. I would think that would be the same thing.
I don't know how much of a RT or SRT you can get for $24K I paid about $40K for my RT Classic a couple of months ago and there's no way I would lose $15 on it.
I see alot of people on here complaining about their Challengers breaking but so far so good for mine.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ben, how old r u? I am not understanding the statements about the manual / stickshift

However, buy a used RT, you can get close to your budget with a used or really old '09 on a lot possibly

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have had my SE Challenger for a year and a half and love it. You will probably have a hard time finding even a used R/T for 24k. I have had a couple issues with my car but were fixed under warranty. Your best bet is to test drive an R/T and and SE and see what you like from that standpoint if you think you may be able to squeeze into a used R/T.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
That makes more sense. You know the automatics have an autostick that disables the MDS and you can shift, you just don't have a clutch or some of the other power stuff that the 6 speed does, but your freinds can just put in D and drive. I looked up a kinda basic 2010 RT on kelly blue book and retail is still 32K so you might need some more money in if you want a 10 RT or go with a 09 or SE.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm thinking a bunch of things right now. What cars have you driven in the past? Why do you like the Challenger? You can pick up a a decent Fjord GT for much less with money left over for the mods. you mentioned? Are you making a jump from cars in the 150-200 HP range to an R/T? All I can say is (IMO) be careful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If others are driving it, you probably want an autostick (automatic).
Are you thinking new or used? $24k is good for a new SE, but may get you into a used RT (or come very close).
Never owned a Dodge? So?
Timing: When do you need it? When do you want it? Don't let the dealers run the show, you're the one buying the car.
I read a few websites that said Rosie O Donnell was cool. I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. That said, I had engine problems at 4000 miles. That's fixed now, nothing abnormal since.

Hope that helps! What exit are you off?
I'm considering either new or used, all options are open right now, just researching. I would probably aim for the SE since I would prefer new, but if the RT is great bang for the buck used then I would definitely consider it.

I'm only saying I never owned a Dodge just in case there are some perks or things I would need to know specifically about Dodge. I know for example my family has a lot of Honda's and we have some big discounts on them because we consistently have bought them.

The website that I read was 2010 Dodge Challenger Reviews, Pictures and Prices - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews , they talked about reliability being low, but you're right one site doesn't mean much for the actual facts in reality.

I need/want it by the end of December before Senior Year of college starts for me.

And do you mean exit off of the parkway?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm kinda confused abou your stickshift/manual reference. I would think that would be the same thing.
I don't know how much of a RT or SRT you can get for $24K I paid about $40K for my RT Classic a couple of months ago and there's no way I would lose $15 on it.
I see alot of people on here complaining about their Challengers breaking but so far so good for mine.
Manual was supposed to be Automatic. Mistype, my bad.

I'll research some of those problems people have had (in the forums) to see if the value ends up being worth it for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ben, how old r u? I am not understanding the statements about the manual / stickshift

However, buy a used RT, you can get close to your budget with a used or really old '09 on a lot possibly
I'm 20, and Manual = Automatic, it was a mistype.

Buying a used RT is a valid option.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dont know if its still there but here is a RT for $17K

GET ALL OVER IT IF ITS REAL...ITS A 6 SPEED with only 5000 miles

2009 Dodge Challenger RT | United States Coupes for sale | 2009 Dodge Challenger Coupes for sale | 2255439615 | Oodle
This thing is beautiful, and a great price. But is this the same car that has the Automatic option for other drivers? Is that only in 2010 models or in 2009 models also?

However, how would I know if this is real, has problems with it, and they don't say where in the country it is? Unless I just am missing the link that has this info? I guess I have to message him... Never used oodle before.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
You asked which is faster, pretty much everyone said automatic.

The fun factor of the stick is great. But the only real time you get to use it is at the track. Unfortunately, you will most likely lose to an automatic with the same set up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts