Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,261 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I personally don't think it is possible. First of all I do believe it is illegal to drive a vehicle, that came with cats, on the street in any state without cats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. I personally don't think it is possible. First of all I do believe it is illegal to drive a vehicle on the street in any state without cats.
Thanks, yes that is true just wanting to know if there is a way

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm left to wonder why you want to remove the cats.

What changes are you doing that requires their removal?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cats? :cool: I have about 20 miles on mine without. No CEL. But it’s getting tuned in the spring and the tuner says he can take care of it no problem

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,261 Posts
Cats? :cool: I have about 20 miles on mine without. No CEL. But it’s getting tuned in the spring and the tuner says he can take care of it no problem
Here in New Jersey they physically look under the car for cats at inspection. If they are missing you fail. That and emissions is all they do check at inspection. Plus they can spot check you on the road too.Not sure about any other state.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine are internal. They’re built into the pipe.
Ya just can’t see them. That’s my story

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,792 Posts
Well you could get it taken care of by the tune by disabling the DTCs but you will not pass emissions as the monitors will never complete. The rear O2 will most likely be disabled. Codes will still be stored by the PCM as permanent which means they can only be cleared by the PCM.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
No need really. There are literally millions of cars making way more power than you with cats. I’m no tree hugger but I don’t intentionally want to put poison in the air.

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are no inspections or emissions testing in my state. I know several guys running long tubes/no cats on street cars (Camaros and a Mustang).
I personally don’t want to go catless because I wouldn’t want the hassle and expense of having to redo the exhaust if emissions testing ever came to my state.
There are several “high flow” cat mids for sale in the aftermarket- will those all pass inspection? Might be a better option.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,792 Posts
I run high flow cats and have passed emissions testing in IL back in October, it really depends on how the tune is setup.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There are no inspections or emissions testing in my state. I know several guys running long tubes/no cats on street cars (Camaros and a Mustang).
I personally wouldn’t want the hassle and expense of having to redo the exhaust if emissions testing ever came to my state.
There are several “high flow” cat mids for sale in the aftermarket- will those all pass inspection? Might be a better option.
The thing I don’t like about it is that when you’re in traffic you are the one breathing all that crap in. Is it really worth a few hp.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,792 Posts
Had 2 buddies run catless...one on a corvette and the other on a mustang GT. After one year they added cats as their clothes would wreak of exhaust. I used to tease them with..."did you just cut the grass or something?"

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
I personally don’t want to go catless because I wouldn’t want the hassle and expense of having to redo the exhaust if emissions testing ever came to my state.
UM, FEDERAL law which is ALL 50 states. The loss of HP is really, really low with todays newer cats.

GT 500 is over 800 with cats people !!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
UM, FEDERAL law which is ALL 50 states.
No argument there. Nevertheless, with no inspection/testing/enforcement, guys have done it all day every day for years and years in my state and I’ve never heard of anyone having an issue. Not saying it is right.

But like I said, I don’t have any interest - although I might research some of the “high flow” cats available.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts