Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 392 IE and I love the wheels, but in my mind I keep picturing old school rims with thicker rubber. I found these online and so far they are the closest I have found to what I'm looking for that goes up to 20".

American Racing Vintage Salt Flat Special Wheels

My questions are:

1. Since they only have tiny vents, how much will the reduced ventilation effect my Brembos.

2. I believe the Brembos can go down to a 17" rim. Are there any options to go with a smaller diameter rim (17" vs 20" stock) and run a thicker sidewall to fill the wheel well gap the same as my stock tires and 20s do? I just like the old drag tire look. I may even be able to find some raised white letters in a 17" tire. I know the paint pens fade.

3. Anyone know if this is a good manufacturer?

4. What is the advantage of offset or other bolt patterns. It's an ordering option and I have no real idea what it's all about.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
511 Posts
someone on here found weld wheels that fit, cant remember if they were 17" or 18"
they were made to clear the front caliber. I would like some old school centerlines with big rubber on them, if they ever make them

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like those were the Weld draglite xp and prostar xp. Great looking wheels. They went up 18" even, but discontinued in 2004. Not sure why, but found posts complaining they look strange that big. Wish we could run 15s...that would be perfect. Just don't want to sacrifice the Brembos.

·
Registered
861 Posts
American Racing wheels are legendary, they've been around for decades. That website kinda sucks though, didnt see anything about bolt pattern or backspacing on there. Great choice of wheel but I'd look for them somewhere else

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I saw a stellar looking 2012 5.0 Mustang in Florida last week. It was black, had been lowered and had Torque Thrust wheels (16") with 245-60's all the way around. It looked great.

That old school look can be successfully pulled off with most these new cars. Heck, if mine wasn't a Hurst model I would do it myself.

Good luck and be sure to post pics if you do it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If i went down to 17's i'd get the billet magnum 500 wheels, i think you can get them in 18 inch, but not aware of any larger than that for our cars, only mustangs seem to get them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Weld Wheels we talked about in your other thread aren't cheap, the four wheels without the tires cost me $1900 even and that's with free shipping. There are other wheels out there that are cheaper but most have a 114.3mm bolt pattern and ours are a 115mm bolt pattern. Converted to inches it's really only around .028" total on the diameter. Many people have used the 114.3mm bolt pattern and said they have had no problems with them just make sure the rim is made in a way that they will clear the larger brakes, especially on the front.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Are you sure those will fit? In any size? Remember, the brembos need to fit. That's why most SRT wheels have the concave look (the spokes angle outward).
Those centers look flat and looks like they will hit the brembos - me thinks.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I had a set of wheels on my 1970 challenger RT that looked like todays American Torque Thruster wheels. they were gold in color on my black Challenger. I would not mind finding a set of them for my new challenger. Also interested in what smaller wheel I can go with for my 2011 SRT with the brembo's. would love to run a set of 17" wheels if they will clear the brakes.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Weld RT-S Wheels with the High Pad will fit the Brembo's on the SRT's.

I had a set of wheels on my 1970 challenger RT that looked like todays American Torque Thruster wheels. they were gold in color on my black Challenger. I would not mind finding a set of them for my new challenger. Also interested in what smaller wheel I can go with for my 2011 SRT with the brembo's. would love to run a set of 17" wheels if they will clear the brakes.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
American Racing wheels are legendary, they've been around for decades. That website kinda sucks though, didnt see anything about bolt pattern or backspacing on there. Great choice of wheel but I'd look for them somewhere else
Glad to hear that as I really like their Salt Flat series and they make them in every size imaginable. Now if only the bolts are right...

I saw a stellar looking 2012 5.0 Mustang in Florida last week. It was black, had been lowered and had Torque Thrust wheels (16") with 245-60's all the way around. It looked great.

That old school look can be successfully pulled off with most these new cars. Heck, if mine wasn't a Hurst model I would do it myself.

Good luck and be sure to post pics if you do it.
Those looked good too, and come our size I believe. Got to figure out the bolts...

If i went down to 17's i'd get the billet magnum 500 wheels, i think you can get them in 18 inch, but not aware of any larger than that for our cars, only mustangs seem to get them.

If I was going for black I think these would be my 1st choice. If we go 17" Then the question is...what tire fills the gap best with a nice thick side wall?

The Weld Wheels we talked about in your other thread aren't cheap, the four wheels without the tires cost me $1900 even and that's with free shipping. There are other wheels out there that are cheaper but most have a 114.3mm bolt pattern and ours are a 115mm bolt pattern. Converted to inches it's really only around .028" total on the diameter. Many people have used the 114.3mm bolt pattern and said they have had no problems with them just make sure the rim is made in a way that they will clear the larger brakes, especially on the front.
Proof this practically IS rocket science! That is some $$$ too.

Are you sure those will fit? In any size? Remember, the brembos need to fit. That's why most SRT wheels have the concave look (the spokes angle outward).
Those centers look flat and looks like they will hit the brembos - me thinks.

Another good question. A lot of the web sites show amazing pics of the 15" wheel, but the 17 - 20" will look totally different. No depth probably. That's one aspect of this that makes me nervous.

Ditto.

The Weld RT-S Wheels with the High Pad will fit the Brembo's on the SRT's.
where are your knockouts from. They really make the look you've got going on. You said tire choice was slim too. What's the largest you got?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think I bought the knockoffs at Pep Boys along time ago. I had a set of Weld Racing Emblems that fit them perfectly to give it that original Weld Wheel look. As far as tires I was really trying to stay close to the original tire height of 28.7". The rears are 28.9" and the fronts are 28" tall. It seems you have less to play with in the front for sizes and I was shooting for the tallest, narrowest, looking for the front. Most tire brands including Hankook had the same 215-65-17 tires but the thread width was an inch wider. Even most of the drag front tires only go to 28" max on height, with these you can go narrower but I don't think they would be good for a street tire.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
THOSE WHEELS WILL NOT FIT SRT MODELS - IN ANY SIZE.
Do your homework first - like giving american racing a call first. It will save you lots of time.
99% of all rims out there will not fit SRT models unless they are customs like ccw,budnik,usw,fikse,HRE, etc.!!!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I usually call sales people last and I've had vendors tell something will fit only to find out it doesn't, so I usually start my "homework" in the community first but I will definitely be contacting the vendor soon. Sorry to hear they may not fit. I'll look into the other vendors you mentioned also. Most don't see to make the classic designs I'm looking for.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't know if your referring to the Weld Wheels but I'm going by what there fitment guide says about fitting SRT models.

THOSE WHEELS WILL NOT FIT SRT MODELS - IN ANY SIZE.
Do your homework first - like giving american racing a call first. It will save you lots of time.
99% of all rims out there will not fit SRT models unless they are customs like ccw,budnik,usw,fikse,HRE, etc.!!!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think raceheart was referring to the American racing Salt Flats I listed. I will try to call them tomorrow. I looked up CCW and Budnik, they have some cool rims. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Where do I get these to fit an 09 RT?

[QUOT

E=a14umbra;835241]

That is all.[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts