Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a fab shop and was thinking about just making a rear strut tower brace for my 16 SRT. I like the Mopar one the best with the removable bar. So my question is, what would you want on a rear strut brace to make it the most functional, and still allow trunk use? A quick disconnect might be nice...

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
If it was me I would make it so that it bolts to the shock pillars like normal and bolts to the 2 lower bolts behind the seat but like you said I would have the tower part acual bar set up with lynch pins so if I needed more room for something I pull two pins and out the bar comes

If you make any let me know I can help ya test out ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was considering a quick release. Wonder if it'll click or rattle because it's not tightened down? I could make a T bolt instead so it's screwed down, but no tools necessary.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I'm "all or nothing" on the rear brace subject. If I was going to build one, I would pattern it after the Petty 4 point rear unit. Check its' design out compared to others. It's got all the flex areas covered very well.

Can't have the best of both worlds IMO.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm "all or nothing" on the rear brace subject. If I was going to build one, I would pattern it after the Petty 4 point rear unit. Check its' design out compared to others. It's got all the flex areas covered very well.

Can't have the best of both worlds IMO.
Theirs is triangulated perfectly! I do like that there are no bends. That makes it a lot easier to make, and there are less flex points. Simple is usually better...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
If you did the tubing with notch and slots at the joints it would be a nice fit. Then a ball detent pin to the connection

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was drawing it up in CAD and realized I'd need to notch it. I wonder if they make weld in fittings like that. I'll have to look...

And they dooo....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Nice. I like

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
I carry a lot of junk in my trunk (of my car, you pervs)...

I'd like a rear strut brace, but the 4 point kills the room I need for drag radials when racing, or detailing/show stuff for car shows.

If a 2 point brace would have a positive effect worth the money, and was high enough and wide enough to allow my drag tire to sit between the posts, I'd consider one.

Otherwise, I'll have to continue to run without one.

But thanks for asking, and good luck with this project!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are there any other points, besides the back of the seat and strut tops, that this could tie into to help stiffen up the car? I got to thinking last night, this could be made in a few stages: Rear strut attachment (Stage 1), seat back attachment (Stage 2), and a third point if it helped (Stage 3)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm wondering why it has to go in the trunk at all. I admittedly haven't taken a long look under mine. All the images I see online seem to have some room though. What about a triangle tying the tops of the rear shocks to the floor? Bar across the top, then some kind of arrangement that ties into the rear frame?

Has it been done? Is there room?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I have thought about up over the top UNDER the liner Keep it concealed all together behind the trunk liner and the side liners. That is the best Senerio. I want to put a sub box in but a brace will take up the room I want to use. I think a pc of 1” d.o.m. Tubing across the top will be good and then do your bends from there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts