Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've got a 2011 IE 392 SRT8 with an automatic Trans and I'm very seriously considering supercharging it. Money is (almost) not a factor, my primary concerns are having a much more powerful car while retaining driveability. The car is my daily driver, so it really does need to be reliable, very drivable, and not pushing the boundaries of breaking my engine. On the performance side, I'd really like to be competitive with a stock Camaro ZL1 or GT500 Mustang in quarter mile times.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there a setup that achieves my goals for perormance, reliability, and drivability?
2) If #1 is possible, what recommendations do you all have? I've read good things about Magnuson, but E-Force looks interesting as well. How much boost is too much to put me I the reliability danger zone? Should I upgrade my pistons? Anything else?
3) I live in Atlanta, Ga, what would be the best shops in this area of the US to take the car to? I've thought about Speedfactory, as they are really close. But thier website doesn't even mention being able to SC 392's, it only mentions 6.1's.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey Ramm,

Your best bang for the buck is the Kenne Bell supercharger. My Challenger was the test vehicle for the 2.8L LC and it was installed and tuned by Kenne Bell. My car is a daily driver and you don't know of the extra hp until you get on it when it hits the boost. It is 100% street driveable. My 392 IE was dyno'd when it was stock and got 430 rwhp. After the 2.8 was installed I got 560 rwhp on only 6 lbs boost. During the testing they boosted it up to about 15 lbs and the dyno read 691 rwhp. The weak link in this motor is the pistons. They have a small ring land on top. You only need to upgrade the pistons if you want a lot of boost.Performance wise, when I ran her in stock condition I ran 110mph in the quarter. With this SC addition she will hit 120.
I'm from California so I don't have any contacts in Georgia. Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
For your 392, forged pistons would be safest, however if you stay at 6 pounds of boost stock pistons should be okay, so long as you're tuned correctly. Drivability shouldn't suffer at all, here again so long as you're tuned correctly.

Unfortunately, I can't personally recommend an installer as I installed my supercharger myself. I am over in Cumming however, should you ever want to go for a ride in mine sometime. Mine's a 5.7 six speed, but it should demonstrate how drivability is. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i wouldn't go anything past 7lbs of boost on a stock 392.. there is so many people talking about they have broke the pistons it aint even funny.. and it don't matter what brand of blower you go with in regards to the pistons.

if i was you i would strongly consider putting pistons in.. that is just me thought

Reactions: Palerider15

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Modern Muscle got a set of drop in pistons that would be great. I hear how delicate the pistons are supposed to be. Same BS we heard about the 5.7 all I can say is guess I was lucky I ran 8lbs for years running mid and high 11s. So why are the 392 pistons different. Both are glass pistons. I dunno
like to know the difference, if really any.
Personally I do the blower with a good tune up and rock n roll...
FlatTop

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Problem with the 392 is the Compression ratio is a lot higher almost 11-1 Me personally if you are looking for a nice daily driver setup the Edelbrock, Magnuson and Vortec make great power and drivabilty is awesome. Give us a call we are a direct dealer for all of the above and can offer a great packaged deal.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Love my Edelbrock. Daily driver here. R/T M6 running 8lbs of boost at 516 rear wheel horsepower. If I were you I'd spring for the drop in pistons from MM. That will allow you to up boost to 10-12lbs should you ever have the want to. If I lived up there I'd research as I'm sure there's plenty of options. Injected Engineering comes to mind. I've had good experience with my builder/tuner https://www.facebook.com/Heldenbergs here in Leesburg. Then of course you could always ship it off to Arrington, Petty's Garage, Modern Muscle, High Horse Performance, or any of the other supporting vendors on this website.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi everyone. I've got a 2011 IE 392 SRT8 with an automatic Trans and I'm very seriously considering supercharging it. Money is (almost) not a factor, my primary concerns are having a much more powerful car while retaining driveability. The car is my daily driver, so it really does need to be reliable, very drivable, and not pushing the boundaries of breaking my engine. On the performance side, I'd really like to be competitive with a stock Camaro ZL1 or GT500 Mustang in quarter mile times.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there a setup that achieves my goals for perormance, reliability, and drivability?

2) If #1 is possible, what recommendations do you all have? I've read good things about Magnuson, but E-Force looks interesting as well. How much boost is too much to put me I the reliability danger zone? Should I upgrade my pistons? Anything else?

3) I live in Atlanta, Ga, what would be the best shops in this area of the US to take the car to? I've thought about Speedfactory, as they are really close. But thier website doesn't even mention being able to SC 392's, it only mentions 6.1's.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I have the same car as you except 6 speed and I'm sold on the E-Force. Seems to make good power and they will match the factory 5/100k power train warranty. Plus it looks almost factory. Mine is going in hopefully next month if all the snow and salt is gone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you plan to stay around the 550-600, E-Force or Magnacharger will be fine. They both run TVS roots, so pick the one you like the look of.

700+ build you should go Kenne Bell, it will be able to keep up with any build you want.

I drove round trip from El Paso to Dallas w/ a magnacharger, about 1400 miles, got around 18 MPG, that was cruising between 80-90. Also, for some reason it hates cruise control.

Daily driving about 12-13 MPG tops. DD it drives similar to stock, it is a bit touchy below 2500 rpm, and let it warm up a bit before you take off.

I also run the 8# pulley from Arrington and a 6 speed.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
What do you mean by a bit touch below 2500 rpm ?
Same with my Edelbrock. Below 2500 and even until right around 3k with 8lb pulley, 3.75" for me, it likes to get into light boost if you load the engine up on acceleration. This leads to just a light surge in power then it drops when it comes back out of boost. My tuner adjusted timing values and has most of it tuned out. But if you grab some boost all the tuning in the world ain't going to make is completely smooth. I imagine running the 3.825" pulley would alleviate some of that eagerness to go into boost. But it's such a small issue that I am actually looking to go the other way and put my 3.5" pulley on. I say this to point out that it is something noticeable but in no way negatively effects my daily driving. You just feel a slight surge then it goes away. It's nothing like slingshotting you into the back of your seat. That happens at WOT!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Lots of good advice / experience here.
One thing you may want to consider ....
These cars @ 6 lbs. definitely will let you hang with the ones you mentioned.
However to go to 600hp plus you will have issues to address at the back of the car as well. JMO

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been running the API Magnuson S/C kit @ 7.5lbs on my '12 SRT8 for 2 months and 2500 miles without a problem. Proper installation of the kit - and most importantly - proper tuning is the key here. I'm putting down just over 530whp and 490lb-ft of torque.

The car is completely tame when I'm not in boost, but at WOT the beast is unleashed!

Good luck and be safe out there.

- Matt

·
Registered
169 Posts
Same with my Edelbrock. Below 2500 and even until right around 3k with 8lb pulley, 3.75" for me, it likes to get into light boost if you load the engine up on acceleration. This leads to just a light surge in power then it drops when it comes back out of boost. My tuner adjusted timing values and has most of it tuned out. But if you grab some boost all the tuning in the world ain't going to make is completely smooth. I imagine running the 3.825" pulley would alleviate some of that eagerness to go into boost. But it's such a small issue that I am actually looking to go the other way and put my 3.5" pulley on. I say this to point out that it is something noticeable but in no way negatively effects my daily driving. You just feel a slight surge then it goes away. It's nothing like slingshotting you into the back of your seat. That happens at WOT!
This is same thing mine does, it seem to work best if you put load on the engine before getting into boost. I you do a low rpm launch it, it seems like the blower isn't ready. It is like a moment of turbo lag.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been running the API Magnuson S/C kit @ 7.5lbs on my '12 SRT8 for 2 months and 2500 miles without a problem. Proper installation of the kit - and most importantly - proper tuning is the key here. I'm putting down just over 530whp and 490lb-ft of torque.

The car is completely tame when I'm not in boost, but at WOT the beast is unleashed!

Good luck and be safe out there.

- Matt
I have the API kit, install is pretty straight forward. I think I just need a custom tune cause I did the install myself, so API couldn't custom tune it during install. you are very close to what i made with my 8#, 545hp/537tq.

I drive mine everyday to and from school, I know it is there so I can plan for it. Just don't want people to think everything is flawless when there are some very minor problems.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a 2010 SRT 8. What are the ball park costs involved with Edelbrock & pistons ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have the API kit, install is pretty straight forward. I think I just need a custom tune cause I did the install myself, so API couldn't custom tune it during install. you are very close to what i made with my 8#, 545hp/537tq.

I drive mine everyday to and from school, I know it is there so I can plan for it. Just don't want people to think everything is flawless when there are some very minor problems.
I noticed it most with the stock Edelbrock tune. Get a custom tune. It makes a world of difference. When I was running the Edelbrock tune I was honestly regretting my choice of supercharger and thinking I should've went centri or turbo. But a day of tuning and tweaking with my shop, https://www.facebook.com/Heldenbergs, has it dialled right in. Also, went from 490hp to 516. Some of the surge can be felt still and he will probably adjust the timing values a little more. Since it is my daily driver he is keeping things on the conservative side for me.

I am going in next Monday for 48k mile maintenance, new mid and x-pipes, new gas cap to hopefully remedy code P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow code, and we're putting it on the dyno to compare how the Trinity synthesised boost gauge compares to the boost reading on the dyno.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I noticed it most with the stock Edelbrock tune. Get a custom tune. It makes a world of difference. When I was running the Edelbrock tune I was honestly regretting my choice of supercharger and thinking I should've went centri or turbo. But a day of tuning and tweaking with my shop, https://www.facebook.com/Heldenbergs, has it dialled right in. Also, went from 490hp to 516. Some of the surge can be felt still and he will probably adjust the timing values a little more. Since it is my daily driver he is keeping things on the conservative side for me.

I am going in next Monday for 48k mile maintenance, new mid and x-pipes, new gas cap to hopefully remedy code P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow code, and we're putting it on the dyno to compare how the Trinity synthesised boost gauge compares to the boost reading on the dyno.
My tuner here in el paso refuses to use diablo... not sure why but I need to wait for SCT or HP tuning, for him to do it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts