Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well first off let me say that I do love and thoroughly enjoy my '09 R/T. It's my second Challenger (I own a '70 with a 440 as well) and it has served me quite well as a great, fun, daily driver. However, the thing is, I am disheartened by the fact that these cars are apparently so limited in aftermarket mods & tuning capabilities when compared to their 6.1 counterparts. I do understand that the 6.1 has been around for a few years but I didn't think the 5.7's would have these types of cam/tuning issues that they have had. When I bought the R/T I couldn't have afforded the SRT without selling my '70, so that was an easy choice...well since then I've moved up a couple ranks in the military & the extra money (thanks to our tax payers! :bigthumb:) along with the fact that I may get 40,000 euros ($53,000) from someone out here in Germany for my used R/T has me thinking to upgrade...but here's my quagmire...
1)...the '10 SRT comes in Hemi Orange...and the 6.1 is friendly and receptive to mods. Drawback is I can't get one brand new through military car sales so I'd have to pay to ship it (will do if I have to).
2)...the '11 SRT has that epic 392, better suspension, yet doesn't come in Hemi Orange (I did speak with Bob Frederick via email & he informed me there's a very good chance the color will return this year or the next & he's working on Dodge to get them to do a run this spring). Also a potential drawback is that the 392 will run into the same issues as the 5.7 with the VVT & lack of cam/tuning options.
Any thoughts?? I will say that this 392 could possibly jumpstart 5.7 aftermarket activity...but a good point for the 392 is that it is - from what I've been led to believe - head and shoulders above the 6.1, STOCK. If I had a car that could seat 5 people and run 11's with minor mods (better tires, headers, no cats, tune), I think I'd be happy LOL Any 6.1 guys planning to upgrade, & if so, what was your motivator?? Thanks gang!!

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I have a 392 IE on order simply because I wanted a white SRT.

The new stuff on the car like no ram heads, steering wheel, 392, were a bonus.

I almost bought a silver 10-11 SRT because the 6.1 is proven, but I really wanted white, so I went for it.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I too own a 10 SRT TORRED. As soon as I heard they were coming out with the 392 I was in. Just my opinion but if I were you (Im a CPO in the Navy) I would wait til the 11's hit the sales floor and if you cant afford it without giving up your original Challenger, there will be plenty of 10's either from trade in's or left over from the showroom to snag at a sweet deal!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
If you can get the 40K euros for the used R/T that makes an upgrade really compelling.

Think there are three key questions to ask yourself:

1. How much do I want hemi orange? If this is really important, that says go for a 2010 HO.

2. How fast do you want to go? If low 12's are fast enough (not as sexy as high 11's but just about as much fun to drive) that says go for the 2011 392. Minor mods may not get you into the 11's but even a few tenths will get you low twelves. I find the advertised improvements in low end power & torque on the 392 attractive - the 5.7 & 6.1 are both soft at low rpms. Alternatively, if you want to do major mods then the 6.1 is clearly a safer choice. So how fast is fast enough?

3. To get the nice price for your used R/T, I figure you need to go ahead and sell now? Can you sell the R/T now and hang loose for a while and see if HO comes back for the 2011 HO SRT? Selling the R/T now and then figuring everything else out later, with the cash safely tucked away, might be the way to go unless that leaves you with nothing to drive.

In any case, good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts