Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.
I'm new here, wanted a Challenger for years, have owned a Hemi powered Grand Cherokee for approx. 10 years and loved the Hemi, no real issues with it current mileage is about 110,000. I came across a 2015 392 Scat Pack with approx. 21,000 miles, 8 spd auto, the car was fast as all get out and drove great. I 'thought' I heard a tap when the salesman started it, but it was up front next to a busy street and didn't get a chance to really listen. I have heard of lifter/cam problems on late model Hemis and also heard that they were rectified around 2016 model years. So what do you all think? This car is in great shape and has a Chrysler Certified Warrantee. I bought my Jeep the same way, it was about 2 years old, had about 25,000 on it and had the Chrysler Cert Warrantee. Never had anything go wrong during the warrantee period, but have had the typical Jeep WK-1 problems crop up at it got older (diff bushings, starter, driveshaft CV, Integrated power module). Does anyone have information on if and when the cam/lifter problems were corrected? I know on the older Hemis there were issues with them dropping valve seats, thankfully I never had that, but know of people who have....

thanks for any information......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Curious I googled "dodge valve seat drop" and while there are reports they seem confined to the smaller Dodge engines: 4.7l and smaler.

Google the subject yourself and visit some the hits/links and see if you can get a feel for how common the problem is for the engine in the car you are considering.

You have already visited the car. Hope your used car checkout was thorough. That is very important to helping one determine the car's condition.

On general principles I would avoid the car if the engine manifested something other the normal and indistinct ticking that these (and other engines) manifest when cold started especially if the engine has not been started/run for a while, which is common for used (and new) cars on a car lot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts