Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all
I have had 3 Challengers(2009 loaded Rt,2012 Loaded Rt with the Mopar T/A Hood Package and what I am driving now a 2016 Challenger 5.7 Shaker}
Was thinking its now for a Tradein (20,000 miles}
Thinking of getting a 2021 Challenger ScatPack Shaker Manual (have to be under $38,000 Basic}
Don't need a Challenger that will Cost $40 - $50,000 with Items I will never use.

But recently (2 Weeks}I have been looking at the 2020 Camaros 1SS in dark green Manual for around $36.000.
and the car does move buttttt I am used to the
(BOAT] a challenger lol(lots and lots of room}But since the 2020s are coming to a end and GM taking orders
for the 2021 Camaro 1SS.Think they should be on dealer Lots by Sept.

I really have NO clue how much smaller they are from our Challengers but I have had many Mustangs from 1996 - 2006 and it seems that the Camaros have 4 inchs more leg room then the Stangs.But I do feel if I don't get a Camaro(with rebates and dealer invoice} by Oct then I will shop around for my 2021 Challenger Scatpack with Shaker....
What do you folks think???.................................JT

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Kind of odd (if that is the right word) to come to a Dodge Challenger forum and ask if you should buy a Camaro.

To replace your current Dodge car with a Camaro is decision only you can make.

I know nothing about the new Camaros. My Camaro was a 2001. I owned it just 4 months before I got rid of it.

My next GM car was a 2006 GTO. Nice car but everytime I took it in to a dealer for service the car was hot rodded by a tech or lot monkey. I eventually traded the car in with just under 50K miles. The car was a good car but GM service sucked. Borderline criminal sucked. Thus I would not own another GM product if GM was the last car maker in the galaxy.

Before you make up your mind you need to be sure the new Camaro -- which I gather from your post may be short (no pun) on leg room -- suits you physically. That you fit and are comfortable in the car is important.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,652 Posts
Personal choice of course, but since you asked for opinions I would get the Challenger. The Scat pack will be a big step up in power over the 5.7 and you will keep the roominess of the Challenger. I don't like the lack of visibility from the Camaro, the belt line feels too high on the car and I feel like I'm sitting in a bunker trying to peer out. There is also a distinct lack of room, trunk space, back seat etc..

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,037 Posts
Take it for a drive, I have been planning on driving one.
As for the Challenger, I would much rather pick up a lightly used one than get a brand new one. You have been driving what is soon to be a 5 year old one, so a 2018/2019 or a used 2020 would be a slightly newer experience, and save you probably about $10K - $15K over a new one. And still get all those extra torques the 392 has to offer.
But, if I had the opportunity to actually custom order a brand new car, I might bite on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was going to look at a rally green 2SS with ceramic interior a couple months ago as it looked sweet, but their price kept creeping up on it for some reason and they got rid of the Mustang conquest. Plus at my age, I think the Challenger would be much easier to live with as a DD as far as getting in and out of and winter driving and I know it may be a small thing, especially for a single person, but the trunk opening is tiny on the Camaro.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree the Camaros trunk is kinda small (not a big deal}
As for the back seat,I never used the back seat in the Challengers that I have owned,maybe throw a jacket back there.
Seen a few 2020 Scatpacks Shakers in a manual selling for New for around $36 - $37,000,but as of now
those Basic cars are nowhere to be found unless you want to spend $40 - $50,000 with items that you will never use.
Only reason I want to checkout the Camaros is maybe I had owned many Challengers and maybe a Change
would be nice but then again if I wait till Dec I might luck out finding a 2021 Scatpack Shaker in Manual for under $38,000

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,328 Posts
Only reason I want to checkout the Camaros is maybe I had owned many Challengers and maybe a Change
would be nice
You reallllllly don’t owe the membership here any reason for your decision; sounds like you have Challenger burnout and need a new girlfriend.
then again if I wait till Dec I might luck out finding a 2021 Scatpack Shaker in Manual for under $38,000
And here, you sound like a flip-flopping politician.

As @Dennis H said....buy the Camaro.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
...unless you want to spend $40 - $50,000 with items that you will never use...
Honestly, I use every single option on my car, and wouldn't buy one without most of it. But I understand why other people might not, just not me. The only option I wouldn't choose when ordering a car new, would be the dynamics package. But I'd probably add the SRT based adjustable suspension that is now an option.
I use the adaptive cruise every time I drive, and love it, I love the sound system, the rain sense wipers, all the bold appearance stuff on a SHAKER with Scat Pack appearance, the seats, I love it all. Actually I wish it had more stuff available, like what is in a Charger. I have posted lists of the differences already though, so I'll quit here.

·
Registered
939 Posts
The advantages of the Camaro are:
  • Easier and cheaper to mod and tune
  • Substantially lighter
  • Turns corners way better than the Mustang or Challenger
  • Cheaper to buy initially
  • Manual trans option is of similar quality to the Challenger's, the Mustang's MT82 & MT82D transmissions SUCK.
  • More low end punch than the Mustang, but less than the Challenger's 392.
  • The LT1 motor appears just as bulletproof as the previous LS series, save for a couple of weak points
Disadvantages:
  • The LT1 V8 is underpowered for its displacement from the factory; it requires an 87mm throttle body just to make 455 crank HP even with direct injection
  • Said direct injection system dirties up the valves in the heads much earlier without additional port injectors to keep them clean (which the 2018+ Ford 5.0 Coyote has)
  • Claustrophobic (to me) cabin; feels like driving a tank compared to my Challenger or the Mustang. Can barely see out the back window and the interior feels cramped compared to the Mustang or Challenger
  • Unexciting interior, often made with cheap feeling materials; not as nice as the Challenger's or Mustang's
  • GM electrical systems have been somewhat suspect in the last decade or two, not sure if that's still the case
  • Seats aren't nearly as comfortable as the Challenger's or Mustang's
  • Personal opinion: doesn't look nearly as attractive as either the Challenger or Mustang from the outside
If I was considering a 2 door American coupe other than a Challenger (which is understandable if you've already owned 3 of them), it would be a 2018+ Mustang GT with a 10 speed auto and performance package 1, 2 if I could get it. OR, a used GT350 with the 5.2 Voodoo and 6 speed Tremec. I drove one of those and man it's a special car.

Mustangs look better than the Camaro (IMO), are similarly priced, have decent build quality, and they are STUPID cheap and easy to squeeze more power out of. Headers, exhaust, E85 or flex fuel setup, GT350 intake, and a tune, and you'll be doing 11 second passes in the quarter mile on ACCIDENT. It takes to E85 very well and those DOHC Coyote heads just flow like crazy. Plus, you have OEM performance part support with Ford Racing. They also don't lock the PCM from factory like Dodge started doing in 2015 (grrrr).

The reasons I personally picked a Challenger SRT 392 over the Mustang and Camaro are:
  • Bigger, more comfortable, more usable back seat and trunk space
  • Most retro styled and pretty looking of the 3 IMO (especially the 2015+)
  • Most reliable power trains of the 3 (2015+ after the ZF 8 speeds were introduced)
  • Most reliable of the 3 in general
  • The 392 is a very special engine, as close to the old 426 we can get in this era and even better in so many ways
  • That distinctive Hemi sound
  • Extra weight makes it a very stable car at high speeds and more comfortable to drive as a daily
With all this in mind, think about what's most important to you. Speed? Reliability? Cool looks and retro fun factor? Easy modability? Handling capabilities? Consider the pros and cons of each car based on your priorities and choose accordingly.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The advantages of the Camaro are:

• More low end punch than the Mustang, but less than the Challenger's 392.
After being in my buddies 16 GT and screwing around with him on the highway, his GT has better low end. Not sure if that's changed with the newer models.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
As for the Camaros one think I like is their convertibles, I think they look nice, and you expect them to have no room already. Total shame no more Mopar drop tops, they used to be the world leader in those, and turbos.
If they put the roof like the SLK or SL has in a Challenger (yeah, whole new car to do it) I'd be all over that.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The performance, handling and chassis of the newest Camaros are very underappreciated.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Weird place to ask this question when everyone here is going to tell you that you should buy the Dodge. I owned a 2013 Camaro and loved it for 4 years, I bought a 2017 Camaro and loved it for 2 years. Phenomenal cars, fun to drive, comfy. I only got rid of mine because I wanted a V8, I only bought the Challenger once I saw the 2019 refresh 🤮 I tried to buy (2) different V8’s over various months and dealerships refused to make deals on any of the ones they had left over from the 2018 year. That’s when I started looking at Challengers and Mustangs. I hated the cluttered Mustang interior, otherwise it’s a nice car, exhaust sounds amazing in a Mustang. Loved the Challenger interior and how roomy it felt, loved the looks the more I looked at it. One thing I liked about Dodge was the color choices, (Something Chevy is working on) one thing I very much disliked about Dodge is their packages and locking certain features/stripes/etc inside certain trims and their overall lack of additional features. Exhaust note is underwhelming on the Scat Pack compared to the upgraded Camaro performance exhaust, which is Borla designed.

Chevy has a laundry list of accessories, features and add-ons you can build into any model. The cheapest Camaro has the option of 20 different vinyl decals from the factory, I couldn’t even get hood pins or a blacked out hood because Dodge won’t let you. You can get the 1LE performance package on a 4 cylinder turbo along with gray, white, black or red interior. There are a myriad of options for personalization on the car. There are neat high end features like a heads up display that Dodge doesn’t offer. I see a lot of comments about the interior but the Camaro has a very nice, clean and streamlined interior. The vents on the center dash when turned one direction they change airflow on the AC/Heat which further reduces clutter on the dash. If you get the step-up package it’s nicely wrapped, comes with 9 speaker Bose, has 24 different interior color options for accent lighting which is way cooler than just a cup holder light, heads up display, heated steering wheels etc. I don’t agree with the complaints on the interior, I enjoyed mine very much. My Challenger interior is very nice as well and I enjoy it a lot, very comfy. All of the features I paid extra for are worth it to me.

The challenger is way more roomy and practical for more than 2 people. The trunk on the Camaro is very tiny and you won’t fit much in it because the opening is insanely small. The Challenger is a boat that roasts tires while the Camaro is a much lighter, much more nimble little car. If you aren’t over 6’ tall you’ll have no issues being comfortable in the Camaro and yes there are some blind spots, every car has them, I had no issues driving my Camaro whatsoever. Besides they come with a backup camera that’s 1000X better than the Dodge one. The resolution is way better and the newer ones have the very cool rear view mirror live camera. You will the difference in driving, it’s a much different experience. They’re both quick but the Camaro is going to corner significantly better, obviously.

Challenger feels like a muscle car and the Camaro feels like a sports car.

Regardless of power difference (however small, 30ish HP and TQ) the 500 something pounds you save make the cars just about equal in acceleration. Mod community and mod pricing is significantly better and cheaper on the Chevy. I wouldn’t trade my Challenger in and I do not regret my decision one bit. But you would not regret buying the Camaro, they are awesome cars and I wish I could have kept mine and owned the Scat Pack.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If I were to move away from the Challenger it'll be for a Jeep type vehicle. I would never move into a Mustang or Camaro!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Weird place to ask this question when everyone here is going to tell you that you should buy the Dodge. I owned a 2013 Camaro and loved it for 4 years, I bought a 2017 Camaro and loved it for 2 years. Phenomenal cars, fun to drive, comfy. I only got rid of mine because I wanted a V8, I only bought the Challenger once I saw the 2019 refresh 🤮 I tried to buy (2) different V8’s over various months and dealerships refused to make deals on any of the ones they had left over from the 2018 year. That’s when I started looking at Challengers and Mustangs. I hated the cluttered Mustang interior, otherwise it’s a nice car, exhaust sounds amazing in a Mustang. Loved the Challenger interior and how roomy it felt, loved the looks the more I looked at it. One thing I liked about Dodge was the color choices, (Something Chevy is working on) one thing I very much disliked about Dodge is their packages and locking certain features/stripes/etc inside certain trims and their overall lack of additional features. Exhaust note is underwhelming on the Scat Pack compared to the upgraded Camaro performance exhaust, which is Borla designed.

Chevy has a laundry list of accessories, features and add-ons you can build into any model. The cheapest Camaro has the option of 20 different vinyl decals from the factory, I couldn’t even get hood pins or a blacked out hood because Dodge won’t let you. You can get the 1LE performance package on a 4 cylinder turbo along with gray, white, black or red interior. There are a myriad of options for personalization on the car. There are neat high end features like a heads up display that Dodge doesn’t offer. I see a lot of comments about the interior but the Camaro has a very nice, clean and streamlined interior. The vents on the center dash when turned one direction they change airflow on the AC/Heat which further reduces clutter on the dash. If you get the step-up package it’s nicely wrapped, comes with 9 speaker Bose, has 24 different interior color options for accent lighting which is way cooler than just a cup holder light, heads up display, heated steering wheels etc. I don’t agree with the complaints on the interior, I enjoyed mine very much. My Challenger interior is very nice as well and I enjoy it a lot, very comfy. All of the features I paid extra for are worth it to me.

The challenger is way more roomy and practical for more than 2 people. The trunk on the Camaro is very tiny and you won’t fit much in it because the opening is insanely small. The Challenger is a boat that roasts tires while the Camaro is a much lighter, much more nimble little car. If you aren’t over 6’ tall you’ll have no issues being comfortable in the Camaro and yes there are some blind spots, every car has them, I had no issues driving my Camaro whatsoever. Besides they come with a backup camera that’s 1000X better than the Dodge one. The resolution is way better and the newer ones have the very cool rear view mirror live camera. You will the difference in driving, it’s a much different experience. They’re both quick but the Camaro is going to corner significantly better, obviously.

Challenger feels like a muscle car and the Camaro feels like a sports car.

Regardless of power difference (however small, 30ish HP and TQ) the 500 something pounds you save make the cars just about equal in acceleration. Mod community and mod pricing is significantly better and cheaper on the Chevy. I wouldn’t trade my Challenger in and I do not regret my decision one bit. But you would not regret buying the Camaro, they are awesome cars and I wish I could have kept mine and owned the Scat Pack.
Hm, I guess I haven't seen the newest Camaro interiors then, they sound a lot better. I just know that I felt like my head was going to hit the roof when I sat in one. I am just under 6 foot. No

I don't care as much about the other higher end features, but it sure would be nice if Dodge allowed a much greater degree of customization like Chevy does. It'd also be nice if they managed to shave 300 pounds or so off the car (an aluminum engine block for the Hemi would be a great start!) without losing the shape of it. And improved the chassis and handling capabilities. No it doesn't have to be a corner carver, but anything helps.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hm, I guess I haven't seen the newest Camaro interiors then, they sound a lot better. I just know that I felt like my head was going to hit the roof when I sat in one. I am just under 6 foot. No

I don't care as much about the other higher end features, but it sure would be nice if Dodge allowed a much greater degree of customization like Chevy does. It'd also be nice if they managed to shave 300 pounds or so off the car (an aluminum engine block for the Hemi would be a great start!) without losing the shape of it. And improved the chassis and handling capabilities. No it doesn't have to be a corner carver, but anything helps.
Yeah, they’re not for tall people lol. I think I enjoyed mine more because we’ll I’m not tall! Can’t disagree with anything else you said! A lighter Challenger would be awesome and a bit more customization would be nice but I have a feeling they have a lower cost due to the strict lack of customization. The Camaro gets a lot of crap for its interiors and don’t get me wrong their is ‘some’ plastic but they aren’t as bad as people say, the 5th gen was bad and was all plastic 100%. My Challenger has plastic too and they just now upgraded them in 2020 which annoys me because mines a 2019 lol.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yeah, they’re not for tall people lol. I think I enjoyed mine more because we’ll I’m not tall! Can’t disagree with anything else you said! A lighter Challenger would be awesome and a bit more customization would be nice but I have a feeling they have a lower cost due to the strict lack of customization. The Camaro gets a lot of crap for its interiors and don’t get me wrong their is ‘some’ plastic but they aren’t as bad as people say, the 5th gen was bad and was all plastic 100%. My Challenger has plastic too and they just now upgraded them in 2020 which annoys me because mines a 2019 lol.

View attachment 998226
That's definitely a lot nicer than the 5th gens I've seen before!

Hopefully Dodge will invest more in lightening the car come the next generation, somewhere in 2023. I love the Challenger for its looks and all the other good stuff about it, I just wish it was a little more nimble and lighter on its feet. I also wish that the 392 was as easy to squeeze more power out of as the LS/LT and Coyote engines. At the least, they should be coming from the factory with 545 horsepower at this point. An updated intake manifold and cam profile along with weight savings and a hybrid direct and port injection setup would make that easily achievable while still meeting emissions and not sacrificing much in the way of off-line torque or tip end throttle response.

·
Registered
968 Posts
That's definitely a lot nicer than the 5th gens I've seen before!

Hopefully Dodge will invest more in lightening the car come the next generation, somewhere in 2023. I love the Challenger for its looks and all the other good stuff about it, I just wish it was a little more nimble and lighter on its feet. I also wish that the 392 was as easy to squeeze more power out of as the LS/LT and Coyote engines. At the least, they should be coming from the factory with 545 horsepower at this point. An updated intake manifold and cam profile along with weight savings and a hybrid direct and port injection setup would make that easily achievable while still meeting emissions and not sacrificing much in the way of off-line torque or tip end throttle response.
Right? They improved it quite a bit back in 2016. You won’t confuse it with a Lexus or BMW or anything but it’s plent serviceable and comfy. The lighting is cool as it lights the doors, the floors and the cup holders in the 24 different colors.

I was a bit disappointed when I learned the Dodge interior lighting consisted of that tiny light in the door handle and the cup holders. The cup holders are cool but it’s still behind when it could be. Sign me up for all those other changes! Those are things I’m actively looking at right now tbh.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts