Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here goes: I have done an almost complete due diligence....

GM Camaro too small line of sight horrable, cannot fit into one with sunroof, don't want a coupe, convertable model having problems with cloth top and GM is still GM we have your money now go blow @ Camaro5......done with GM product line. Recalls and Service Bulletins/NTHSA

Mustang.....solid rear axel covertable.... smallish inside. Give me a brake solid rear hello this is 2011 Ford so you go the cheap production route and fit and finish is average plus...smooth ride again like GM we have your money and you want what fixed under warranty? Recalls and Service Bulletins/NTHSA

Neither have sales people that even know the car their selling......

Dodge Challenger: Roomy, excellent ride, no major recalls or service bulletins like GM and Ford.

I cannot afford the 5.7 or the Hemi but I really like the 3.6 motor its all I need and its probabaly going to be a Ralley Model in automatic, cannot do a stick anymore (Handicapped Driver)..... with sunroof and the bells and whistles.....I live in Maryland and gas is pretty expensive here and lots of DC/MD/Northern VA traffic......the dealership is great and all the guys there are excellent, the Dodge guy is just great and grew up right down the street from me. I am older so comfort and a sharp looking car were strong considerations.

I would really appreciate your feedback/expertise on these cars or any recommendations you may have including options, such as the suspension upgrades available when ordering. I also noticed that a new 8sp atumatic may be available in 2012 not sure if applies to this version of the car or do I just buy a 2011 or wait for the 2012 models to arrive. But hey, you ladies and gentlemen know more I just need some help and advice. Thanks your for reading my post.

V6 Rally Automatic, Sunroof, Leather, Upgrade to 20" Mopar Wheels, ......?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had a 2011 V6 Challenger as a loaner while my SRT8 was being serviced. It is very impressive for what it is. If you can afford it get the get the V6 Rally with the SS/T option. Other option is to get a ad special then upgrade it yourself. I've seen 11 V6 Challengers new for less than $19K.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Your research comments sound very familiar. Camero line of site sucked! Mustang fastback seemed kinda small and I am only 5'8. Challenger may seem big to drive at first but so was my 2008 F350 Super Crew long bed! Personally I just like the overall look of the Challenger over the competition. The lack of recalls is a great bonus as well.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
All cars have issues. If you want what I consider a real mid-size car that is absolutely the BEST design of the three, and some room and a real trunk, the Challenger is the only choice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have not given up on the Camaro, since I have GM card points, but I don't feel compelled to use them either.

Build quality from Oshawa on the Camaro is pretty good, the employees there are proud to have been selected as the site for its manufacture. But agree the sight lines out of the car are a major negative. You have to buy a convertible for good visibility, and lets face it the top will be up at least half the time so it's not a great solution.

I can cut Ford a break on the rear axle, that was a design decision with fan input who wanted it. Same with size, it's supposed to be a pony car and if anything can get me to consider a Ford, it might be the next generation, if the rumors of diligent weight control are true. But I've never been able to view myself as a Mustang guy... they are just so ubiquitous. Biggest issue for me with the current Mustang are the questions about the Chinese manual transmissions.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you aren't going to be cornering hard I'm not sure you'll need a suspension upgrade. As you said, they are a smooth ride. The sportier suspension firms that up quite a bit. It's still a smooth ride, but if you don't need it I say don't give up the cush factor. Cheaper too. Of course these cars DO have a tendency to bring out a little devil in everyone so you may want the sport suspension...just in case....

·
Registered
320 Posts
The Camaro has terrible visibility, a cheap interior, and no room, so I didn't even bother driving one, as I knew I could never live with it.

I'm pretty impressed with the 2011+ Mustang overall. It's the fastest, has more room than the Camaro, and seems to have the best build quality of the three, although the Challenger's interior is just as good, if just simpler. My only issue with the Mustang would be the Chinese manual transmission, which many people have had a lot of problems with, but since you're getting an automatic, that's irrelevant. The Mustang's solid rear axle isn't noticeable during most driving and the handling is the best of the three, so Ford's done a great job here.

The Challenger has the most room and can actually comfortably fit adults in the back seat. It has the biggest trunk, the smoothest ride, looks the best, and is pretty rare as cars go. The 2011 SE has a nice engine, suspension, and steering upgrade from the 2010. If you can afford it, the Rallye with the Super Sport Group would be the way to go, but that combo is pushing $30,000 list, which starts getting into base R/T territory, and the V8 is a whole different ballgame with all of these cars. Real world fuel economy isn't that much worse with a V8 compared to a V6 either.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Challenger is the one to go with, unless you were already a mustang freak. If you were, than the mustang looks are great. I myself prefer something a little more rare and refined. It is the right choice. Frankly, Camaro if yhou are not so into the retro look, and want something space-age instead (yawn). Now that you have settled for the right car (Challenger), the Se gets you the great looks, and lowers the price, so don't hesitate. I had a Dodge Spirit V6 make 240 thousand miles, and it had a reasonable acceleration.

Where in MD? I am in Silver Spring, and had mixed results with the local dealers, so I am curious where you had the good results.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
the v6 mustang is incredibly powerful....shockingly so....if you can fit in the car its the best bang for the buck....your not going to get anywhere near the performance out of the Challenger SE....

if you dont mind being the #3 performer, but having the best looking, largest car then the Challenger is for you..

im not impressed with the build quality over Chevy...i think Chevy's is better.......i havent bought a Ford in 21 years, so i cant compare to theirs

would i buy my 392 again...yep....it works for my family, looks are the best, performance is the best

if performance matters i dont think you can beat the Mustang for value in the v6 catagory...that v6 kicks @ss (0-60 in 5.5)

something i recommend for you...look into a used RT....get the performance, style, size all in 1 package..

·
Registered
320 Posts
the v6 mustang is incredibly powerful....shockingly so....if you can fit in the car its the best bang for the buck....your not going to get anywhere near the performance out of the Challenger SE....

if you dont mind being the #3 performer, but having the best looking, largest car then the Challenger is for you..

im not impressed with the build quality over Chevy...i think Chevy's is better.......i havent bought a Ford in 21 years, so i cant compare to theirs

would i buy my 392 again...yep....it works for my family, looks are the best, performance is the best

if performance matters i dont think you can beat the Mustang for value in the v6 catagory...that v6 kicks @ss (0-60 in 5.5)

something i recommend for you...look into a used RT....get the performance, style, size all in 1 package..
The Camaro's interior quality is pretty bad.

When looking at performance times, the way the cars are equipped are very important. Axle ratio and tires can make a big difference in times.

For example, the Mustang V6 gets stellar numbers only when its equipped with the Performance Package, which is only available with the manual transmission and includes the 3.31 axle ratio and stickier, wider summer tires. Similarly, the GT's numbers are better when it's equipped with the 3.73 axle ratio and the Brembo Brake package, which has stickier, wider summer tires. All other Mustangs get by with all season tires which are narrower and grip less. Similarly, the Challenger R/T with the Super Track Pak has significantly better numbers than the standard R/T due to the stickier, wider summer tires that come with that package.

Ford really should offer these performance packages to automatic drivers as well, as they are enthusiasts too, but at least they offer the 3.31 axle ratio on the automatic V6. If you put some better rubber on that car, its numbers would be better than the Performance Package V6.

In a recent Motor Trend comparison, they clocked the Challenger Rallye automatic with the Super Sport package, which includes the 3.06 axle ratio and wider all season tires, at 6.4 0-60. In the same comparison, the automatic Mustang with the standard 2.73 axle ratio and narrower all season tires was clocked at 6.2 0-60. If the SE Challenger had the R/T Super Track Pak's tires, it would probably have better numbers than that Mustang.

·
Registered
710 Posts
First off I was a GM person most of my life but just the looks of the Camaro have turned me off to the point of not even test driving one. In 2005 I bought a Mustang GT 5speed, nice car can't really complain about it other than small interior. 2008 the new Challenger appears and I knew I would be buying one. In 2009 I bought my Challenger R/T 6speed and after owning 49 cars I rate it as the best. The Challenger is comfortable, roomy, has plenty of power, and just a real nice looking car. I now am all Mopar also owning a 2006 AWD Chrysler 300 and a 2010 AWD Chrysler 300C.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do appreciate your feedback to the guy in md sent your phone and I'll call you......I'm from silver spring.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
you made the main points in your OP.
The challenger is by far the best option for the average daily driver. Roomy, comfortable, cargo capacity, back seat passenger room, good performance etc.
My 09 3.5L SE with the 4 spd is a great car so I imagine that the 11 SE is even better.
If big time vroom vroom performance is really important to you though the SE is not gonna meet your expectations
If you want a bad A looking average person daily driver then it will
hope that helps and good luck in your choice

·
Registered
145 Posts
I passed on a 2011 camaro because i cant get over that hideous interior.
So i bought a 2011 GT mustang and a 2011 R/T challenger.

The chally is a big car, yes it does ride better due to the irs, its ride is sporty and corners great. The mustang rides great too, and it has been reported that even thou it does not have IRS, it does corner better than the camaro with IRS. That being said, im happy with both cars, the mustang is a easier daily driver since its smaller.
I was driving a 3500 dodge cummins dually 4x4 4 door, so both are easier to park, but the mustang just makes it so much fun.

I like the heated seats of the challenger, and i do believe the sync system from ford is easier to manage over dodges system.

Mustang is much lighter than the challenger so its faster right out of the box, plus adding simple mods they gain 60 rear wheel hp.

I like both cars for many reasons, i dont ***** too much that the dodge is a pooch and the mustang is a blast to drive. You also dont hear me complain about all the thumbs up i get from the challenger either:bigthumb:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Samlab: you said in your original post that you didn't want a coupe, so why are you considering a Challenger?

·
Registered
102 Posts
If your limited via your budget the only thing I would consider is the stang with there new v6

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ok here goes: I have done an almost complete due diligence....

GM Camaro too small line of sight horrable, cannot fit into one with sunroof, don't want a coupe, convertable model having problems with cloth top and GM is still GM we have your money now go blow @ Camaro5......done with GM product line. Recalls and Service Bulletins/NTHSA

Mustang.....solid rear axel covertable.... smallish inside. Give me a brake solid rear hello this is 2011 Ford so you go the cheap production route and fit and finish is average plus...smooth ride again like GM we have your money and you want what fixed under warranty? Recalls and Service Bulletins/NTHSA

Neither have sales people that even know the car their selling......

Dodge Challenger: Roomy, excellent ride, no major recalls or service bulletins like GM and Ford.

I cannot afford the 5.7 or the Hemi but I really like the 3.6 motor its all I need and its probabaly going to be a Ralley Model in automatic, cannot do a stick anymore (Handicapped Driver)..... with sunroof and the bells and whistles.....I live in Maryland and gas is pretty expensive here and lots of DC/MD/Northern VA traffic......the dealership is great and all the guys there are excellent, the Dodge guy is just great and grew up right down the street from me. I am older so comfort and a sharp looking car were strong considerations.

I would really appreciate your feedback/expertise on these cars or any recommendations you may have including options, such as the suspension upgrades available when ordering. I also noticed that a new 8sp atumatic may be available in 2012 not sure if applies to this version of the car or do I just buy a 2011 or wait for the 2012 models to arrive. But hey, you ladies and gentlemen know more I just need some help and advice. Thanks your for reading my post.

V6 Rally Automatic, Sunroof, Leather, Upgrade to 20" Mopar Wheels, ......?
Go for it! Unless you really need the car now, I would consider waiting and saving for an RT. Many members have expressed a little remorse once they drove an RT (I am in no way dissing the SE folks). Regardless, the new SE's look great especially with the Ralleye package! The Mustang is smaller inside but it is very impressive (at least performance wise). My wife's 2010 GT will keep up with my RT and the new 5.0s are really amazing. Good luck with your decision either way. The Challenger is without question the prettiest and baddest looking of the three!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
DJR

I'll clarify the Camaro Coupe is a bit tight headroom wise as I'm 6'3" the Camaro with the Sunroof is even worse as the headlinewr is lower. The interiors are hideous and designed for a 16 year old who speaks mandarin...don't mean to offend but humor.

The new pentistar 3.6L has plenty of power, but I just might end up with a R/T...I know a dealership that has 3 2010's that they want to unload that are brand new so I'd have to hop a flight and brake it in driving back up 95 which has always worked out great.

I'm going to call them tomorrow...they have a 2011 SRT Hemi 392 in black with a kevlar front spolier and hood scoops that was magnificent in Florida. Killer beast ready for a supercharger.

Back to the stang used to have a 68 390 .......fit an finish in the mustangs is ok but now job number one. Some of the extruded plastic finishes are not quite right/even. Door and hood alignments are off on some...on the new explorers the rear shock tower covers on the left rear are perfect, on the right rear every plastic cover is molded wrong and does not fit flush...when your spending tens of thousands of dollars that what you should get in quality, always. The problems with the Mustangs solid rear axle is that when you push a car on a winding uneven road or you hit a ridge (long narrow rise in the bituminous road0 I can get the rear to shift at highway speeds, and did......not good and it's old engineering...I think the funtional utility of the Challenger just makes for a wise decision in todays makeplace besides its the best looking one of the three to me and chevy being second for a bathtub on wheels. ;-)

Mustnags look old now and the Challenger has what we call a timeless and classic look...the 6 does a good kjob and if your effective with auto shifting the car can haul **s. Look Mom no clutch!

·
Registered
954 Posts
:thumbsup:i have a R/T Classic,the only negative i can say(and it really isnt a problem)is the ride is stiff,i guess like it supposed to be,im older with a bad back and could use a mushy ride at times.
we tried the camaro,same as everyone says,plus the salesman turned us off.well the mustang,like you said,its a ford and if you have a problem theyll tell you to suck it. i would like to try a se just to see what kind of ride quality they have compared to the classic.
sounds to me like you have done your homework,good luck with your decision!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Get an R/T dammit!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts