Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL; DR: You can't have your Kate and Edith too...

I've known about the whole "adding unsprung weight == BAD" theory for a while now, but this is the first write-up of it that came across as sensible and understandable to me: Unsprung Weight, Part 2 | HondaSwap

Toward the end of the write up, he gives some specific numbers about how much unsprung weight equals sprung weight, and if they are true, it's pretty eye-opening for sure. Even if they aren't totally accurate, it's definitely "a thing" and should be kept in mind when upgrading the wheels and tires on a V6 LX that already weighs ~4000 lbs. (esp. w/ tank of gas and a driver factored in).

Having said all that, I feel like this is probably less of a concern to those of you with a 2015+ that have the benefit of the 8 speed trans and its lower first gear. You can probably overcome the additional hit you'd normally take when adding heavier wheels/tires and trying to accelerate your car from a dead stop with the V6.

Heck, for that matter, even the 2011+ SE/SXTs might be able to shrug off heavier kicks if it's got the optional 3.06 rear-end.

But hear me now and believe me later: if you've got a 2011+ and the standard 2.65 rear-end, you will most likely be able to feel the subtraction in acceleration that a significantly heavier set of kicks would bring.

And if you are one of the few who still have a 2010 Challenger with the 3.5L and its meager 250 lb/ft of TQ, well then you best keep your kicks as light as possible, because I can guarantee you will feel the negative effects of going too big on the corners with wheels/tires!

It's simple physics man, you'll never beat it.

Don't believe me? Well then just ask Isaac Asimov!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
All that and I hate them. For all different reasons. I wish our SP's had the 18s. Nuke if I go to 18 inch rims will my car rev higher.....faster. You know like going to a bigger gear for less top end. Or would I go the other way?
Also, how is your car? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
All that and I hate them. For all different reasons. I wish our SP's had the 18s. Nuke if I go to 18 inch rims will my car rev higher.....faster. You know like going to a bigger gear for less top end. Or would I go the other way?
Also, how is your car? Thanks.
If you got to 18s you will rev higher faster and top out in the gear at a lower speed. For instance second gear goes to about 66 mph with the 20s. If you put 18s on depending on the tire size you go with you can expect about an 8.2% difference. So 66 becomes about 60. Again tire size will affect those numbers.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
If you got to 18s you will rev higher faster and top out in the gear at a lower speed. For instance second gear goes to about 66 mph with the 20s. If you put 18s on depending on the tire size you go with you can expect about an 8.2% difference. So 66 becomes about 60. Again tire size will affect those numbers.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Like putting a 4:11 gear on when you had a 3:55 or words to that effect. That is what I thought.
THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All that and I hate them. For all different reasons. I wish our SP's had the 18s. *Nuke if I go to 18 inch rims will my car rev higher.....faster.You know like going to a bigger gear for less top end. Or would I go the other way? *
*Also, how is your car? * Thanks.
Check out this spreadsheet for a good visual reference on how RPMs at the rear wheels will be affected by different sized tires and/or wheels. (You can change the tire size or rim size and it will automatically adjust all the MPH and RPM numbers that go along with that combination.)

NOTE: I created that back in 2013 or something when I had my 2011 Challenger with the NAG1 5 speed auto and 2.65 rear-end. The ZF 8 speeds were not out yet, so you won't see it or its gear ratios referenced in the spreadsheet (but anyone mildly interested in seeing them could edit the spreadsheet to add them pretty easily).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's my car, you ask? Hungry!!

Hungry Hungry Challey.jpg

It's been almost 2 weeks now since she's eaten, and all these little delicious looking Prius's keep trolling us by driving by all slow and sheet... :blueblob: it takes everything I've got to keep my Challenger on the straight and narrow!!

It sure would be a shame if one of these Prius's around here just suddenly came up missing, wouldn't it... >:)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Check out this spreadsheet for a good visual reference on how RPMs at the rear wheels will be affected by different sized tires and/or wheels. (You can change the tire size or rim size and it will automatically adjust all the MPH and RPM numbers that go along with that combination.)

NOTE: I created that back in 2013 or something when I had my 2011 Challenger with the NAG1 5 speed auto and 2.65 rear-end. The ZF 8 speeds were not out yet, so you won't see it or its gear ratios referenced in the spreadsheet (but anyone mildly interested in seeing them could edit the spreadsheet to add them pretty easily).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's my car, you ask? Hungry!!

View attachment 841105

It's been almost 2 weeks now since she's eaten, and all these little delicious looking Prius's keep trolling us by driving by all slow and sheet... :blueblob: it takes everything I've got to keep my Challenger on the straight and narrow!!

It sure would be a shame if one of these Prius's around here just suddenly came up missing, wouldn't it... >:)
Um,............................NO. Shame is in owning or driving one. Glad she is feeling better. I think she is trying to cull the herd. Perhaps you should just let nature take it's course.
And THANKS for the info.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,773 Posts
It would fit in the trunk

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
It would fit in the trunk

A Guy
Yes, if they hadn't separated them right away the Prius would have made it's way through the digestive system and fit very comfortably in the trunk. Waiting for another..........burp!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts