Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing header when I switch the exhaust over to duals.

What are my choices?

Also wondering about the Cat., I am gessing that I will need to get a set of hi-flow cats or can I use the factory ones?

Lets hear your opions and choices

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I am thinking of installing header when I switch the exhaust over to duals.

What are my choices?

Also wondering about the Cat., I am gessing that I will need to get a set of hi-flow cats or can I use the factory ones?

Lets hear your opions and choices
Not much option for the headers. The only real choice I think, are the JBA shorties for the 3.5L. You can get them uncoated, coated, etc. A few different places selling them, anywhere from between $325 and $550 for some nice coated ones.

As for the cats, I have not hear dof any SE owner messing with the cats/replacing them, and I would echo any concerns. I would not suggest replacing them at this point.

If you are going the header route, I would also strongly suggest a Diablo Predator. You will need the U7136 for the 3.5L. They run between $275 and $375 depending on where you shop.

From other people's comments on the header installs, don't use the gaskets that come with the headers (thanks to S/S Dodge on bit of advice). Purchase the OEM gaskets as replacements.

I would like to add, that Stainless Works has a Long tube header kit for the 3.5, but it's pretty pricey, at around $900-$1000 It does come with cats apparently.

Also, OBX might still sell them???? Here's an interesting thread on them. Someone didn't have such good luck with them.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/3-5l-obx-r-shorty-headers-pics-video-21818/

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
If you put high flow cats on your car, you will have a difficult time passing an emissions inspection.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
depends on the state, Texas, as long as it does not throw a code, or fail the two step idle you are good to go. No I'm not saying that the FEDs via the EPA and the save the Earth crowd don't want to crawl up your [email protected]#4, I'm just saying what WILL pass in my area. And yes I have Liberals that work with me and insist it is conservatives that want to run everyone's like.:scratchhead:

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
^^^^^
High flow cats throw CEL emissions codes. I know from experience. And tring to pass emissions testing with high flow cats is a royal pain in the arse.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Every car I have outside of the 440 Dart has high flow cats, no problem here, at least with passing the smog test. My Volvo 2.5 turbo with a 3" metalic cat would throw a cel everyonce in a while low speed, little exhaust velocity, that was a ULEV 2 car and it was very very rare.

I would suspect your supercharged, cam, hemi may have more problem then a stock SE as I've already noted AFAIK most new style ECU don't like close loop mode and forced induction, which would be the case if you tried to do a
ASM (dyno smog) in Texas. My LS1 has a mangus cam and high flow cats and it has no problems on Texas two stage idle smog. Now I live in Austin with two stage idle, if you were in say Dallas or Houston, well they strap the bad boy on a dyno and then IMO there is NO WAY any aftermarket supercharger / or large cam is gonna pass.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So what is the concensus here? If you buy the stainless works headers with the cats your car fails emissions testing? I've thought about them, but if ultimately the car will fail, what's the point?

I don't want to have to keep installing/removing every two years (VA state kinda thing)

I'll be waiting to hear back before I make my purchase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts