Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody I drive a 2013 ram 1500 sport and I am looking at possibly buying a all-wheel-drive challenger GT anything I should be aware of and to people that own one how do you like it?? I really wish they offered the 5.7 hemi, anyone think they will in the future? Maybe for 2018??
Thank you !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Jaypro. Nope...I don't think they'll offer a hemi in this vehicle, but I sure hope they do one day. They used to in the AWD Charger, but that was discontinued.

My driver, prior to the the Challenger GT, was a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoD. To be honest, the ride in the Ram is way better, but I could probably make the same claim about the Ram against every car I've ever owned including the the 2012 CTS I drove for 2 years. But, the GT is still a very good ride. It's not unforgiving by any means. Some of the crappy roads in MN get annoying when I drive the Challenger as you will feel the road cracks through the firmer suspension. But on good roads it's smooth as silk...and it is a sports car. Riding low instead of riding high is taking some getting used to as are the smaller mirrors.

The drivetrain is excellent. The 8 speed is smooth, smooth, smooth. It's a variant of the same tranny in my Ram..which is smooth, smooth, smooth. The Pentastar has plenty of snap for daily driving and to keep it fun, but if you're looking for burnouts, look elsewhere. A Turbo Kit on this motor would be a blast. (I've heard some grumblings that the HEMI maybe going away and replaced by a Turbo Pentastar...even in the Ram...anyone else hearing that?)

The interior is a lot different than your Ram. Relative to the Ram there isn't a lot of interior storage. But, you just need to stay organized. I got the upgraded Harmon Karmon stereo. I thought the Alpine in my Ram was something, but the Harmon is freaking unbelievable. The NAV package and touch interface are superior to my 2014 Ram. But, the Ram makes up for it in towing capacity. :wink3:

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,088 Posts
Hi Jaypro. Nope...I don't think they'll offer a hemi in this vehicle, but I sure hope they do one day. They used to in the AWD Charger, but that was discontinued.

I was going to reply to the OP with something along the lines of "as long as they have an AWD Charger with the 5.7L, I don't see how they can keep from using the same tech to put one in the Challenger GT." But your statement pretty much shoots mine all to hell I guess. :disappointed:

I had not heard the AWD Hemi Chargers were discontinued, do you know why they stopped making them?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was going to reply to the OP with something along the lines of "as long as they have an AWD Charger with the 5.7L, I don't see how they can keep from using the same tech to put one in the Challenger GT." But your statement pretty much shoots mine all to hell I guess. :disappointed:

I had not heard the AWD Hemi Chargers were discontinued, do you know why they stopped making them?

Simple lack of sales. Canceled last year if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think they quit making them when they went on o so he 8 speed. I have no confirmation but I did read the 8 speed auto is physically larger and would not work with the V8 and AWD.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
They could get the V8 / A8 / AWD to work if they wanted to. The last civilian 5.7L AWD Charger was in 2014 and was with A5 transmission, that combo continues today still with A5 but available Charger Pursuit only. Not sure about the transfer case but the front axle is 175 mm, same as used on the V6 AWD.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
makes me grin when I squeal all 4 tires... the firm suspension is a dream in corners... I understand now when someone says it corners like it's on rails... quite an amazing car... looking forward to winter to see how she handles the snow... if it's anything like how it handles heavy heavy rain... it will be a winner.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got to play in the snow a little here in MA this year. All I can say is awesome. It is not like other AWD cars. It is not a 50/50 front/rear ratio. More like 30/70 (can't recall the exact ratio). So there is still a bit of the RWD feel but as soon as you back end starts moving, the front kicks in and pulls you through. There are some great YouTube videos of the GT in the snow up at a track in NH that show and explain how the AWD works. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it. I know that 2014 was the last year for the awd hemi charger, not sure if they did it any years prior. I've never owned a car before so it would definitely be different then my RAM im sure. I just wonder if I will miss having a pickup, not in a huge hurry to do so but definitely something I've thought about!

·
Registered
16 Posts
What numbers are you guys seeing for average MPG's and what type of range do you get out of a tank? I have a 110 mile commute round trip.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What numbers are you guys seeing for average MPG's and what type of range do you get out of a tank? I have a 110 mile commute round trip.
I have a 70 mile 1 way commute to work with a 1600ft elevation change with lots of curves and I normally fill up after my 3rd round trip (420 miles). When I do fill the travel range indicator go to the mid 500s. I'm getting about 30mpg hwy with 33mpg being my best tank. I already have 13K on my GT.

The GT did well when I drove thru snow/icey roads last winter. So much more enjoyable than driving my SUV when the road are bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would have waited until AFTER the uconnect issue was fixed. Mine crapped out two days after I bought it. Not happy. There is a technical service bulletin out on the issue. They could have at least told me and let me decide if I wanted to risk it (I would not have).

·
Registered
35 Posts
like the car - only had it about a week. i had a 2015 awd charger before, same drive train so I knew what I was getting. not a rocket but it does have good acceleration and handling. the suspension is firm. I am averaging 21mpg combined with city driving and normally rush hour highway so not a good comparison for highway usage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 70 mile 1 way commute to work with a 1600ft elevation change with lots of curves and I normally fill up after my 3rd round trip (420 miles). When I do fill the travel range indicator go to the mid 500s. I'm getting about 30mpg hwy with 33mpg being my best tank. I already have 13K on my GT.

The GT did well when I drove thru snow/icey roads last winter. So much more enjoyable than driving my SUV when the road are bad.
wow thats pretty good. I drive about 80/20 highway and am getting about 22mpg

·
Registered
426 Posts
wow thats pretty good. I drive about 80/20 highway and am getting about 22mpg
I do mostly highway but I do some remote starting or leave it running (wife in car with heated seat on) on short stops at the store. The biggest gas saver for me is I rarely use the brakes. It's normal for me not to touch my brakes 65 of my 70 mile commute to work. With my 275/40/20s being installed this week I'll probably lose a little mpgs. Time will tell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts