Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a low-mileage (~5k miles) lease return 2016 Hellcat at my local Dodge dealer, Carfax turns up clean, looks to be in really good shape. Is there anything specifically that I need to be looking for when I go to look at it this weekend? Also, is there anything I need to be aware of as far as longer-term maintenance on these beasts? I know the Brembos are somewhat expensive to replace/service when it comes time, and of course there's the tires, but is there any special maintenance specific to the Hellcats that the normal naturally aspirated Challengers don't have? Does the supercharger require periodic servicing? Does the 6.2 have any special maintenance routines outside of oil changes? Is the engine pretty bulletproof under normal usage?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Found a low-mileage (~5k miles) lease return 2016 Hellcat at my local Dodge dealer, Carfax turns up clean, looks to be in really good shape. Is there anything specifically that I need to be looking for when I go to look at it this weekend? Also, is there anything I need to be aware of as far as longer-term maintenance on these beasts? I know the Brembos are somewhat expensive to replace/service when it comes time, and of course there's the tires, but is there any special maintenance specific to the Hellcats that the normal naturally aspirated Challengers don't have? Does the supercharger require periodic servicing? Does the 6.2 have any special maintenance routines outside of oil changes? Is the engine pretty bulletproof under normal usage?

All the information you could ever want on Hellcats can be found here: http://www.hellcat.org/find-new/25991145/posts

No special maintenance, just routine oil changes (additional drain on oil cooler line).
2016's came with 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain. Make sure the remainder of the warranty is still valid (no mods).
No servicing on the supercharger, it is a sealed unit good for 100K miles.
Some of the superchargers are noisy and people are getting them replaced.
But to my knowledge, NO factory superchargers have ever failed.
Mine was noisy from the start and after 18K miles they replaced the snout, but it is just as noisy now. I am not too worried about it with 3 more years of warranty on it.
The 6.2 is very stout and with a simple pulley change, injectors and tune you can be running 850+ hp.
There has only been a handful of stock factory 6.2's that have had to be replaced that I know of.
If your going to run it at the track with sticky tires, a one piece drive shaft is recommended.
2015's had some trouble twisting their DS's at the track.

Good Luck:rocker:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Inspect the rear tires and wheel wells closely just to make sure it wasn’t driven too hard...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Inspect the rear tires and wheel wells closely just to make sure it wasn’t driven too hard...
I'd go into it assuming all Hellcats have been driven hard. Especially a lease return. That's what they're built for so wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm on my third set of tires in 18K miles with my SRT392 :)

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
I would be weary of an off-lease hellcat. Saw a guy snap a drive shaft at the track in a 2015 HC that he has just bought. It still had the temp tags on it and street tires…

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the replies/advice on this........may be a moot point, though. Just contacted my insurance agent, and a Hellcat would result in a $130/month increase for the exact same coverage I have on my current 2015 Scat Pack 392 - ouchie!! Between the increase in the car payments and the insurance, I just don't think I can swallow it.

I may still go up and look at it this weekend just for grins, but I just can't see plunking down nearly $1k a month for a car.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I'd go into it assuming all Hellcats have been driven hard. Especially a lease return. That's what they're built for so wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm on my third set of tires in 18K miles with my SRT392 :)
I’m on my fourth set of rear tires in 20k miles with my scat Pack, so I know what you mean, but still I would say to inspect the tires and wheel wells for abuse, even if the rear tires are no longer the originals, did the previous owner at least clean up after their mess? Are the factory tires really chuncked from burnouts? Thes cars are built for it I agree, but be sure to know what you are getting.

To the op, just reading your last post, hellcats are getting cheaper by the month, wait for the right deal. I am going to get one some day, but right now I can wait.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The old saying is they may look pretty on the outside .But you never know what happen on the inside like the engine and trans and rear end, FLIP A COIN

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies/advice on this........may be a moot point, though. Just contacted my insurance agent, and a Hellcat would result in a $130/month increase for the exact same coverage I have on my current 2015 Scat Pack 392 - ouchie!! Between the increase in the car payments and the insurance, I just don't think I can swallow it.

I may still go up and look at it this weekend just for grins, but I just can't see plunking down nearly $1k a month for a car.

I can understand that. I'm really particular about the color of my car. PCP Hellcat was only built in 2015 and those prices are getting closer to what I like. I have mine insured on my collectors car insurance since it doesn't see a lot of miles. Great insurance to have if you don't use it as a daily driver or so.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, update for Saturday.......went to check the Hellcat out, and it looks to be in really good shape, no signs of abuse at all. Either the previous owner babied it, or he/she did a really good job of cleaning up the rear fenders and wheel wells before they turned it in. The story the salesperson told me seems to square with the Carfax info I'd read - he said the owner had leased it, he and his wife have a Charger Scat Pack as well, and he got a new gig that required a work truck. They had to choose between keeping the Charger or the Hellcat, and since they had kids, the 4-door won out and they traded the Hellcat on the new Ram. The salesperson said that they went over the car front to back and found everything to be in good shape (if that can be trusted, anyways), it's just like new. I did explain to him about the insurance quotes I'd gotten on it, and he suggested that I do some shopping around - he seemed to think the quote was on the high side. Sure enough, when I got home I did a couple of online quotes, and it looks like I can get it insured for around $40-$50 more a month than my Scat Pack.

Unfortunately, this weekend is pretty crummy weather-wise, so a test drive is pretty much out of the question until the rain clears. There's a slight chance tomorrow afternoon the weather may break, so I went ahead and made an appointment to go drive it; Plan B is to head in the first part of next week when the weather is supposed to be nice again.

I'm starting to get mildly excited........... :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Okay, update for Saturday.......went to check the Hellcat out, and it looks to be in really good shape, no signs of abuse at all. Either the previous owner babied it, or he/she did a really good job of cleaning up the rear fenders and wheel wells before they turned it in. The story the salesperson told me seems to square with the Carfax info I'd read - he said the owner had leased it, he and his wife have a Charger Scat Pack as well, and he got a new gig that required a work truck. They had to choose between keeping the Charger or the Hellcat, and since they had kids, the 4-door won out and they traded the Hellcat on the new Ram. The salesperson said that they went over the car front to back and found everything to be in good shape (if that can be trusted, anyways), it's just like new. I did explain to him about the insurance quotes I'd gotten on it, and he suggested that I do some shopping around - he seemed to think the quote was on the high side. Sure enough, when I got home I did a couple of online quotes, and it looks like I can get it insured for around $40-$50 more a month than my Scat Pack.

Unfortunately, this weekend is pretty crummy weather-wise, so a test drive is pretty much out of the question until the rain clears. There's a slight chance tomorrow afternoon the weather may break, so I went ahead and made an appointment to go drive it; Plan B is to head in the first part of next week when the weather is supposed to be nice again.

I'm starting to get mildly excited........... :)

Sounds like you found a good used Hellcat.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
After you buy the Cat jump over to the Cat forum and ask every question there. I have the same name there too. Congrats!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the weather actually cleared today, so I was able to go in and take a closer look at it and do a test drive (surprisingly)........all I have to say is WOW. Now I know what everyone is talking about - it's still a Challenger, but yet different. And of course that supercharger is just stupid powerful - on the test drive, the salesman actually made me go out on the freeway and kick it. We were up to 90 in nothing flat, and the amazing thing is that the car is just so heavy and stable that it felt like we were doing 50. Biggest surprises for me were the steering feel and the 8-speed auto. The steering felt a lot heavier/beefier than my Scat Pack - I think the SP has electric steering and the HC has hydraulic steering, so maybe that's the difference? The 8-speed automatic is quick and really good, though I did notice in sport mode that it definitely holds the RPMs higher/longer before shifting, both up and down. In particular, it seems to keep the engine turning up around 2000-2500 RPM when downshifting, which I'm not really used to with an auto, but I assume it's to keep the engine in or near the power band.

So, after the test drive and my more thorough inspection of the car, we went in to the office to talk turkey. After doing the requisite paperwork, they came back with a reasonable offer on my Scat Pack, and we did the deal - I now have a nearly new Hellcat!! I still can't believe it's actually mine - I saw it sitting at the dealer about a week ago as a fresh trade-in, and would have never dreamed it would be sitting in my garage.

I have a few questions, I'll likely post these on the HC forums as well, but I figure I could get broader response by posting on both forums:

1. Is the factory satin black hood a wrap, or is it painted that way? If it's a wrap, is the hood painted the same color as the car underneath the wrap so presumably the wrap could be removed if wanted?

2. My hood is a wrap, looks to be professionally/nicely done. What is the proper way to take care of that with regards to washing and (potentially) waxing? I'm assuming automatic car washes are a no-no as are pressure washers (but I never use those anyways).

3. Can the brass monkey wheels be safely powdercoated without messing up the wheels?

4. Should I reset the adaptives so I can train the car to my driving habits (instead of inheriting the last owner's settings)?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as time goes on, I'll probably look for answers on the forums here and over on the HC site as well. Also, with regards to question #3, if powdercoating the wheels is not advisable, I'll probably be looking to trade the brass monkeys for the black OEM ones if anyone's interested. The brass monkey ones aren't terrible looking, but I think the black ones would look better on the car is all.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for all of the replies and support!! I still can't believe I've got one of these incredible 707HP machines sitting in my garage tonight.........

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats Steven! I know how you feel when you say you can't believe she is in the garage! Nice feeling isn't it ;) Awesome ride, enjoy :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Congrats on your new Hellcat.

AT some point, you may want to buy a separate set of 20x10.5" replica wheels (+25 offset - link below) for the rear and wrap them in 305/35/20 Nitto 555R drag radials (link below).

A lot of Hellcat owners run this combination on the street in good weather.

You will be able to put down a lot more of the power the Hellcat has to offer and the car feels more stable and predictable.

Then when the colder weather arrives, you can put your original wheels/tires back on.

https://factoryreproductions.com/shop/dodge/style-70/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-305-...ash=item2c7eeea164:g:KR4AAOSwOK9Z5RHr&vxp=mtr

1 - 20 of 26 Posts