Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about swapping out my 2014 R/T with a current-year GT (might be 2019 model year by the time I do anything). I know that's sacrilege for some of you, but hear me out - interested in your thoughts.

I drove a Charger R/T for 6-7 years in Ohio, which actually gets more snow than here in Denver believe it or not. I never had a problem at all, RWD was fine in the snow. I switched to a Challenger, and then not long after that we moved to Colorado.

Snowy roads here are a whole different matter, because of one thing: Hills. Where I lived in Ohio it was flat as a board, but here you're on inclines all the time. I was surprised at how even small inclines became challenging with snow. No, I don't have winter tires, I have all-seasons (Continental ExtremeContact) which I read were supposed to be better-than-usual in snow. I suspect that maybe the torque of the R/T just overpowers whatever benefit these particular all-seasons might provide. I've been through 3 Colorado winters and it's been okay, although more of a white-knuckle drive than I was used to, until one day last year.

The breaking point came when there was an unexpected snowstorm while I was at work. It was a nightmare driving home because the roads had a solid layer of ice under the snow. I was on a busy 4-lane road and I got stuck trying to go up a long but not particularly steep incline. Rush-hour traffic flowed past me while I tried everything I could think of to get moving again, but the rear wheels just spun. Finally what did the trick was to just floor the gas pedal and let the wheels spin like crazy...that inched me forward until finally I got to spot where I had more traction. But I continued to have problems after that where I thought I might get stuck again, so eventually I pulled into a parking lot and had my wife come get me in our Grand Cherokee, and we retrieved the Challenger the next day when the roads were clear.

Ever since that day, I've been gunshy about driving the R/T in snow. I know that winter tires are an option but--having never used them before--I don't know if they're such a big difference that they would solve the incline problem. Plus, it just sounds like a hassle to change my tires twice a year. :)

So, enter the AWD GT. I've been seriously considering switching to an SUV, but I do love my Challenger so maybe the GT is the answer. However, I read that it still favors RWD so it doesn't ever give more than 38% (or thereabouts) engine power to the front wheels. I don't know exactly what that means -- does that mean it's less effective than a "normal" AWD vehicle, or is it something I shouldn't worry about?

I confess that another appealing thing about getting the GT is just because it has the newer gadgets like the bigger screen and whatnot. My 2014 Challenger is the last year before they improved things, so sometimes I feel like I have the clunky, old-fashioned version of things at least when it comes to Nav, iPhone compatibility, in-dash vehicle info, and all that. But that is definitely a distant second concern compared to winter driving.

So, any thoughts on moving to the GT given my hilly location and potential for unexpected and/or significant snow?

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
Did you have good snow tires on? If you like the new GT and you depend on the Challenger as a daily driver I think it is a perfectly viable option. Test drive one and see what you think.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Getting the right tires would be the next move before getting a whole new car. It sounds to me like you just really want a new car and want to to justify it. If that's the case, by all means get a new GT if that's what you really want. It would still be a lot better than driving an SUV.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have a Scat Pack which I love but I daily drive a GT and it's an excellent daily driver. Better than the SP actually. You can buy an SUV at any time in your life buy a fun car while you still can. You will always be able to get an SUV if the need arrives. That might not be the case for an AWD Challenger. I love mine.

Comfortable, capable, nice gadgets and still way more fun to drive than an SUV while getting better mileage.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I also have a Challenger Scat pack Shaker I bought in 2016. I liked it so much I bought a 2017 Challenger GT as my DD and I love it great handling good acceleration and the AWD goes through snow like a hot knife through butter with the factory all season tires I look forward to seeing how much better it will do with winter tires. I am running the 20" Scat Pack wheels and summer tires in the spring and summer and I will replace the all season tires on the GT wheels by next winter. The GT makes a great DD the A8 is the best automatic I have ever driven I still like the M6 Scat Pack better on a sunny dry day but the GT in 6 inches of snow is some great fun in an empty parking lot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,199 Posts
Getting the right tires would be the next move before getting a whole new car.
I can vouch for that. The right tires do make a huge difference. My son had a 2008 Hyundai Tiburon with Cooper Zeon all-season tires. When it snowed, he had an "adventure" driving to his hilly college campus each day. After a little research, I bought him four Blizzak snow tires. After that he had no problem driving or stopping on icy or snow-covered roads. It was well worth the expense.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=191

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I'd recommend different tires. Continental DWS-06 tires are an all season and designed for snow traction into that model.

This would give an advantage over a standard all season version.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm trying, but can't understand........ who or why would anyone want a Challenger for winter driving?

As a V8 pony/muscle car.......I get it.........but as a weather beater for all seasons?

There are just so very many better choices out there. What am I missing here?

Does the OP live in a situation that makes a 2nd car or truck impossible as choice for winter driving?

·
Registered
35 Posts
if you are driving in snow on a regular basis get winter tires. I have a 2017 GT and love it, yes a v8 would be nice but the 6cly has more than enough power for me. I have a set of winter tires on - even with awd - makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm trying, but can't understand........ who or why would anyone want a Challenger for winter driving?

As a V8 pony/muscle car.......I get it.........but as a weather beater for all seasons?

There are just so very many better choices out there. What am I missing here?

Does the OP live in a situation that makes a 2nd car or truck impossible as choice for winter driving?
I used to be in that scenario myself. When I got my 2010 R/T, I also had an older Ram 4x4. A perfect winter beater: Dependable 318, always started in the cold, remote start, plenty of ground clearance, and some rust so I wasn't too worried about keeping it pristine. I drove the truck in winter and the car in summer for 2 years.

For a number of reasons, my perspective changed. I was making big payments on a car that I chose to only drive for half the year, I was paying for insurance and maintenance for 2 vehicles, money was a bit tight (I wanted to go back to school and other things, etc). Due to space constraints, it was a pain in the ass to switch between both vehicles, and deep down I knew that either vehicle could handle the tasks of both vehicles. It bothered me that I was investing so much money in having a new car and not using it. Both vehicles sat and depreciated while I could only drive one at a time.

I debated it in my mind a lot, but eventually I sold the Ram. I got winter tires for the Challenger, and it worked out great. It had heated seats, an excellent heater, it started fine in the cold, it was very stable and planted, and I never got stuck with it. Best of all, it was more fun to drive then the Ram. By the way, our winters can get downright nasty in Saskatchewan.

The way I see it, everyone drove RWD cars in the 60s and 70s in winter, including the muscle cars. Nothing changed, except now we have better winter tires, traction control, heated seats and other niceties. So why not?

·
Super Moderator
14,199 Posts
Those are what I had on my R/T when I got stuck, although a different size: 235/55ZR-18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

All season tires, no matter how good, have compromise treads and are only good for light snow. For deep snow, dedicated snow tires, like Blizzaks, are needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I test drove a 14 RT Redline before buying my 17 GT. Not sure if it was because it was used, or the V8 vs V6 weight difference, but I liked how the GT drove much better. I'm tempted to test a new RT, to see if I like how that one drives, but I'm afraid I might have to buy it...

Plus, having an AWD Challenger is just cool...

j

·
Registered
11 Posts
'14 RT to GT

Back story. Grew up and live 20+ years in Minnesota (aka Winter driving hell) and never had a problem driving. Had rear wheel drive cars and trucks but prefer jeeps). Left minnesota for Louisiana and bought a '14 Challenger RT. Stock tires sucked so I got what everyone has been suggesting the Conti Extreme contact all season DWS-06 in a staggerd 245 F and 275R setup. Great in the wet.

THen we moved to Windsor Colorado this past august. I commute a couple days a week down to Denver/Glendale's Infinity Park(110miles south of home). I'll be honest, the RT even with the DWS-06 sucks in the snow. If there is more than an inch or two on the ground anything above 30mph isn't fun....and I'm typically an aggressive driver and grew up driving on rurual unplowed roads fishtailing for fun on every corner. I love winter driving. So If it snows I typically just take my/my wife's '99 Jeep TJ which was built for the worst that Duluth MN could throw at it. In all honesty the winters here in Colorado are a joke compared to MN and the roads are easily passible. Yesterdays 80mph crosswinds on dry pavement were worse than anything this winter has thrown my way including heading into the mountains snowboarding.

I feel the OP's pain though. If I didn't have an alternate vehicle and the ability of flexible schedules where she can take the Challenger through the snow on her 10 mi commute to UNC i'd be looking at the GT as well.

Next season I'm going back to a smaller snow tire for winter. THe DWS-06 is not what I'm looking for. I might switch out of them entirely since I'm getting crap life out of them. Speed Logix suggested the Firestone Firehawk Indy500. Not sure if that will be better than the DWS-06.

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
As if we don't have enough cars to pick from, make sure your 2019 GT has AWD if you want it, there will be a RWD version also next year. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
How about plan B. Do like we do here in Michigan, Drive the Challenger in the summer months, and drive a Ram in the snowy season.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a set of winter tires on - even with awd - makes a world of difference.
Amen to that.

From someone with years of experience in snow--winter tires are not an option, they are a necessity. You won't have a hassle with changeover if you buy a separate set of steel wheels for the winter tires. That way you won't risk damage to your aluminum wheels and changeover is far quicker and cheaper.

In my opinion, all-season tires are misnamed. They should be called no-season tires.

Compared to all-season tires, three-season tires are far better in warm weather and the winter tires are worlds better in cold weather.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Three 60 Lbs bags of tube sand In the trunk is how I get around in the Denver snow . You just don't want to punch the car at takeoff so ur not slipping and in most cases , I prefer driving with Traction Control off so you can spin out when stuck without the engine shutting down on you .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd recommend different tires. Continental DWS-06 tires are an all season and designed for snow traction into that model.

This would give an advantage over a standard all season version.
Yes, IF you had to choose the best year round tire (which means it isn't as good as a true snow tire).

For a full out snow tire (and suggested matching steel rims) go with the Hakkapeliitta R2 for a non studded tire.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts