Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have grown used to the extra attention from local LEOs that my car's paint job invites. Traffic stops are nothing new to me, even the ones that are initiated for blatantly obvious false reasons. Unsurprisingly, I had experience with that sort of thing long before acquiring the Bacon Hauler.

But what is unique to driving this car, and what really grinds my gears about police attention because of it, are the traffic stops which never would have happened if I had not run across some slack-jawed troglodyte who either
a) thought he was being funny by getting me stopped or
b) was just too dimwitted to recognize the folly of his own actions in getting me stopped.

Case in point - earlier today I was pulled over and unceremoniously read the riot act because a citizen had called 911 to tell them there was a guy driving "...a really loud cop car " around trying to pull people over, but he was certain that it was not a real cop car because there was no letters or numbers or flashing lights on it.

Holy cow, that gentleman was surely doing his civic duty by disregarding his own safety to let the police know someone who was not a cop was acting like one on the local city streets...right??

That's one way to look at it...

Here's another: I leave my DRLs enabled for the obvious safety benefits, and I also prefer to shift into Park to wait for stop lights which take an inordinate amount of time to cycle through to green. Normally, those two things shouldn't be an issue, right? Well, they are...when you combine them in a former cop car and throw in a dullard who has too much time on his hands and watched one too many Law and Orders this week.

From what I can piece together, the hero citizen that reported me as impersonating a police officer was mistaking the behavior my car exhibits when I shift the transmission into Park at stop lights. That causes the headlights to turn off when in DRL mode, and conversely the headlights will turn back on when I shift into Drive after the light turns green. Mr. Mashed-Potatoes-for-Brains saw these on/off episodes at stop lights and figured I must have been trying to get people to pull over!

Never mind the fact that no car ever pulled over in front of me (that I noticed anyway), and thus I never pulled in behind anyone to run their license or make stupid jokes about their car's paint job...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And I'm normally on a LEO's side, even when I'm the one being stopped (because I usually needed it), but this particular officer seemed to be deriving a little too much pleasure from talking down (up?) to me. I should be ashamed, and I could be arrested on the spot, and I could have been shot dead in some towns...blah, blah, blah...yeah, I get it, impersonating a police officer is dangerous, THAT'S WHY I HAVE NEVER DONE IT!!

*sigh*

Whatever, I'm over it...doesn't bother me...can you tell? :wink3:

Alright, I've vented, all is good again, the world is once again right. Please carry on everyone, nothing to see here, please disperse.

Nuke

·
Registered
968 Posts
Did you get any tickets out of it or just a brow-beating "warning"?

So this person throught that you were trying to pull people over simply becuase your headlights turned off and back on when shifting between Park and Drive at a stoplight???

Personally, I could never be bothered to shift into and out of park at a red light, but that is neither here nor there... I certainly don't see how that should get you pulled over. There are TONS of "ex police cars" on the road with the same type of paint job as your car.

I could understand it if you also got out of the car and approached their car after all of this - or if you had a security gaurd uniform on - or wore a hat that said "Police", etc... But simpy from what you describe, that seems to be a little much.

Just wait to see how bad it gets once you get your "bacn haulr" license plate though! I can only imagine what the cops are going to be like when you get pulled over with that plate!!! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nuke,

Quite a story about two counts of inappropriate behavior - one by the person calling the police and setting you up, and the other by a patronizing, if not actually bullying officer.

Everyone can have a bad day. Maybe you encountered two people experiencing them.

Glad you posted. Free forum therapy!

Finface

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
My grandpa used to shift into park at stop lights too. "It's better for the tranny" lol

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I have grown used to the extra attention from local LEOs that my car's paint job invites. Traffic stops are nothing new to me, even the ones that are initiated for blatantly obvious false reasons. Unsurprisingly, I had experience with that sort of thing long before acquiring the Bacon Hauler.

But what is unique to driving this car, and what really grinds my gears about police attention because of it, are the traffic stops which never would have happened if I had not run across some slack-jawed troglodyte who either
a) thought he was being funny by getting me stopped or
b) was just too dimwitted to recognize the folly of his own actions in getting me stopped.

Case in point - earlier today I was pulled over and unceremoniously read the riot act because a citizen had called 911 to tell them there was a guy driving "...a really loud cop car " around trying to pull people over, but he was certain that it was not a real cop car because there was no letters or numbers or flashing lights on it.

Holy cow, that gentleman was surely doing his civic duty by disregarding his own safety to let the police know someone who was not a cop was acting like one on the local city streets...right??

That's one way to look at it...

Here's another: I leave my DRLs enabled for the obvious safety benefits, and I also prefer to shift into Park to wait for stop lights which take an inordinate amount of time to cycle through to green. Normally, those two things shouldn't be an issue, right? Well, they are...when you combine them in a former cop car and throw in a dullard who has too much time on his hands and watched one too many Law and Orders this week.

From what I can piece together, the hero citizen that reported me as impersonating a police officer was mistaking the behavior my car exhibits when I shift the transmission into Park at stop lights. That causes the headlights to turn off when in DRL mode, and conversely the headlights will turn back on when I shift into Drive after the light turns green. Mr. Mashed-Potatoes-for-Brains saw these on/off episodes at stop lights and figured I must have been trying to get people to pull over!

Never mind the fact that no car ever pulled over in front of me (that I noticed anyway), and thus I never pulled in behind anyone to run their license or make stupid jokes about their car's paint job...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And I'm normally on a LEO's side, even when I'm the one being stopped (because I usually needed it), but this particular officer seemed to be deriving a little too much pleasure from talking down (up?) to me. I should be ashamed, and I could be arrested on the spot, and I could have been shot dead in some towns...blah, blah, blah...yeah, I get it, impersonating a police officer is dangerous, THAT'S WHY I HAVE NEVER DONE IT!!

*sigh*

Whatever, I'm over it...doesn't bother me...can you tell? :wink3:

Alright, I've vented, all is good again, the world is once again right. Please carry on everyone, nothing to see here, please disperse.

Nuke
Get you a dash cam if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So, I have to admit, one of the reasons I'm thoroughly investigating the purchase of a nearly new Pursuit (aside from the cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension cop shocks.....yes I love the Blues Brothers) and the 5AT in a 2018 or 2019 LX platform car, is the appearance of being an unmarked police car and the prospect of that appearance moving the left-lane lurking knuckle-dragging morons who hog the left lane on the interstate. If I aquire said Pursuit, I would keep the black-steel wheels and chrome center caps (love the look) and add a full brush-bar (to keep the turkeys and smaller deer out of the grille and headlights). While I dig the two-toned Black-and-White look of the Bacon-Hauler (and the Bluesmobile), I will opt for a solid color silver, black or gray model.

Now I would not drive it any differently than I do my RAM pickup or my Pilot or how I used to drive my Challenger. Normally not more than 10 over the posted speed limit and in the right lane unless overtaking. However, I expect that when people see those black wheels with the chrome caps and brush-guard on a model car that some police use (although the PSP do not drive Chargers)....they'll move out of the way.

I certainly wouldn't flash my lights at them, tailgate or gesture to them in anyway (in Western PA, that may result in my looking down the business end of a CCW).

My biggest concern would be properly disabling a take-down light (if it has one) and since the Pursuit has no foglights, getting those mounted on the brush bar and operating in a manner that's in line with the PA laws (only when low beams are on and in conjunction with tail lights). A functional cop-spotlight and aux lighting on without tail lights or with high-beams will get you nicked around here, faster than just driving an unmarked former cop-car.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
So, I have to admit, one of the reasons I'm thoroughly investigating the purchase of a nearly new Pursuit (aside from the cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension cop shocks.....yes I love the Blues Brothers) and the 5AT in a 2018 or 2019 LX platform car, is the appearance of being an unmarked police car and the prospect of that appearance moving the left-lane lurking knuckle-dragging morons who hog the left lane on the interstate. If I aquire said Pursuit, I would keep the black-steel wheels and chrome center caps (love the look) and add a full brush-bar (to keep the turkeys and smaller deer out of the grille and headlights). While I dig the two-toned Black-and-White look of the Bacon-Hauler (and the Bluesmobile), I will opt for a solid color silver, black or gray model.

Now I would not drive it any differently than I do my RAM pickup or my Pilot or how I used to drive my Challenger. Normally not more than 10 over the posted speed limit and in the right lane unless overtaking. However, I expect that when people see those black wheels with the chrome caps and brush-guard on a model car that some police use (although the PSP do not drive Chargers)....they'll move out of the way.

I certainly wouldn't flash my lights at them, tailgate or gesture to them in anyway (in Western PA, that may result in my looking down the business end of a CCW).

My biggest concern would be properly disabling a take-down light (if it has one) and since the Pursuit has no foglights, getting those mounted on the brush bar and operating in a manner that's in line with the PA laws (only when low beams are on and in conjunction with tail lights). A functional cop-spotlight and aux lighting on without tail lights or with high-beams will get you nicked around here, faster than just driving an unmarked former cop-car.
Install an LED light bar on the roof too. At the very least it will make them think twice if it's a police light bar or just LEDs.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
How in the hell does the DRL function constitute impersonating a police officer...not even close?! Sounds like you drove through and idiot convention or something?

That being said, if you want I have a fully functioning police light bar (bought it from an auction for $2) that I will part with in case you ever want to dabble in fraudulent law enforcement. >:)

Just kidding of course!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Too funny!!! My first car was a white 1973 Ford Torino unmarked police car from a nearby town. I never got all your attention haha.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Install an LED light bar on the roof too. At the very least it will make them think twice if it's a police light bar or just LEDs.
Here in PA, anything beyond 2 or 4 OEM headlights plus 2 more foglights (That only operate when low beams are on) is considered "off road" auxiliary lights, and must be covered while operating on the road. Now if you're a volunteer fireman you can have a blue light bar or even flashing blue lights in the grille/rear window, and if you deliver newspapers, you can have an amber light on top.

Since I am neither a fireman or paper-boy, I won't be adding those, or anything beyond the functional varmint deflecting brush bar.....and maybe a couple of those fake bullet-hole decals.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Here in PA, anything beyond 2 or 4 OEM headlights plus 2 more foglights (That only operate when low beams are on) is considered "off road" auxiliary lights, and must be covered while operating on the road. Now if you're a volunteer fireman you can have a blue light bar or even flashing blue lights in the grille/rear window, and if you deliver newspapers, you can have an amber light on top.

Since I am neither a fireman or paper-boy, I won't be adding those, or anything beyond the functional varmint deflecting brush bar.....and maybe a couple of those fake bullet-hole decals.
So cover em.

Or install a bike rack instead.

Or any sort of horizontal object on your roof, if it makes someone think twice, they will likely opt to assume you're actually a cop and move over than risk a ticket.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So cover em.

Or install a bike rack instead.

Or any sort of horizontal object on your roof, if it makes someone think twice, they will likely opt to assume you're actually a cop and move over than risk a ticket.
Nice idea. I actually do ride my mountain bike regularly (although I don't think I'd want to hoist my 4" fat-tire Mongoose on to the roof of the car), it would be a real functional rack......hmmmmmmmm

I'm thinking that the external brush-bar mounted foglights could be mistaken for in-grille flashing lights as well....even when they're off.

All I'd have to do is sprinkle some powdered sugar doughnut dust on the door handles to complete the illusion.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Post a pic of your car I want to see it.
Done:
WP_20190509_15_53_09_Pro (2).jpg !

I want to see this "unmarked" police car too.
Okay, but to be fair, it's only unmarked in the sense that the letters spelling out the city name and squad number have been removed. When I first got it, you could still plainly see what all the lettering was and where it was on the car because the adhesive left behind from the letters was still firmly in place. It took me a while, and a whole lot of Goo Gone, but I finally got all those stickers' glue off the various body panels.

The Bacon Hauler:
WP_20190516_16_42_00_Pro.jpg

The Bacon Hauler's sexy backside:
WP_20190516_16_38_41_Pro.jpg

The Bacon Hauler's power maker:
WP_20190516_16_39_42_Pro.jpg

The Bacon Hauler's sound system (A heavy-duty slide out rack in the trunk is standard equip on Pursuits; I re-purposed it into my audio system board, using it to mount my amps and LOC and help route all the wiring where it needs to go.):
WP_20190516_16_44_15_Pro.jpg

Please ignore the mismatched hodge-podge of fans cobbled together to cool the amps, I know it looks like crap. I am actually in the middle of gathering the fans I plan to use to replace those and clean up the rack's look altogether. I have pretty much all the hardware I need, I just need to pull that rack out, hang it up close to the ceiling, and then cut the new board and paint it, before moving everything from current rack to the new one. That'll likely get done this weekend...

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Well no wonder you are getting pulled over all the time. LOL
Guess your getting what you wanted out of the Charger, a lot of attention.
Looks good but that's more attention than I would want.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you get any tickets out of it or just a brow-beating "warning"?
No tickets; just a severe tongue lashing...figuratively speaking, of course

So this person throught that you were trying to pull people over simply becuase your headlights turned off and back on when shifting between Park and Drive at a stoplight???
That's my best hypothesis based on what the cop said was reported and what I know of how I was operating the car. The concerned citizen wasn't present for me inquire as to just what color spray paint he'd been huffing, so I will likely never know the whole truth.

Personally, I could never be bothered to shift into and out of park at a red light, but that is neither here nor there... I certainly don't see how that should get you pulled over. There are TONS of "ex police cars" on the road with the same type of paint job as your car.
That city's 911 service received a call stating that someone was impersonating a police officer, they had to investigate and question if the perp was found. I get that, I'm not miffed about the red tape of it all. It's the fact that the whole ordeal was completely unnecessary, just like the attitude I was getting from the LEO dressing me down.

I could understand it if you also got out of the car and approached their car after all of this - or if you had a security gaurd uniform on - or wore a hat that said "Police", etc... But simpy from what you describe, that seems to be a little much.

Just wait to see how bad it gets once you get your "bacn haulr" license plate though! I can only imagine what the cops are going to be like when you get pulled over with that plate!!! :)
Yeah, given these most recent events, I'm thinking the biggest change between before and after the plates go on the car is that after they are in place, the concerned citizens wanting to report my illegal behavior will easily be able to recite the license plate of the offending car to the 911 operators.

No one, not even me can remember what is on my plates now, but once they say BCN HLR, people will be able to recall that one for anyone that asks...like a 911 operator, for instance.

BCN HLR.PNG

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
20 Participants
praiseV8
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing