Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see, water, salt, dirt or whatever can run down the 1/4 and enter the holes that retain the rocker.

The upper rectangular rocker holes are completely exposed to water entry. If you live in an area that uses salt on the roads, that salt just sits in there forever.

The door offers some protection to the forward section of the rocker but between the door and the wheel, everything just flows right in.

I did a very minor 1/4 repair yesterday so I had a good opportunity to really look at the situation. Pics are of an 18 Challenger, Oregon car. No rust yet and we don’t salt the roads.
Automotive exterior Bumper Red Vehicle Car
Wall Concrete
Red Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,275 Posts
As you can see, water, salt, dirt or whatever can run down the 1/4 and enter the holes that retain the rocker.

The upper rectangular rocker holes are completely exposed to water entry. If you live in an area that uses salt on the roads, that salt just sits in there forever.

The door offers some protection to the forward section of the rocker but between the door and the wheel, everything just flows right in.

I did a very minor 1/4 repair yesterday so I had a good opportunity to really look at the situation. Pics are of an 18 Challenger, Oregon car. No rust yet and we don’t salt the roads. View attachment 1003465 View attachment 1003466 View attachment 1003467
How many miles on your Challenger?

Thanks for the pics

·
Registered
253 Posts
This really blows since I want to keep this car for a long time and I drive it during winter where salt is used. Do you think rust proofing could help? I can't believe Dodge hasn't done anything against this yet.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
376 Posts
This really blows since I want to keep this car for a long time and I drive it during winter where salt is used. Do you think rust proofing could help? I can't believe Dodge hasn't done anything against this yet.
Hi,

Just had mine Ziebarted, mainly to extend the corrosion warranty to 10 years. Not sure anything will stop the rust, but as they say a ounce of prevention...

You would think they would have not designed it in this way.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
I've got rust on both quarters, scheduled to repair it in a few weeks. Any ideas to prevent it from coming back next time? I think the shop is gonna do something with a coating or paint to help prevent it, but what about sealing those holes? You'd think they'd have a rubber grommet or something there and not just a hole.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
Good info.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,027 Posts
Looks like the rocker panel is injected with closed cell foam which I'm guessing is supposed to keep liquid out but foam appears to be punctured by molding clips. Foam isn't a great sealant and when liquid gets in the cavity it tends to keep it there. Oregon Scat, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,360 Posts
Called cavity WAX, get some !!!

3M™ Cavity Wax Plus 08852 is a non-hardening, self-healing corrosion protection coating for internal auto body panels and structural enclosures, as well as new replacement parts. It is designed to cover and seal internal joints, hem flanges and other areas where OEM e-coat may be compromised. It will not chip, peel or crack.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have to keep an eye on my quarter panels as I live in New Jersey and they salt and put all kinds of chemicals on the road even if snow is in the forecast. I don’t drive in rain or snow but could get stuck in a storm. No rust showing yet. I’m the 2nd owner and the car came from Kansas so not sure if the former owner keep the car in the garage in winter. The car was like new with 12k on it last year when I purchased it. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Called cavity WAX, get some !!!

3M™ Cavity Wax Plus 08852 is a non-hardening, self-healing corrosion protection coating for internal auto body panels and structural enclosures, as well as new replacement parts. It is designed to cover and seal internal joints, hem flanges and other areas where OEM e-coat may be compromised. It will not chip, peel or crack.
I agree. Removing the plastic rocker, flooding the holes with cavity wax, then reinstalling the plastic rocker cover is probably the best option.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is this a difficult thing to do?
No. removing the plastic rocker cover is simple. Screws and/or plastic rivets on the ends, pull all along the bottom to release the clips then pull along the top to take it the rest of the way off. The rocker covers are listed as non reusable so be prepared to buy replacements.

The last one I removed none of the molded in retainers broke or stretched so it’s not a guarantee that you will need new ones, just a possibility. I’m in a shop environment where things are a little different. If the vehicle manufacturer says replace, it gets replaced. Obviously these rules don’t apply to DIY guys at home.

you will have retainers that stay in the bottom of the steel rocker that you will need to fish out and re-install onto the plastic rocker cover.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Its all on here from peoples earlier post if you look for it. Its how I found out about it.

The foam can mostly be blown out with compressed air - the air breaks it up enough for it to come out of those same holes. I then covered the holes not used by the clips, and closed as much of the others as I could with bitumen patches, after spraying cavity wax inside. You don't want to "flood" the rocker area with wax, more mist it. If you flood it, it solidifies in lumps, cracks, and pulls away from the surface - allowing moisture to sit behind it. All cars will sweat from temperature changes causing condensation - you just cant see it the other side of all the trim.

If you remove the rear wheel arch plastic liners and look up to the front and rear of the inside of the rear quarter, you will hopefully see two small bitumen patches stuck over holes in the inner panel - or more likely, see ones half- hanging off. So guess where all the water that makes it around the arch liners in bad weather goes . . . down the inside the cavity and down on top of the foam.

I covered them back up, and also sprayed underseal over them to seal. After 25 yrs running Lancias here in the UK, I know a little about keeping a car as rust free as possible - determined my Challenger will last as long as possible too.

And if those lower cover panel clips snap on your 15 onwards - I'm told they are not available from Dodge - but GM molding retainers sold in Autozone etc are identical - Dorman 963-567D

UK customs must have wondered why I had a suitcase full on my last trip coming back from the USA :)

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
Have to keep an eye on my quarter panels as I live in New Jersey and they salt and put all kinds of chemicals on the road even if snow is in the forecast. I don’t drive in rain or snow but could get stuck in a storm. No rust showing yet. I’m the 2nd owner and the car came from Kansas so not sure if the former owner keep the car in the garage in winter. The car was like new with 12k on it last year when I purchased it. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck, mine was like new as well at 30k miles. After one winter in NJ both mine starting rotting out. Finally getting it fixed now after waiting on it for a year.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good luck, mine was like new as well at 30k miles. After one winter in NJ both mine starting rotting out. Finally getting it fixed now after waiting on it for a year.
I never take her out in bad weather as I have a company car and keep the Challenger in the garage. I have been caught in small showers in summer. Think I will invest in replacement rocker covers and see what is under there. I'm only here a few more years and then its retirement time and out of high tax, shit roads New Jersey.

Reactions: Klink
1 - 20 of 30 Posts