Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...because people obviously want the boring BMW colours.

" 20% of North America's car buyers drove off in white vehicles this year. Black and silver were also popular--17% of buyers preferred these shades. Blue ranked fourth (13%) and gray rounded out the top five (12%)"

My wife and I sit and look at cars in parking lots sometimes, and cars colours are so bland these days. 50-70% of cars in ANY parking lot or roadway are black, silver/grey and white. Next you see are red and blue. Yellow, green, pink, electric blue, very rare. We both like brighter colours, but as business people, we totally understand why there isn't a Lime green Challenger yet, and why DY, PCP, FF and B5 simply are not at the dealerships. It simply will NOT make money for Chrysler. I like Apple too, so I'm used to being in the minority, but I'm OK with that...I like 'Best Kept Secrets' anyway! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
"People" are sheep.... The kind of person that buys a Challenger in a loud color, isn't a Sheep :)

(And so as to not inflame the Challenger family that chose Black, Silver or White) they look FANTASTIC in those colors too! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
"People" are sheep.... The kind of person that buys a Challenger in a loud color, isn't a Sheep :)

(And so as to not inflame the Challenger family that chose Black, Silver or White) they look FANTASTIC in those colors too! :D
So wait... what color is LOUD then? =)

I bought the bright red firecracker that apparently catches SHP's eye. =) I can't tell you how many times in the last month I will be cruising along and all of the sudden my v1 goes NUTS! LOL. They see me and just assume I am up to no good.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a Mac and a white Challenger.
Isn't that a contradiction?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
So wait... what color is LOUD then? =)

I bought the bright red firecracker that apparently catches SHP's eye. =) I can't tell you how many times in the last month I will be cruising along and all of the sudden my v1 goes NUTS! LOL. They see me and just assume I am up to no good.
All too true

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Wow, were you recording my recent conversation with my wife? Pretty funny either way. We were basically commenting on the fact that most colors you see on the road today blend together. Sand, tan, beige, grey, silver, white, etc. Personally I am a color guy. It's not that I like a specific color of blue or red or whatever, I just some colors. Call it the Skittles syndrome (my daughters words). You may very well be correct as to what colors are the most popular to the general public and that would translate to more sales. But, it doesn't mean I have to like it.

" 20% of North America's car buyers drove off in white vehicles this year. Black and silver were also popular--17% of buyers preferred these shades. Blue ranked fourth (13%) and gray rounded out the top five (12%)"

My wife and I sit and look at cars in parking lots sometimes, and cars colours are so bland these days. 50-70% of cars in ANY parking lot or roadway are black, silver/grey and white. Next you see are red and blue. Yellow, green, pink, electric blue, very rare. We both like brighter colours, but as business people, we totally understand why there isn't a Lime green Challenger yet, and why DY, PCP, FF and B5 simply are not at the dealerships. It simply will NOT make money for Chrysler. I like Apple too, so I'm used to being in the minority, but I'm OK with that...I like 'Best Kept Secrets' anyway! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please, PLEASE, no one take offence. That's not my intention and I forgot to put that in my OP.

The fact is: There are bland colours and there are vibrant colours. Just the way it is. NEITHER one is right or wrong. We just bought our 2 year old house. It had a the one colour paint inside, Pale Yellow, white baseboards. Did I hate it? No. Did I want something different (more colourful?). Yes. We now have vibrant colours throughout the house. "Builders Beige" is OK in a showhome, and looks great in a lot of homes too. Just not for us, we aren't afraid of colour.

Do I love a white Challenger? Oh yeah. Am I looking forward to the new black? Yep. (Sorry, the dark, metallic 'grey' didn't work for me). I personally think Chrysler has done a great job of colours on the Challenger in the first 4 years! I'm sure there's more coming!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts

I always buy black, maybe i'm a conformist, but there is a guy who drives a 08 in purple with white stripe in my neighborhood and i see him or her every day (window tints) and i always look in awe even tho my ride is black with charcoal stripe. I wish i could pull the trigger on something like that but my sensible side says -"hey, youre gonna have this car for a few year" plus, black goes with everything right? also my wife looks hot getting out of it in a ****tail dress.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Nakita,

You are preaching to the choir.... I have pink carpet in my house! (they said it was Rasberry Ice) :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
In looking at cars on the road, it does seem that 90% of them are black, white, silver, or grey. Based on the statistics the original poster gave, if one throws in blue, that's 79% of cars on the road, which seems about right.

I personally happen to like bright colors but I also like understated ones too. I think the Challenger looks great in any color and while I personally prefer it in high impact colors, if it were a daily driver I probably would have chosen white. For example, I ordered a 2012 Mustang GT for a daily driver and I chose white because it's easy to maintain with minimal effort and it doesn't draw attention from police and vandals. If the car was going to be a garage queen like my Challenger, I would have gotten Grabber Blue, which would have complemented my Hemi Orange R/T Classic perfectly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had never lumped grey into the common colors before, but I guess I can see it. Personally, I just love the color and am very happy with it. While there may be a bunch of grey cars on the road, I have yet to see another Billet Metallic Challenger and I'm in an area where I see a lot of Challengers on the road. I get some satisfaction out of that :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Just since joining CT I've started shifting my color preference from one of the greys over to one of the high impact colors. I held out for several months to find my graphite grey ram and was all set for either titanium or tungsten for the challenger, but am starting to warm to the TO, GWE, B5, and even FF/HO which I really did NOT like until seeing a few on here. I know saying I didn't like hemi orange is blasphemy, but I still prefer toxic. I wont buy black and I wont buy white. Black and white seem to be sitting on lots around me.

The OP's original stats are probably a bit scewed because the high impact colors are typically bought by order. I would imagine several owners didn't even know some of the high impacts were available. I've yet to see GWE in a showroom at any of the 4 dealers I've been too locally. I've seen 1 used FF and 1 used B5. You guys need to let those cars out of the stables more often.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I will say, you're onto something. I would have loved to have a Challenger in Plum Crazy but couldn't find a base auto R/T with the 3.92 rear end and 20s. I was absolutely crushed and settled for black as it was the only Challenger with the options I wanted IN THE CITY. I also wanted a Hemi Orange one but as originally said, cops would be ALL over it. I might as well gone to prison and made reservations. Still, I would give up the Brilliant Black one in a heart beat for a Plum Crazy one, only if I could keep the warranty....damn, woulda coulda shoulda......

·
Super Moderator
17,347 Posts
I still remember a comment from long-time friends of my family (they were in their mid 60s / early 70s at the time):

That grays, silver, , smoke silver (dark gray) black, white, gold, metallic beige were "old people" colors and why having such colors would never be their choice!

This couple had T-birds, Mustang convertibles and a Toyota MR-2 Spyder in shades of red and the like over the years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Judging by how many people stare at my PCP I would say most people want the high impact colors but are afraid to pull the trigger themselves. At least once a day someone stops me to tell me how much they love the color. I guarantee that never happens if I have black. My last car was black and I loved it but, I love the PCP even more.

I just wish I had waited a year so I could have bought the GWE....anyone want to trade?

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
Lets face it to most people cars are just transportation and they don't mind blending in with everybody else. I like my muscle cars to have some color to match their personality.

When I went to order my Challenger I was thinking maybe I should buy a car that blends in more ( although I don't think a Challenger in any color will ever blend in with their more mundane brethren ). Then as I talked color choice with the salesman he said they just opened up Hemi Orange again and I said I'll take it. I had a 70 duster 340 in that color once and always wished I would of had an original Hemi Orange Challenger. With just that chance at hand I went for it.

By the way I'm not sure that I agree that these brighter colors wouldn't sell well for the dealerships. Hemi Orange was the second best selling color after Black until Chrysler in their infinite wisdom axed it. Hard to say how many Plum Crazy cars would of sold if it hadn't been limited and I've seen quite a few Toxic Orange cars around.

I wish that Dodge would keep the order banks open on colors long enough that people could actually see the colors on the lot. I initially thought about Plum Crazy but wanted to see what the color looked like on an actual car before ordering. Of course by the time they were out you could no longer order one, so I went with Hemi Orange, no regrets there.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I wanted a white R/T because that's what Kowalski drove. :p
I also would have bought one in "Petty" Blue or Dark Forest Green, had the colors been available.
Red or Orange? Not likely. Not the way I drive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Challenger screams look at me so I went with a color that screamed loudest to me. There are few cars that can pull off the high impact colors without looking stupid. For example, imagine a Grand Caravan or any minivan in hemi orange or purple. You would think the driver is a pimp. Muscle cars, however, can pull off these colors effectively and look cool doing it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.