Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Options Report build sheet for my 2013 R/T Classic (thanks, Luke!). The sheet lists all standard and optional equipment that my car has. The car was built 4/13. It's a 6 speed, has 20" wheels, and has STP listed under the Optional Equipment section (also stated on the window sticker, and it has all the STP goodies upon a visual inspection). All my other options check out as well.

But under the Standard options section, it states that I have 3.73 gears. Some of us always took it as gospel that 6 speed cars with STP came with 3.92 gears. It also has the limited slip rear axle if that makes any difference. So how do I know for sure which gears I have??

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
It has ALL the STP stuff

The left side shows standard stuff. The right side shows what you have on the window sticker.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
3.73 gears are standard on 18" wheels, once your car was upgraded to a Classic, all of it gets upgraded as part of the package.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yeah, all the Classic 6 speed cars do. All R/T's with 20" wheel packages upgrade to the 3.92 gears.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
what Luke says, I have heard of quite a few 6sp owners have found out they have 3.73 axle ratio even with 20" wheels and the brochure saying "Classics" come standard with 3.92 ratio. they took the 3.92 standard verbage off the sticker a few months ago, presumably so they don't have to explain the 3.73 ratio.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Perhaps he should have bought a 6 speed...

not according to the option list, his vehicle shows to have 3.73 not 3.92....
Luke
...he would not have timing chain issues either...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a Classic purchased down by Luke and it states on the window sticker 3.92. But I think 3.73 might be better since first gear is almost useless, maybe go ten feet before shifting to second. I can be in 5th gear by 45 of 50 driving normally.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I drive a lot of winding, hilly country roads at @55mph and I consider that to be 5th gear sweet spot. With the engine turning @2k controlling speed never requires the brakes. First gear from a dig with 3.92 is awesome and in normal driving I don't feel it winds out too soon.

I love the way my car is geared.

Reactions: RoostKing

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
. . . So how do I know for sure which gears I have??
If you can't find a tag on the rear itself, then after you jack up the back of the car, spin the wheels by hand and count how many times the drive shaft turns. Stick a piece of tape on the shaft so you get a good reference point.

With the 3:92, the shaft will rotate nearly four times with one revolution of the wheel. With the 3:73, the shaft will rotate 3 3/4 times with one revolution of the wheel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got the Options Report build sheet for my 2013 R/T Classic (thanks, Luke!). The sheet lists all standard and optional equipment that my car has. The car was built 4/13. It's a 6 speed, has 20" wheels, and has STP listed under the Optional Equipment section (also stated on the window sticker, and it has all the STP goodies upon a visual inspection). All my other options check out as well.

But under the Standard options section, it states that I have 3.73 gears. Some of us always took it as gospel that 6 speed cars with STP came with 3.92 gears. It also has the limited slip rear axle if that makes any difference. So how do I know for sure which gears I have??
I know Luke pulled this for you, but if you pm me your VIN, I can try and help you decode this as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, so here's the story.

The car does have the 3.92. It shows the 3.73 under standard equipment but under optional equipment displays the 27M package, aka Classic with Manual transmission.

That package encapsulates the 20" wheel and the 3.92. It supercedes the standard equipment of the 3.73 ratio.

It does not clearly state this on the options report, but if you go in to build a Classic with a manual, it comes up with only the option for a 3.92, both on Dodge's website and in the VOIM on dealerconnect.

I have never seen this any other way.

There is a far less scientific way to test this as well. Without any modifications to the car, stock tire size and all of that, stock rev limiter, a 3.92 with a manual transmission gets to 59.8 mph, and will not break 60 before bumping the rev limiter.

I can say safely that I would place money on you having a 3.92 rear axle ratio, even though it is not reflected in the options report.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
an R/T Classic should say standard equipment is 3.92 ratio not 3.73. there was a move to replace the 3.92 ratio with 3.73 ratio, that seems to be what Dodge is doing. many folks thought they were getting 3.92 ran a build report and it shows 3.73 installed. info from someone who works at a Dodge dealership says they are coming with 3.73 standard 6sp now, and because the brochure said different Dodge was being forced to replace the axle with 3.92 for those who complained. it seems Dodge is either short on the 3.92 or they are quietly trying to change over to 3.73 for some reason but there are a bunch of "Classic" 6spds out there coming with 3.73 since March-April of 2013 builds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
R/T Classic's don't show a 3.92 under standard equipment. R/T plus and R/T Classic are both option packages. Model codes do not change with the addition of the package. So the 3.73 shows up as standard equipment because on a base R/T with manual, the gearing is 3.73. Then under optional equipment the R/T Plus or R/T Classic package will show up and that package will include the 3.92 gearing.

I have never heard of a customer who had a Classic with a Manual and got the 3.73 gearing.

Just FYI, I work in a dealership, which is how I was able to pull the options list and how I am able to check VOIM in dealerconnect. VOIM is vehicle and inventory management and when I go in to build a Challenger, the selection of 27M, the R/T Classic package with manual, automatically adds 3.92. There is no option to change this anywhere.

If you could show me complaints of 3.73 gears coming when 3.92 gears should be present I'd be more than happy to work try and figure that out as well.

I've never heard of Dodge's push to replace the 3.92 with 3.73, either.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
yea, my window sticker with an Auto said 3.92 ratio as standard, then after options it listed 3.06 ratio. I'll PM you a link to a facebook page where a friend who works at a dealer in Florida has dealt with this very issue (where I got my info). he personally had his rear changed to 3.92 and has helped others identify this situation. he was the one that said no matter what the brochure say's, they seem to be now coming with 3.73's and they removed mention of ratio from most Monroney Stickers I've seen, as it looks to not confuse the issue. again, just relating the info and experiences of folks that seem to be getting the 3.73 when they are expecting 3.92. (and they are all "Classics" because it's a Plum Crazy group and those didn't come in an R/T or R/T Plus) no one with a Plum SRT has seemed to have this deficiency.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R/T Classic's don't show a 3.92 under standard equipment. R/T plus and R/T Classic are both option packages. Model codes do not change with the addition of the package. So the 3.73 shows up as standard equipment because on a base R/T with manual, the gearing is 3.73. Then under optional equipment the R/T Plus or R/T Classic package will show up and that package will include the 3.92 gearing.

I have never heard of a customer who had a Classic with a Manual and got the 3.73 gearing.

Just FYI, I work in a dealership, which is how I was able to pull the options list and how I am able to check VOIM in dealerconnect. VOIM is vehicle and inventory management and when I go in to build a Challenger, the selection of 27M, the R/T Classic package with manual, automatically adds 3.92. There is no option to change this anywhere.

If you could show me complaints of 3.73 gears coming when 3.92 gears should be present I'd be more than happy to work try and figure that out as well.

I've never heard of Dodge's push to replace the 3.92 with 3.73, either.
Thanks for looking this up. I hope this is the case, and it may very well be. I just figure that we should get exactly what we pay for. The brochure I got at the dealership states 3.92 gearing for the 6-speed Classic. I don't think this would look good for Dodge if they advertise one thing and switch it for something else.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
This doesn't make sense, but I doubt Dodge is phasing 3.92 out. If anything if it's true, that your R/T has 3.73 installed at the factory. I would bet it was a supply issue. Here's my reasoning. My 13 R/T was built in May. I checked my sticker, and logged into owner connect on Dodge's website. They both list 3.92 installed. Here's a screenshot.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts