Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a follow up to my post from 08-20-2017...couple paint issues I had with my 2017 GT. The dealers body shop is gonna re-do the trunk lid, I stopped by the other day to touch base with them, talked to the body guy and the service guy, the body guy says they will fix the 3 defects he saw in the hood..........ahhhhhhhh, I mentioned there are a few more than 3, he says mark them, so I did.

He found 3 looking at them in a 80-90 thou plus paint booth/ service area.............I found over 30 in a 22X22 garage with a 150 Watt light blub. LOL.............im sure this isn"t gonna be pretty for me.

Never expected for the paint to be perfect, found a few defects on the top hood I'm not even gonna mention, but this is just too much. At first I was gonna let some slid by, but seeing the body guy was pretty much calling me a dumb A$$. and I don"t know what I'm looking at , look at this AH.

If this is the best Dodge can do , I'm in real trouble. LOL, enclosed is a pic of my 66, paint is 20 yrs old, you have to look for a long time to fine a defect in it................on the challenger, it only took a minute or two. Would have the same guy who painted my 66 re-do it for me, but he died a few years back........and this car was painted in a garage..........almost flawless.

To be fair, these defects are really hard to see............in the sun you will never see any of them..............its just the point for me.

So far my options are, they offered me $27 grand for my car, only a month old..........I paid 30 for it...........not sure where I'm gonna go with this....................im gonna see how the re-paint/re-buff is gonna go.

I love the car, my 2nd challenger............BUT

This is for the guys who wanted a update.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Wish I could see the actual defect. Clear can change the color on white. You have a chance of a color mismatch from deck lid to 1/4s and hood to fenders and front bumper (but bumper covers never really match anyway).

They may end up chasing the color around the car.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Good luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish I could see the actual defect. Clear can change the color on white. You have a chance of a color mismatch from deck lid to 1/4s and hood to fenders and front bumper (but bumper covers never really match anyway).

They may end up chasing the color around the car.
Ok, they looked at the hood, and decided it needs a re-paint........so they had to send another request to "Daddy Dodge" for approval, they were only gonna wet sand & buff, until I showed them a few more issues, so now the hood & trunk are gonna get painted..........god knows how this is gonna turn out. LOL

Hey OS, its hard to see in the pics, but most of them look like small pimples, although the guy says today, I have some fish eyes also.

Hopefully this turns out good............not sure whats gonna happen if not.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
Ok, they looked at the hood, and decided it needs a re-paint........so they had to send another request to "Daddy Dodge" for approval, they were only gonna wet sand & buff, until I showed them a few more issues, so now the hood & trunk are gonna get painted..........god knows how this is gonna turn out. LOL

Hey OS, its hard to see in the pics, but most of them look like small pimples, although the guy says today, I have some fish eyes also.

Hopefully this turns out good............not sure whats gonna happen if not.

Rich
Are those tiny pinholes? When I bought my white challenger it had little specs of yellow-ish/brown-ish specs all over the place which where removed with a dealer wax job, after I pointed them out.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are those tiny pinholes? When I bought my white challenger it had little specs of yellow-ish/brown-ish specs all over the place which where removed with a dealer wax job, after I pointed them out.

Good luck!!
I think he was calling them "Paint nibs"..........no wax is getting those out. LOL.........im thinking a lot of them are in the actual paint, not the clear.

Speaking of the yellow-ish/brown-ish spots, have a few of those inside the actual trunk area..........wasn't too worked up over that, seeing its just a trunk that I rarely open.

Hoping for the best here............if not, I"ll deal with it then..............bought a lot of cars in my life, never one two months later though.

Rich

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That big spot on the deck lid looks like a post-paint, spot in. I agree, your paint has problems. They actually have a number of nibs that are acceptable per panel, but I also agree, those look like they are in the base coat.

Anything in the base coat can only be repaired by reprinting (but you already know that.)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I think he was calling them "Paint nibs"..........no wax is getting those out. LOL.........im thinking a lot of them are in the actual paint, not the clear.

Speaking of the yellow-ish/brown-ish spots, have a few of those inside the actual trunk area..........wasn't too worked up over that, seeing its just a trunk that I rarely open.

Hoping for the best here............if not, I"ll deal with it then..............bought a lot of cars in my life, never one two months later though.

Rich
I don't like the sound of that. Unless they give you all your money back. One step at a time. See what happens.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Just a follow up to my post from 08-20-2017...couple paint issues I had with my 2017 GT. The dealers body shop is gonna re-do the trunk lid, I stopped by the other day to touch base with them, talked to the body guy and the service guy, the body guy says they will fix the 3 defects he saw in the hood..........ahhhhhhhh, I mentioned there are a few more than 3, he says mark them, so I did.

He found 3 looking at them in a 80-90 thou plus paint booth/ service area.............I found over 30 in a 22X22 garage with a 150 Watt light blub. LOL.............im sure this isn"t gonna be pretty for me.

Never expected for the paint to be perfect, found a few defects on the top hood I'm not even gonna mention, but this is just too much. At first I was gonna let some slid by, but seeing the body guy was pretty much calling me a dumb A$$. and I don"t know what I'm looking at , look at this AH.

If this is the best Dodge can do , I'm in real trouble. LOL, enclosed is a pic of my 66, paint is 20 yrs old, you have to look for a long time to fine a defect in it................on the challenger, it only took a minute or two. Would have the same guy who painted my 66 re-do it for me, but he died a few years back........and this car was painted in a garage..........almost flawless.

To be fair, these defects are really hard to see............in the sun you will never see any of them..............its just the point for me.

So far my options are, they offered me $27 grand for my car, only a month old..........I paid 30 for it...........not sure where I'm gonna go with this....................im gonna see how the re-paint/re-buff is gonna go.

I love the car, my 2nd challenger............BUT

This is for the guys who wanted a update.

Rich
If the paint is that bad, tell the dealer to eat a shoe and go straight to Dodge?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just another update for you guys that helped me with this...............seems like you have to whine like a little girl to get anything done around here...............and I can whine with the best of them. LOL

Stopped by today , they have the hood & trunk lid painted, looks pretty good, there gonna wet sand & Buff next, I should have the car back by Monday.

OregonScat, you mentioned they allow a certain many defects per panel, any idea on how many...........I e mailed Dodge asking the same question, so far no answer.

Took a few pics & didn't think about it until I left, but man that paint looked mighty brite..............hoping they got the right one.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help you guys gave me............I was really stressed out over this deal.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to mention, is the only thing holding the spoiler down 3M tape...........wow, I thought they would have been at least two screws/bolts.

Rich

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Forgot to mention, is the only thing holding the spoiler down 3M tape...........wow, I thought they would have been at least two screws/bolts.

Rich
There's 3M tape, some clips in in the middle section and there's a stud on each end of the spoiler

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
There's 3M tape, some clips in in the middle section and there's a stud on each end of the spoiler
Talk about a spoiler alert. I really don't like the feel of the spoiler as I grab it to close the trunk, feels flimsy. Seems like cars these days are built with foam, tape and plastic yet the challenger still weighs over 2 tons.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just another update for you guys that helped me with this...............seems like you have to whine like a little girl to get anything done around here...............and I can whine with the best of them. LOL

Stopped by today , they have the hood & trunk lid painted, looks pretty good, there gonna wet sand & Buff next, I should have the car back by Monday.

OregonScat, you mentioned they allow a certain many defects per panel, any idea on how many...........I e mailed Dodge asking the same question, so far no answer.

Took a few pics & didn't think about it until I left, but man that paint looked mighty brite..............hoping they got the right one.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help you guys gave me............I was really stressed out over this deal.

Rich
I don't know if anyone can give you an exact number for allowable dirt/nibs. It will depend on panel size and manufacturer. More on a bed side, less on a fender, for example. That's for production line painting.

On your repaint, in a quality booth, you should have little to no dirt.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,770 Posts

Rich
Chances are they won't say, even if they have set guidelines. When LCD TVs first came out, they said x number of pixels withing 2" of each other, in this area of screen, etc. That quickly changed to a "case by case basis". Basically, they found many more pixel defects than anticipated, so soon it was their discretion. A Guy

·
Registered
569 Posts
Chances are they won't say, even if they have set guidelines. When LCD TVs first came out, they said x number of pixels withing 2" of each other, in this area of screen, etc. That quickly changed to a "case by case basis". Basically, they found many more pixel defects than anticipated, so soon it was their discretion. A Guy
I was in the A/V biz when that crap started. What a frickin' mess. I haven't kept up with the current state of flat panel displays, has anything changed?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Rich
You're welcome, I like to help the humans.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,770 Posts
I was in the A/V biz when that crap started. What a frickin' mess. I haven't kept up with the current state of flat panel displays, has anything changed?
If you didn't get into appliances or some other sideline like satellite, as a TV repair only company, you are out of business now. Sad but true. Now we have OLED which can burn in, like Plasma. People pay big bucks, watch MSNBC, or ESPN constantly, and burn in a logo and find out it's not covered...not a happy customer. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
If you didn't get into appliances or some other sideline like satellite, as a TV repair only company, you are out of business now. Sad but true. Now we have OLED which can burn in, like Plasma. People pay big bucks, watch MSNBC, or ESPN constantly, and burn in a logo and find out it's not covered...not a happy customer. A Guy

Is there anything to be gained by watching MSNBC? Now I have another reason not to watch........Rachel Maddow et al?
Certifiable and full of blind hate. Not news in my view. I think it is necessary viewing on that coast. LOL!

I have been watching 2 football games on espn..........At least the commercials don't show it. Good observation, but I think you had more than observation. First hand experience....... Sorry. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts