Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched through the forums and found some good threads that quickly turned into arguments. With the 15 Scat Pack coming soon it has me wondering if my next step should be $6-7k down on a new SP or spend it on a supercharger for my 5.7. I would like to hear from those who have driven both. What was your experience?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Scat Pack is going to be better in every way. Better engine. Better transmission (if you go the automatic route), Better interior. Better exterior (due to LED lighting and revised facias but also my opinion). Performance pages and launch control

I'd get the Scat Pack and then supercharge it down the road. That's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Subscribed. This has been my struggle since they announced the Scat Pack cars. I was hoping the SC kits would go down in price but doesn't look like they will. Love my RT...but the '15 models with the A8s and big engines make it a tough decision.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Depends on if it is a car or a hobby. Swinging wrenches yourself or buy off the shelf. If financially you can buy the SP then pull it apart, do that. I wouldn't bother putting on a SC if you are not going to do it yourself. Mine - hobby. I'm over $30k in mods on my '12 SRT, so more in it than a Hellcat, but it is a hobby to me. Money spent is entertainment/hobby money to tool around drinking beer with buddies on the weekend. So, if it's a hobby, pull it apart and play around, otherwise, it sounds like you want a SP....which is also a great choice.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You definitely get a lot of car for the money but with the money in hand it would be a hard decision. I do like to turn wrenches myself and buying the SP would deny me of my first attempt at installing a supercharger.

What I am also curious about is the performance comparison between the two. Supercharging the 5.7 should give higher peak numbers but since it will be my daily driver I also love the low end torque, which the 6.4 has plenty of.

It really seems like its a toss up between buying for comfort as I would get all the new upgrades and the low end torque I want, or buying to satisfy my need to turn wrenches and get the high top end.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Spray is the best! Someone needs to spray a 392 and see how awesome it is. A 150 shot on a 392 would gain like 200ftlbs of torque and put you at 640hp ish.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am in this same situation. I have about $6k into my 13 RT, and I would lose most of that plus depreciation. I simply cannot justify the loss, and frankly like my current car.

A supercharged 5.7 with an 8# magnacharger will make around 475whp and about 500 ft lbs of torque at the wheels. The torque curve is very flat, and that matters. An RT with this mod would probably outrun a stock 6.4

No wrong answer, it's a personal decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts