Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Challenger, but have been lusting after one for a while. Almost bought a SP last Summer, after test-driving an SXT Plus, an R/T 5.7 Plus (auto), a SP (manual), and an SRT (manual). Decided that I would wait for B5 Blue to come back.

With news that B5 and PCP could be back in April, I got to spend 2 days and about 4 hours total with an 2017 R/T automatic this past weekend. The car I got had under 15k miles and BF Goodrich tires. The car was a plain Jane, with the only option a sunroof. Here are my thoughts.

1. What I liked:
a. the engine -- very, very nice shove. Last year, I was unimpressed by the 345. Dunno what is different here, but this thing moved. As in, hauled enough a.. that I would seriously consider it. Yes, the 392 is exceptional, but this one beat my expectations.
b. comfort -- great seat (especially the back support), excellent suspension -- a friend who came along also was impressed.

2. On the one hand, on the other hand:
a. sunroof: it is ideally positioned to brighten the driver space, which I like, but it left me precious little head room -- forget about wearing a helmet inside.
b. exhaust note: it is intoxicating on heavy acceleration and, in sport mode, deceleration as the 8-speed auto downshifts (really, really great sound). Yet, I found it too boomy most of the time. I'll probably get the car back for a long-distance trip, to see if I can tolerate the exhaust note at cruising speeds for long periods of time.

3. What needs work:
a. brakes -- thankfully, Dodge has decided to offer the 4-piston Brembos as an option. Still, I wonder why they need to be an option -- the regular brakes, IMHO, are simply insufficient given the power and weight of the car.
b. headlights -- HIDs are a must. No "ifs" or "buts" about it: the base projectors simply do not provide enough illumination, even in high beam mode.
c. rattles -- sunroof/headliner, and the left front corner of the dash, both rattled on rough roads. Not a good sign at so few miles?
d. dashboard lighting -- seems like a minor issue, but it annoyed me -- there should be an additional setting between the brightest one and the next few ones (which range from "too dim" to "way too dim").
e. footwell space -- my shoes hit the bottom of the steering column a number of times. Not good, and since I can't change my foot size it is something that I'd have to think about seriously for a 6-speed.

Bottom line, do I like the car? Yes -- you guys are lucky!!!

Would I buy one? Well, now I am not sure anymore. My two issues are that the engine is constantly tempting the driver to go very fast and, when one goes more slowly, it keeps making a boomy noise anyways. Overall, it is a tremendously enjoyable car, but driving it reminded me of why I own a BRZ for the weekends ( it lets me push it hard and enjoy driving it while staying at legal limits. There would be nothing wrong with going faster... in Germany. Stateside, it's another matter.) and a C350 for the road trips (super-poised and quiet, yet fun when needed).

I've got a few months to decide. Now about B5 blue...

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
You'll know which one is right, when the time comes.

Hope they make B5 again, so you can get yourself one. Amazing color.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I don't own a Challenger, but have been lusting after one for a while. Almost bought a SP last Summer, after test-driving an SXT Plus, an R/T 5.7 Plus (auto), a SP (manual), and an SRT (manual). Decided that I would wait for B5 Blue to come back.

With news that B5 and PCP could be back in April, I got to spend 2 days and about 4 hours total with an 2017 R/T automatic this past weekend. The car I got had under 15k miles and BF Goodrich tires. The car was a plain Jane, with the only option a sunroof. Here are my thoughts.

1. What I liked:
a. the engine -- very, very nice shove. Last year, I was unimpressed by the 345. Dunno what is different here, but this thing moved. As in, hauled enough a.. that I would seriously consider it. Yes, the 392 is exceptional, but this one beat my expectations.
b. comfort -- great seat (especially the back support), excellent suspension -- a friend who came along also was impressed.

2. On the one hand, on the other hand:
a. sunroof: it is ideally positioned to brighten the driver space, which I like, but it left me precious little head room -- forget about wearing a helmet inside.
b. exhaust note: it is intoxicating on heavy acceleration and, in sport mode, deceleration as the 8-speed auto downshifts (really, really great sound). Yet, I found it too boomy most of the time. I'll probably get the car back for a long-distance trip, to see if I can tolerate the exhaust note at cruising speeds for long periods of time.

3. What needs work:
a. brakes -- thankfully, Dodge has decided to offer the 4-piston Brembos as an option. Still, I wonder why they need to be an option -- the regular brakes, IMHO, are simply insufficient given the power and weight of the car.
b. headlights -- HIDs are a must. No "ifs" or "buts" about it: the base projectors simply do not provide enough illumination, even in high beam mode.
c. rattles -- sunroof/headliner, and the left front corner of the dash, both rattled on rough roads. Not a good sign at so few miles?
d. dashboard lighting -- seems like a minor issue, but it annoyed me -- there should be an additional setting between the brightest one and the next few ones (which range from "too dim" to "way too dim").
e. footwell space -- my shoes hit the bottom of the steering column a number of times. Not good, and since I can't change my foot size it is something that I'd have to think about seriously for a 6-speed.

Bottom line, do I like the car? Yes -- you guys are lucky!!!

Would I buy one? Well, now I am not sure anymore. My two issues are that the engine is constantly tempting the driver to go very fast and, when one goes more slowly, it keeps making a boomy noise anyways. Overall, it is a tremendously enjoyable car, but driving it reminded me of why I own a BRZ for the weekends ( it lets me push it hard and enjoy driving it while staying at legal limits. There would be nothing wrong with going faster... in Germany. Stateside, it's another matter.) and a C350 for the road trips (super-poised and quiet, yet fun when needed).

I've got a few months to decide. Now about B5 blue...
Take it from someone who has owned both manual and automatic (8 speed) Challengers with the active exhaust you experienced, the autos have much more drone at cruising speed. The manual is the better choice if you want to control your exhaust note. For what it's worth, I'm 6'4" with size 13 shoes and have no issues under the dash with foot or knee clearance. Perhaps you didn't find the right seat adjustment?

Reactions: ayilar

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Take it from someone who has owned both manual and automatic (8 speed) Challengers with the active exhaust you experienced, the autos have much more drone at cruising speed. The manual is the better choice if you want to control your exhaust note. For what it's worth, I'm 6'4" with size 13 shoes and have no issues under the dash with foot or knee clearance. Perhaps you didn't find the right seat adjustment?
I thought seat adjustment also, after the lack of head room.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I loved my '10 with the sunroof, but at 6'4, there wasn't any extra headroom at all for me. Lighting up the interior was great, along with cruising with an open top.

That said, when I ordered my SP, I sat in a non sunroof car, and did not order the roof. World of difference in headroom, and I'm really enjoying it.

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Just remember, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. I hate driving my R/T under 70, absolutely hate it. My '75 Charger, Tuna boat, loved tooling around in it, just loved it, and when you got the slow (17 second quarter mile) on the freeway with it's 2.73 gears it would hit 120 like it was nothing and still have more "go" in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take it from someone who has owned both manual and automatic (8 speed) Challengers with the active exhaust you experienced, the autos have much more drone at cruising speed. The manual is the better choice if you want to control your exhaust note.
Thank you for sharing your experience. This was my guess -- I'll have to revisit the issue.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'4" with size 13 shoes and have no issues under the dash with foot or knee clearance. Perhaps you didn't find the right seat adjustment?
Nope. The seat was adjusted to its lowest position, and the rake of the seatback was set at my preferred position. Was there space left for my head? Yes -- but not enough so that I did not brush the headliner (edge of the sunroof) on road bumps, let alone so that I could wear a helmet.

As for the footwell, I had no issue with the knees -- it was really the space for my feet at the end of the steering column, which was too little and thus made me brush against the plastic a few times. Here also, thank you for sharing your experience -- I'll have to revisit and see if this was an issue (for whatever reason) with this specific car.

B5 (...) Amazing color.
Yep!

Just remember, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. I hate driving my R/T under 70, absolutely hate it.
Agreed -- that's why I got the BRZ. I would not say that I hated driving the Chally under 70, only that it took a lot of self-control to do so :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take it from someone who has owned both manual and automatic (8 speed) Challengers with the active exhaust you experienced, the autos have much more drone at cruising speed. The manual is the better choice if you want to control your exhaust note.
B5 Blue is again available, so I went to test-drive a Chally today. Wanted to drive it on the roads where the car will be driven (unlike last time). The dealer had only one stick-shift, a base-model R/T, so that's what I asked for. Very, very boomy.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'4" with size 13 shoes and have no issues under the dash with foot or knee clearance. Perhaps you didn't find the right seat adjustment?
Thank you for this info. The knees were not the issue -- it was my right shoe rubbing/hitting the plastic above the pedals when hitting the brakes. I wore different shoes today and had no issue, so I am guessing the problem was there. Will re-test before ordering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My height is in my upper body more than my legs. When adjusting the seat to my liking, I barely clear the roof in the C-class coupe (which I also tested today -- the sales guy could not believe it but had to admit that was for real). The situation is a bit better in the Challenger with a sunroof, but not much better -- without the sunroof, there is plenty of space for me. Again, will have to re-test.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My height is in my upper body more than my legs. When adjusting the seat to my liking, I barely clear the roof in the C-class coupe (which I also tested today -- the sales guy could not believe it but had to admit that was for real). The situation is a bit better in the Challenger with a sunroof, but not much better -- without the sunroof, there is plenty of space for me. Again, will have to re-test.
Same here, long torso/short legs. I have the sunroof and barely have enough headroom at 6ft even. If I were able to do it over I'd skip the sunroof.

At a size 13 shoe I'd say footroom is definitely footwear dependent. Sneakers or dress shoes are fine, but any kind of boot forget about it.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
B5 Blue is again available, so I went to test-drive a Chally today. Wanted to drive it on the roads where the car will be driven (unlike last time). The dealer had only one stick-shift, a base-model R/T, so that's what I asked for. Very, very boomy.
Not sure what you're most interested but if you're concerned about drone, you better skip the 8 speed then if you thought the stick was loud. The autos are worse. Now, to be clear, I'm referring to drone and not exhaust volume.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I run my SP in Sport Mode all the time, so the MDS "drone" is not an issue.

That said, under a load, the A8 does get louder inside going up a grade, but at Interstate speeds, or any speed above 65mph, the loudness or drone isn't much. Cruising on a flat road, the cabin is actually pretty quiet. At lower speeds, it is louder, and I honestly can say that I sure wouldn't want it any louder.

Love the A8, and I would do it again in a heart beat, but under load and slower speeds, you'll hear the exhaust more.

Reactions: silver scat
1 - 13 of 13 Posts