Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it’s been about two weeks since I picked up my 15 Scat Pack M6. SP had 20,490 miles at time of purchase picked it up for 31,500 it is fully loaded with every option available. The SP is a beast, lots of low end torque and very comfortable. The car came lowered with which was done correctly and a resonator delete. I’ve currently added the Hell Cat lower ram air intake and JLT catch can. Been doing some research and not sure if it’s worth adding a blower SP is already a monster especially in sport mode. Now I am wondering if I did a smart move or f$&cked up lol. I traded my 07 GT500 with 25,000 miles on the clock. I made about 3,000 on the trade. The 07s of course are superchaged but stock for stock the SP N/A would take the older GT500s. I did at a CAI and a tune with catbacks to it and it’s put it just about 500 rwhp. Now when you compare what you get between both models both the SP and 07-09 GT500 have 4 piston brembos up front the SP has brembos in the rear the GT500 does not. Both come with the TR6060 transmission. The GT500 is supercharged the SP has the technology and comfort. The GT500 can be tuned up to 600 rwhp with a pulley and custom tune upgrade. The SP will pretty much need forged interanals to run a blower safely (or just buy a Hell Cat). I will tell you the GT500 does carry the Shelby name that is the only thing that makes it special but I don’t think they will have that much of a collector value since the new 2019 GT500 will be released. Also the GT500 is not a great daily or something you really want to take a trip in not the most comfortable clutch is stiff as hell ( also factory clutch sucks will last maybe 30,000 miles if you don’t race or ride it thats stretching it). The GT500s do require a lot of maintenance especially once they are tuned. Any way thought I would share and interested to hear some thoughts. Here are some photos of both.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Well it’s been about two weeks since I picked up my 15 Scat Pack M6. SP had 20,490 miles at time of purchase picked it up for 31,500 it is fully loaded with every option available. The SP is a beast, lots of low end torque and very comfortable. The car came lowered with which was done correctly and a resonator delete. I’ve currently added the Hell Cat lower ram air intake and JLT catch can. Been doing some research and not sure if it’s worth adding a blower SP is already a monster especially in sport mode. Now I am wondering if I did a smart move or f$&cked up lol. I traded my 07 GT500 with 25,000 miles on the clock. I made about 3,000 on the trade. The 07s of course are superchaged but stock for stock the SP N/A would take the older GT500s. I did at a CAI and a tune with catbacks to it and it’s put it just about 500 rwhp. Now when you compare what you get between both models both the SP and 07-09 GT500 have 4 piston brembos up front the SP has brembos in the rear the GT500 does not. Both come with the TR6060 transmission. The GT500 is supercharged the SP has the technology and comfort. The GT500 can be tuned up to 600 rwhp with a pulley and custom tune upgrade. The SP will pretty much need forged interanals to run a blower safely (or just buy a Hell Cat). I will tell you the GT500 does carry the Shelby name that is the only thing that makes it special but I don’t think they will have that much of a collector value since the new 2019 GT500 will be released. Also the GT500 is not a great daily or something you really want to take a trip in not the most comfortable clutch is stiff as hell ( also factory clutch sucks will last maybe 30,000 miles if you don’t race or ride it thats stretching it). The GT500s do require a lot of maintenance especially once they are tuned. Any way thought I would share and interested to hear some thoughts. Here are some photos of both.
I like Challengers and all but there is no way I would have made that swap (especially a used Challenger). I know it's only my opinion and it doesn't help your situation at all but a Shelby is, well, a Shelby...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Requirements drive solutions.

If you have a family and need a comfy 2 door muscle car, you've made the right move. If you drive occasionally and do track days alone, the GT500 is your huckleberry. You get the idea.

Nice car. You'll love it.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You did the right move 1000%

Mopar or No Car
I like Challengers and all but there is no way I would have made that swap (especially a used Challenger). I know it's only my opinion and it doesn't help your situation at all but a Shelby is, well, a Shelby...[/QUOTE]

If you have a family and need a comfy 2 door muscle car, you've made the right move. If you drive occasionally and do track days alone, the GT500 is your huckleberry. You get the idea.

Nice car. You'll love it.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the responses. Yes do have a family the SP is not a daily driver. The GT500 is a fun and fast car and yes it’s had the Shelby name that is it! The actual 13-14 GT500s are the ones that are being sought after. If I had a 12-14 GT500 no way in hell would I have made the trade. Used to me is always better depreciation has already taken the biggest hit I didn’t have to pay any BS dealer crap. I don’t race either. Don’t let any of the other GT500 owners bs you either most of them don’t drive them either and they are garage queens. Pretty much what mine was going to be. IMO used is sometimes better. And SP still has factory warranty. My apologies for the typing errors I’m on my phone and it’s putting in the weird numbers and signs.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Both are nice cars, really can't go wrong with either one. Sounds like you wanted to try something different and you made the swap, I wouldn't regret it, enjoy the Scat Pack, maybe one day you'll sell it and get into a 2012-2014 GT500 for a good deal. Nothing says you have to own it forever.

I agree with you on the performance aspect. I've beaten quite a few GT500's at the track. They aren't slow cars by any means, but they are all stick shifts, and with any stick shift, it comes down to the driver. Most drivers aren't all that great with a stick, so that puts them at a disadvantage. Then for some unknown reason, it seems like every GT500 I've seen at the track is always on the stock street tires, so they can't launch for crap.

I've got two little girls and they fit in the back seat no problem. I had car seats for years and now just have booster seats back there, much easier now. These cars are great, tons of power, great looks, comfortable to ride in, big back seat, usable trunk space, can't beat them!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I too had an 09 GT500. Bought it new back in 09. Paid sticker for it when they were hot. I had it for 2 years /16k miles and got just about what I paid for it on trade. A few points about the two cars. I currently have a 17 SP and I wouldnt want another manual - which the GT500 only is. The A8 is the game changer for autos and specifically for the challenger. It wouldnt have even been on my radar if it did not have this awesome auto. The manual challenger guys really are missing out.

Anyway, next is the cost of heat with the GT500's Eaton or HEATON blower we called it. Sure you can pulley it, but you are making that heat worse. My car would fall on its face once heat soak took hold. And for the challenger, that NA power is awesome. You can hot lap and not worry about anything. Buuuuut, you can swap out the blower on the GT500 for say a whipple that is way more efficient and make 650 at the wheels. So either way, you are going to spend money to make the big power.

But the deal breaker for me being an older guy now is the toys. 15 years ago it was ok and rather cool to have a stripped down race car/street car. Meaning no creature comforts. Base radio, base interior - nothing. The GT500 atleast had power seats and windows, but that was about it. The later versions had nav, but their recaros were manual seats and no heated or coolers in them at all. Forget about Nav or remote start or anything on the 07-09. I wont ever drive a fast car anymore if it doesnt have heated seats and all the bells and whistles.

I too miss my GT500, but the SCAT especially with the A8 is a complete upgrade. Yeah it needs some pistons and rods to make it ready for boost, but in the end you will have a badass muscle car with all the toys in it. Thats a perfect car for me.

One last note. My Scat does turn heads, but the GT500 pulled looks and started conversations like no other car I have ever seen. At car shows people would walk past lambos and ferraris to come to my car and talk to me about it. Getting gas was a hassle. It was 30seconds or less before someone walked up as I was pumping gas, to ask about it being a shelby. It was ridiculous. Im being serious. People all over would practically crash their cars looking at it in traffic on the street. I dont totally miss that. The attention was nice at times. But you made the right move. Now if you said you traded in a 13/14 GT500 for anything less than a HC, then I would be urging you to get back there and steal it back. Those are awesome.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

Been contemplating getting a '17 gt350r as a second toy what are your thoughts >:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too had an 09 GT500. Bought it new back in 09. Paid sticker for it when they were hot. I had it for 2 years /16k miles and got just about what I paid for it on trade. A few points about the two cars. I currently have a 17 SP and I wouldnt want another manual - which the GT500 only is. The A8 is the game changer for autos and specifically for the challenger. It wouldnt have even been on my radar if it did not have this awesome auto. The manual challenger guys really are missing out.

Anyway, next is the cost of heat with the GT500's Eaton or HEATON blower we called it. Sure you can pulley it, but you are making that heat worse. My car would fall on its face once heat soak took hold. And for the challenger, that NA power is awesome. You can hot lap and not worry about anything. Buuuuut, you can swap out the blower on the GT500 for say a whipple that is way more efficient and make 650 at the wheels. So either way, you are going to spend money to make the big power.

But the deal breaker for me being an older guy now is the toys. 15 years ago it was ok and rather cool to have a stripped down race car/street car. Meaning no creature comforts. Base radio, base interior - nothing. The GT500 atleast had power seats and windows, but that was about it. The later versions had nav, but their recaros were manual seats and no heated or coolers in them at all. Forget about Nav or remote start or anything on the 07-09. I wont ever drive a fast car anymore if it doesnt have heated seats and all the bells and whistles.

I too miss my GT500, but the SCAT especially with the A8 is a complete upgrade. Yeah it needs some pistons and rods to make it ready for boost, but in the end you will have a badass muscle car with all the toys in it. Thats a perfect car for me.

One last note. My Scat does turn heads, but the GT500 pulled looks and started conversations like no other car I have ever seen. At car shows people would walk past lambos and ferraris to come to my car and talk to me about it. Getting gas was a hassle. It was 30seconds or less before someone walked up as I was pumping gas, to ask about it being a shelby. It was ridiculous. Im being serious. People all over would practically crash their cars looking at it in traffic on the street. I dont totally miss that. The attention was nice at times. But you made the right move. Now if you said you traded in a 13/14 GT500 for anything less than a HC, then I would be urging you to get back there and steal it back. Those are awesome.
Amen sir. You did hit the nail on the head. They are attention getters. Superchargers require a lot of attention. I think a lot of people don’t realize what they are getting into if they get one other than what they see that is hauls ass which they do but there is more problems and maintenance with one. The only reason I stayed with the manual is enjoy manuals yes I’m sure the A8 is an awsome set up but I still like that connection with the car. Also there is no MDS on the manuals and they come with a 3.91 rear end pretty much the equivalent of the 3.73 on the Mustangs. On another note and I know it probably doesn’t matter much now or maybe in the future because half the kids now can’t drive a stick but if you try to find a manual Challenger they are pretty hard to come by. Out of the box the R/Ts, SP’s, HCs sounds good and resononstor or muffler delete and it sounds like a muscle car. Mustangs even the GT500s you automatically have to buy an exhaust to make it even sound half way decent. Anyway great points and great feedback. Thanks gentlemen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Been contemplating getting a '17 gt350r as a second toy what are your thoughts /forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
The GT350s are awsome I think and I think a lot of people don’t give it as much credit as it deserves. The S550 and GT350 were designed to be a road and track car not an old school muscle drag racer. I did own S550 before the GT500 and it was probably one of the best handling sports cars that I’ve owned. If you want to be a wheel man get the GT350 they come with the 5.2 vodoo not the 5.0. The only complaints I’ve heard within the GT350 is they don’t handle mods to well especially if you want to supercharge one they have a flat plank crank shaft that I understand is not strong enough for boost but they are 525 hp out of the box. I would buy used the dealer markup on new ones are still insane.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The GT350s are awsome I think and I think a lot of people don’t give it as much credit as it deserves. The S550 and GT350 were designed to be a road and track car not an old school muscle drag racer. I did own S550 before the GT500 and it was probably one of the best handling sports cars that I’ve owned. If you want to be a wheel man get the GT350 they come with the 5.2 vodoo not the 5.0. The only complaints I’ve heard within the GT350 is they don’t handle mods to well especially if you want to supercharge one they have a flat plank crank shaft that I understand is not strong enough for boost but they are 525 hp out of the box. I would buy used the dealer markup on new ones are still insane.
Yes absolutely agree on the prices, this '17 is just a few bucks cheaper then a widebody cat..I would have no interest in any engine modding, stock is fine...though, what would you recommend for a loud catback system I think these cars sound amazing stock and even better with exhaust and R trim to boot, and with not many R's out there (registry) I'm on the fence...I love mustangs as much as mopars so it's a hard decision

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes absolutely agree on the prices, this '17 is just a few bucks cheaper then a widebody cat..I would have no interest in any engine modding, stock is fine...though, what would you recommend for a loud catback system I think these cars sound amazing stock and even better with exhaust and R trim to boot, and with not many R's out there (registry) I'm on the fence...I love mustangs as much as mopars so it's a hard decision
The exhaust have the variable exhaust adjustment I wouldn’t change it. Let’s us know if you get it they are pretty cool I think.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Not necessarily an apples to apples comparison but I guess they are at least in the same basket. With that said a GT500, GT550 is a one of a kind car, the scat pack is not. Being that you almost have a 10 year model year difference the scat probably has some better amenities and I would also guess probably has the same if not better suspension parts than that GT500 had in that era. With that said I don't think I would have ever made the trade either. I can do down tomorrow and order a scat pack from 2-3 dealers, I cant necessarily do that with a GT500.

I bought my scat in 2015 and now almost wish I would have looked for a 12-13 GT500.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not necessarily an apples to apples comparison but I guess they are at least in the same basket. With that said a GT500, GT550 is a one of a kind car, the scat pack is not. Being that you almost have a 10 year model year difference the scat probably has some better amenities and I would also guess probably has the same if not better suspension parts than that GT500 had in that era. With that said I don't think I would have ever made the trade either. I can do down tomorrow and order a scat pack from 2-3 dealers, I cant necessarily do that with a GT500.

I bought my scat in 2015 and now almost wish I would have looked for a 12-13 GT500.
Yes sir you are correct too. Very different brackets I agree and yes the GT500 is rare but keep in mind like I said mine was an 07 as stated earlier if it were the 12-14 no way would I have swapped.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Yes sir you are correct too. Very different brackets I agree and yes the GT500 is rare but keep in mind like I said mine was an 07 as stated earlier if it were the 12-14 no way would I have swapped.
Yeah an 07 vs a 15-16 scat is pretty close probably at the end of the day. One still is a one off the other isn't.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts

Great post! I agree, the A8 is a total game changer, turns a 4100lb heavy car into an 11 second beast! My first Challenger was an M6 and I really enjoyed that car, but this A8 is way faster. I always liked the GT500's, they were just too expensive for my budget years ago. The Scat Pack is a lot of car for the money, hard to beat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts