Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting the Mopar CAI kit for my 2013 RT but before dropping four bills I wanted to get some input from anyone who has it on their vehicle without other mods. Mopar claims "noticeable performance gains" and they don't mention that in conjunction with other mods. What have you noticed? Or is it just cosmetic? Right now I'm running an AEM dry flow stock replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I have it, and the Mopar cat-back exhaust.
I never drove it without, had them installed before I took delivery.
But it sure seems to get up n go better than the one I test drove...

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I have it on my '12 SRT and can't really tell if it increased HP or torque. I installed mine shortly after buying the car. 15K miles later going strong. The only problem I had with the kit was the sealing gasket separated from the plastic channel that is installed over the air box. A fellow member hooked me up with a PT Cruiser cowl gasket that fit like a glove and was much better quality than the Mopar rubber trim.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Save your money...

Challenger intake/exhaust systems are very good. You will not see any gains. Anything you add won't work unless you add a performance tune. Get a tune (20-30 HP). Or get a blower. That is it. Aftermarket exhausts will make more noise. That is it. You can get gains with a CAM or intake MODs. You will still need the tune...or they won't work as the computer controls fuel flow.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I was thinking about getting the Mopar CAI kit for my 2013 RT but before dropping four bills I wanted to get some input from anyone who has it on their vehicle without other mods. Mopar claims "noticeable performance gains" and they don't mention that in conjunction with other mods. What have you noticed? Or is it just cosmetic? Right now I'm running an AEM dry flow stock replacement.
I have one one on my '12 SRT. My IAT temp reads about 6 degrees over ambient once you give it some gas and get air flow. My stock box ran 13 degrees warmer and took much longer to cool down but that was with the stock filter. Many have stated that a high flow filter helps. I removed the driver's side brake cooler tube so that helps while cruising. It sounds much better than the stock box.
Wow 4 bills? I made the dealer where I bought the car throw it in.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Use that money towards something that will make a difference you can feel, like a Mopar strut tower brace.

For 2011+ intakes the only ones that made significant power was the LMI True CAI. Otherwise I would stick with the stock airbox.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have the Mopar CAI on my 2013 RTC but I had it installed before I took delivery so I don't know what difference it makes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have one in my SRT but bought it more for looks and sound than any possible gains.
As someone already mentioned the stock box and exhaust are already very good. Is there
room for more gains? Possibly but I'd guess fairly minimal as a stand alone mod.
Also shop around, I paid around $325 for mine.

·
Registered
637 Posts
For the money your better off getting a charger style air duct so you dont have a resonator sitting on the radiator hose heat soaking and provides room for a catch can [you will want this], then a K&N stock replacement filter. Then get rid of the tube from the intake manifold [on the oil fill portion], replace it with a clamp in breather/filter and use a big vacume cap on the air box, no more hot engine air being drawn into your intake along with some oil [remember the catch can].

All this will run less than 90 bucks, looks stock and works just as good as most CAI kits.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the money your better off getting a charger style air duct so you dont have a resonator sitting on the radiator hose heat soaking and provides room for a catch can [you will want this], then a K&N stock replacement filter. Then get rid of the tube from the intake manifold [on the oil fill portion], replace it with a clamp in breather/filter and use a big vacume cap on the air box, no more hot engine air being drawn into your intake along with some oil [remember the catch can].

All this will run less than 90 bucks, looks stock and works just as good as most CAI kits.

Already have the Charger tube, catch can and an AEM dryflow filter. Also had this set up on the 2012 RT I used to have. I had the Mopar CAI on a 2010 RT and noticed a bit more power but took it off after only about a month on the car when I sold it. Of course that one does not fit the 2011 up so it sits here in a box.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
In a recent issue of MOPAR Muscle they tested several CAI systems from different venders and believe it or not, some of the cheapest systems were the ones that gave the highest HP gains. You can get a small increase from a cat back system as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts