Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I know the general consensus is that rentals are beat to death....nothing but endless burnouts, 0-60 sprints and top speed street races....but how much validity is there to that feeling? I can get a 2019 5.7 with about 10k miles with a significant amount of factory warranty remaining for under $30k. I have also seen 2016-2018 6.4s in the same ballpark. This is compared to 2015-2016 5.7s and 2010-2014 6.4s with more miles and little to no factory warranty remaining. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Bought my first Challenger, a 2012 RT, and it was a former rental. Even being a black car it was in excellent condition. Drove that thing for 5 years without a single issue, had 12k on it when I got it and traded it with 30K.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi guys. I know the general consensus is that rentals are beat to death....nothing but endless burnouts, 0-60 sprints and top speed street races....but how much validity is there to that feeling? I can get a 2019 5.7 with about 10k miles with a significant amount of factory warranty remaining for under $30k. I have also seen 2016-2018 6.4s in the same ballpark. This is compared to 2015-2016 5.7s and 2010-2014 6.4s with more miles and little to no factory warranty remaining. Thoughts?

That’s a lot of miles for a one year old car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s a lot of miles for a one year old car

It is and it isn't. On the one hand I think the average person puts about 15k miles per year on a car. On the other hand I also know that the 10k miles put on a rental vehicle are probably "hard miles".:frown:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought my first Challenger, a 2012 RT, and it was a former rental. Even being a black car it was in excellent condition. Drove that thing for 5 years without a single issue, had 12k on it when I got it and traded it with 30K.

Gary did you get beaten up by the dealer on trade-in value because the car had a rental history? I'm thinking that could be a big factor later on.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My first 5.7 liter Challenger I bought from a dealer in OH. It was used as a shuttle car for a Dodge event. Had 1300 miles on it. Car was immaculate outside and inside. Had it 3 years not a single problem. Car was pitch black and I got more compliments on it than I can remember. Absolutely fantastic car and that car has kept me in the Challenger family.

Reactions: Rg21044

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Gary did you get beaten up by the dealer on trade-in value because the car had a rental history? I'm thinking that could be a big factor later on.
Not at all. NADA trade in was $23K at the time and thats exactly what I got, rental history was never brought into the conversation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not at all. NADA trade in was $23K at the time and thats exactly what I got, rental history was never brought into the conversation.
That's good to know. Rentals that I'm looking at are almost all priced at a discount which I assumed had to do with rental history. I figured that would show up on the back end when I traded in a few years.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,640 Posts

No one can say what percentage of rental cars receive abuse.

For every one who posts of being an angel with rental cars (this includes me) you'll get a post by someone who brags of being a devil with rental cars.

However, I'd say the percentage of angels vs. devils is weighted towards the angels side. Most rental car customers just want a vehicle to drive for a while. They are not bad people, don't see this as an opportunity to beat on a car just for the sake of beating on a car. Bad enough to wreck one's own car but a rental car could be a double nightmare. There's paying to get the car fixed but there's also the rental income the rental company is out while the car is out of service.

And in my case while I don't need a rental car often, when I need one I need one, and the last thing I want is to be blacklisted from renting a car when I need one.

Ignoring a car has been a rental it is just a used car. Give the car a thorough used car checkout. If the car has been horribly abused there should be signs of this that you will notice as you check out the car. I'm thinking noisy/ticky engine, or signs of issues from the drive train.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I forget what magazine it was, but they would rent V8 cars and take them to the track. A few were returned with part of the stickers/ shoe polish left on them. Quite a few people got life bans from Hertz for it.

I would never buy a former rental, but that's me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I forget what magazine it was, but they would rent V8 cars and take them to the track. A few were returned with part of the stickers/ shoe polish left on them. Quite a few people got life bans from Hertz for it.

I would never buy a former rental, but that's me.

What do you mean by stickers and shoe polish?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Just a snipit from an article:

"Patterson shared that with the even with the added safeguards a decade ago, he received emails indicating the rental cars were being raced, and in some cases he got emails with timing slips:

“I had a guy who would send me emails every week from a new drag strip in a different Hertz rental car with shoe polish on the windshield and he would send me the time slips,” Patterson said.

“I knew he ran a 13.74 and that was cool for an ’06, for a car you go down to the rental car place and take.

“One day I got an email saying, ‘I won the All-Ford Nationals with a rental car,’ and he did. He really did. Hertz banned him for life and he will never be able to rent another car from Hertz.”

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have over the years purchased many a daily rental, no Challengers, however they always turned out great. The rental companies look after them, and it is an excellent opportunity to save a boat load of money. You save a tremendous amount of depreciation, as they rarely have more than 30K on them, just broken in basically. Some have lasted 10 years before trading in, with good maintenance practices. Most where Dodge. A couple where not daily rentals , but gently used, never-the-less used. You should be able to see how they are when you test drive them, check the oil, some you can get maintenance records to see how they where treated.

·
Registered
2018 RT Plus
60 Posts
I bought a Certified Preowned 2018 RT Plus that was a rental in January with 9500 miles and it is in excellent condition in every way. CPO's come with the remainder of the 3 year basic (26 months left) plus an additional 3 month Maximum Care and 7 year/100k powertrain warranty. Saved 10k over new.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Hi
Bought my 2016 RT plus in august 2018. It was a rental with 18000 km and in perfect condition in and out. It is one of only 15 identical vehicles, all of which were sold to the same rental company. No issues so far. Has 32000 km now (winter stored).

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just an observation: rentals are usually the base model and that's why the price may seem good. I'd be sure about knowing what features are available and having a clear idea of what you want the car to have.

Also no one has mentioned it yet but coming from a history of Vettes which handle and accelerate well to a car that is heavy and designed for straight line performance may leave you a bit wanting unless you're ready for a change...?

Have you driven a Scat Pack or SRT?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts