Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my Road Course Sat and had a lot of fun other than running of the road and doing some damage to front but my question is my 2019 Widebody Challenger Scat pack is the brakes, I have the six piston Brendo brakes but now after heavy use on the track my brakes feel spongy any thoughts on what to do, thanks
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
Very likely you got the brakes hot enough to boil the fluid, and now it needs to be replaced. Not a huge deal, but you’ll obviously want to use the proper fluid (DOT 4?) and bleed all four corners to get all the old stuff out.

You should probably plan on doing this after every track session. Not that you’ll boil the fluid every time and experience this, but it is recommended by some in the know to replace the brake fluid after any track sessions to avoid any issues that session might cause later with the fluid.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Check your pads.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
606 Posts
It's a heavy car putting it a lot of heat into the brake system. Bleed the brakes until the fluid is like new. Did you upgrade to a racing fluid with higher boiling points? Checking for cracks in the rotors and pad wear would be prudent too.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Stainless Steel hoses?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information I have a appointment to flush the brake fluid Thursday, brake pads look ok

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
606 Posts
DOT4 or better yet DOT 5.1.
Why DOT 5.1? I mean the minimum standards to be called 5.1 are higher than DOT 4, but most high end DOT 4 brake fluids (Motul, Castrol, Wilwood, StopTech, ATE, et cetera) exceed 5.1 dry and wet boiling points. Good DOT4 is usually more readily available and 1/3 cheaper as well.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
Reactions: DGatzby

·
Registered
193 Posts
DOT5.1 is available pretty much every where Dot4 is over here in Britain - I've been using it for over a decade. I was quite surprised to see Dot4 recommended in the Challenger hand book as its an older spec. I don't tend to drive the Challenger as hard as I would my Lancia as it simply doesn't hold the road as well (and over here, there's less road to hold too :) ), so not exactly pushing the limits of the fluid with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts