Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my options.
First I am looking for 500 rwhp. Don’t need to go for any records here

1. Custom cam with kooks LTH and green cats. Dyno tuned by a very reputable shop in NC.

2. Heads ported and valves worked. Then same as above.

3. Same as 2 and add 426 or 448 stroke to it.

I think option 1 will get me there and leave options for the future. Option 3 and I think I would be done building the engine.

Please chime in with experience with similar builds if you can

Thank you

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh. Also any experince to prove whether the port of the heads is worth it or not would be helpful.

I guess it would also be helpful to know I have a 17 Scatpack 6m.

Only engine mods so far are Hellcat air box, filter and tube. Mid muffler delete.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump for some help

·
Registered
80 Posts
So. Do you know what your horsepower is now? I would think you need that . Next. Is this a daily driver or just a Sunday car. I would think some smaller mods and maybe a nice spray of nitrous would get you there if you wanted it for a short period of time. Usually chasing a number doesn't stop. You hit 500 and realize how close you are to 550 and then 600. Do you have deep pockets or is this going on a budget? Let's talk out the pro and cons of the mods and the guesstimates on the gains each will give you

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good questions.

I don’t want to go crazy money wise. I added $29k in mods to a Slingshot in a year and a half just to trade it in on the Scat.

I would like to stay <$10k for engine work. So that pretty much limits me to choice 1 or 2 above. Choice 3 was a stretch if I just wanted to do all at once and call it complete.

This car won’t typically be driven daily. I have another car I drive to work.
With that said I want to maintain drive ability.
It won’t see a track.

I figure I should be around 420ish rwhp with the 6m right now.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Why not get a Mopar Performance 426 Hemi Crate Motor.. Gen III not Gen II, I don't think the real Hemi would be an easy swap. Nevermind, the Crate motor was around 13k last time I checked.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The hell cat blocks used to be cheap. I see dodge has raised the price dramatically . Sucks
I would call someone like hhp find out how much a na motor they then or a2 speed they use ray Barton
Or Arrington now in Michigan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think first order of business would have to be a tuner like diablo i3 or trinity. There is probably an easy 15 to 20 horsepower gain right there. I would believe and most would agree that any changes beget more changes. Changing cam will probably require more fuel so different injectors and more fuel requires more air so different throttle body. And away we go I would think contacting a reasonable engine shop that specializes in mopar hemis would be able to lay out a proven map for you and remove all the trial and error you might encounter. I ask the question why the need for 500. Is 420 not enough power? Do you plan on street racing or is it just something you would like? I have a friend with a Shelby mustang that has modded the sh.t out of the car chasing 800 hp . He will not race it( fear of blowing something up) and now his wife hates it. If he sells his car I can't imagine how much he money he will have lost as many will say he destroyed a low mileage Shelby. I am not throwing shade on your choices but I guess I am asking more for your reasons for this undertaking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so the build is on. Car goes in Friday and will return on 1/22/2018.

Cam, Heads P&P, Kooks LTH and hi flo cats, dyno tuned and ready for fun.

Can’t wait to get this car back.

Hoping for +70 rwhp and much more total power under the curve.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
124 Posts
Awesome! I just got into a 2018 SP 6M but the bug hasn’t bitten yet, so keeping to stock power levels for now. I would be curious what the top end build would net without touching the exhaust.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pre build Dyno......

Here is my pre build dyno.

Hellcat lower airbox and intake tube.
Flowmaster 40 series in mid with stock resonators.

Should be getting the car back either tomorrow or Monday.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Build in progress. Head port and polish, cam, Kooks LTH with hi flo cats with dyno tune.
Sways and rear strut brace for handling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts