Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2018 Challenger TA 392. It has less than a 1000 miles on it - basically like new.

I live in the upper midwest and was wondering if rust is a significant problem on these cars and if it was worth it to have the car treated by Ziebart or something similar.

Had a 2005 bonneville GXP that had been rustproofed by the dealer and it never showed any rust.

Any thoughts on if it's a good idea or what is the best product/service to go with would be appreciated - thank you!

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
376 Posts
Hi,

I just ordered a 2020, and getting it done, as covers the body rot for a additional 5 years above the mfg warranty. Considering I'll be paying for it for 7 years seemed like a good idea, as I know the earlier body style had rust issues. Think it was a 500 buck so for the price, a little insurance it will still look nice when I pay it off.

I live in Michigan, don't plan on driving it in the winter months but will be spring to fall. If you have high humidity it might be a good idea as new cars rot from the inside out, as the auto companies did away with e-coating the body panels before welding so once the pinch welds on the body coatings (e-coating/paint) get cracked moisture starts the rot.

Regards,
Jim

Reactions: cssorkinman

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I just ordered a 2020, and getting it done, as covers the body rot for a additional 5 years above the mfg warranty. Considering I'll be paying for it for 7 years seemed like a good idea, as I know the earlier body style had rust issues. Think it was a 500 buck so for the price, a little insurance it will still look nice when I pay it off.

I live in Michigan, don't plan on driving it in the winter months but will be spring to fall. If you have high humidity it might be a good idea as new cars rot from the inside out, as the auto companies did away with e-coating the body panels before welding so once the pinch welds on the body coatings (e-coating/paint) get cracked moisture starts the rot.

Regards,
Jim
Appreciate the reply .

If you'd give an update on what you have done and how happy you were with the service that would be awesome!

Enjoy the new car!!

( also those old buicks are fun - a friend's grandfather had a 64 skylark convertible he'd let him drive occasionally - we had a great time with it).

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
376 Posts
Appreciate the reply .

If you'd give an update on what you have done and how happy you were with the service that would be awesome!

Enjoy the new car!!

( also those old buicks are fun - a friend's grandfather had a 64 skylark convertible he'd let him drive occasionally - we had a great time with it).
Hi,

I'll update when I get it, still hanging in the preproduction phase last I heard, Monday even though the tentative eta when I got the vin was the 28th.

Yeah the old Buicks are fun, all of mine are sticks or soon to be, more pedals more fun, lol. One in my signature is a 2 door post on a 65 Gran Sport frame and drivetrain, fun not as fast as a Scat Pack, but is a good time machine.

Regards,
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
The steel is double side galvanized, with ecoat. You should have an outer body rust thru as part of your warranty.

I also remember years back that them Zeibart treatments can coat over brackets, bolts, fasteners, wiring bundles and fuel lines, making them a ***** to work on, or replace if needed, and can trap water if the coating cracks.

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
The rockers and lower door jambs and quarters are all full of foam so unless that stuff can get thru that mess of foam it's still gonna rust.

Search the forum, many threads on this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey, be sure anyone offering you a rust proofing warrantee knows your car is not brand new off the lot. Some have had the rust proof warrantee declined because the vehicle was not rust proofed immediately after purchase. Also, with KROWN you must reapply yearly or the rust warrantees is void, and I suspect that is standard.

Lastly, when they rustproof, be careful the treatment does not “melt” the door rubber seals - or you will hear a lot of whistling while you drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts