Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a red 1970 Challenger convertible from a local scrap yard. The odometer shows 79,000 miles on the car.

The body is straight with no dents or anything, and it looks like it still has its original factory paint. It's an Arizona car so of course the paint is faded, but it's actually not nearly as bad as one would think for having been sitting out in the Arizona sun for god only knows how long.

However, the interior is a different story. The convertible top is completely ripped, there are no seats and there seems to be quite a bit of rust in the floor.

When I popped the hood for the first time I got excited because it had a 440 in it (not even close to being in working condition though), but unfortunately after looking up the VIN number I found out that it originally came with a 2.5L 6 CYL engine. So upon finding that out I had mixed feelings, because obviously it was a bit of a disappointment because the original engine is gone, but after looking up the production numbers I found out there were only 378 Challenger convertibles produced with a 6 CYL engine that year, which is a pretty damn low number. So at least that's pretty cool to know.

I know it will be very hard to fix this thing up, and it will definitely take a lot of time and money, but I think I'm up for the challenge (no pun intended). I'm in no hurry, so I'm thinking of taking it little by little and just seeing how it goes from there.

So my main question is, does anyone here have any sort of estimate on what this car could be worth in its current condition?

And also, what could this car potentially be worth if it ever does get completely restored one day?

Thanks for reading my story and I will greatly appreciate any and all help guys!

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Based on your description, easily $50,000.00 to do a resto-mod on it and probably more.

Its not numbers matching, so the big buck value is already gone, plus it was a 6cyl.

Body off rotisserie, then modern suspension, ignition, fuel injection, transmission, steering, brakes, and so on.

I'd look for a totaled modern Challenger to use as a doner car.....come to think of it, my estimate is probably low....closer to $75,000.00 by the time you're finished, depending on how much labor you can do yourself.

The 440 may still be servicable, you'll have to pull it and tear it down. If it doesnt have a hole in the side with a rod sticking out of it, or locked up tighter than a drum, it can be refreshed.

I know a guy who works at a place not 10 miles away from me....you may have seen the place on TV......Restoration Garage. :) They have an entire back room full of partially finished projects because the owner ran out of money :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would save that car.. Put the / back in it and enjoy it. People now a days yank the leaning tower of power out for a v8 that does nothing for the car. What is more rare? A convertible Challenger driving around with a / or one with a V8?

Save that car...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Based on your description, easily $50,000.00 to do a resto-mod on it and probably more.

Its not numbers matching, so the big buck value is already gone, plus it was a 6cyl.

Body off rotisserie, then modern suspension, ignition, fuel injection, transmission, steering, brakes, and so on.

I'd look for a totaled modern Challenger to use as a doner car.....come to think of it, my estimate is probably low....closer to $75,000.00 by the time you're finished, depending on how much labor you can do yourself.

The 440 may still be servicable, you'll have to pull it and tear it down. If it doesnt have a hole in the side with a rod sticking out of it, or locked up tighter than a drum, it can be refreshed.

I know a guy who works at a place not 10 miles away from me....you may have seen the place on TV......Restoration Garage. :) They have an entire back room full of partially finished projects because the owner ran out of money :)
Didn't gas monkey garage do just that? Except they used a mint 70-something scat pack and a brand new scat pack. They still dumped a TON of time and money into it, then sold it for $150k IIRC.

·
Registered
930 Posts
When I popped the hood for the first time I got excited because it had a 440 in it (not even close to being in working condition though), but unfortunately after looking up the VIN number I found out that it originally came with a 2.5L 6 CYL engine.
You mean 225 CID slant-6 (3.7L). A pretty rare combination and getting rarer, since probably 95% of people interested in a Challenger would pull it in favor of a big-block or modern Hemi drivetrain.

As a slanty car, it has a certain value to purists. The fact that the numbers-matching engine is long gone is a strike against it... but really ANY convertible Challenger shell has a good bit of value. Without seeing the car, it would be almost impossible to guesstimate resto cost. If you do a lot of the work yourself and the car is reasonably solid and straight to start with, you could have a good, basic, non-concours weekend driver for probably $20-30k put into it, including rebuilding the 440 that's there, and you could sell it for about... 20-30k when you're done. Break even. If it needs more work or you outsoruce it all, you'll be upside-down financially, but then that's how we ALL are with our modern Challengers, when you get right down to it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Didn't gas monkey garage do just that? Except they used a mint 70-something scat pack and a brand new scat pack. They still dumped a TON of time and money into it, then sold it for $150k IIRC.
Ass Monkey took a T/A Challenger and ruined it.. As normal for these idiots... I hope the IRS is watching these shows so they can check on these " High Dollar Sold Cars" and see if it is legit... which I have my doubts about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just recently purchased a red 1970 Challenger convertible from a local scrap yard. The odometer shows 79,000 miles on the car.

The body is straight with no dents or anything, and it looks like it still has its original factory paint. It's an Arizona car so of course the paint is faded, but it's actually not nearly as bad as one would think for having been sitting out in the Arizona sun for god only knows how long.

However, the interior is a different story. The convertible top is completely ripped, there are no seats and there seems to be quite a bit of rust in the floor.

When I popped the hood for the first time I got excited because it had a 440 in it (not even close to being in working condition though), but unfortunately after looking up the VIN number I found out that it originally came with a 2.5L 6 CYL engine. So upon finding that out I had mixed feelings, because obviously it was a bit of a disappointment because the original engine is gone, but after looking up the production numbers I found out there were only 378 Challenger convertibles produced with a 6 CYL engine that year, which is a pretty damn low number. So at least that's pretty cool to know.

I know it will be very hard to fix this thing up, and it will definitely take a lot of time and money, but I think I'm up for the challenge (no pun intended). I'm in no hurry, so I'm thinking of taking it little by little and just seeing how it goes from there.

So my main question is, does anyone here have any sort of estimate on what this car could be worth in its current condition?

And also, what could this car potentially be worth if it ever does get completely restored one day?

Thanks for reading my story and I will greatly appreciate any and all help guys!

You may want to check out this site:
Classic Car Values & Specs - NADAguides
It's a good rough guide. The regional market could change the value, but it's a good "ball park" idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ass Monkey took a T/A Challenger and ruined it.. As normal for these idiots... I hope the IRS is watching these shows so they can check on these " High Dollar Sold Cars" and see if it is legit... which I have my doubts about.
It was pretty painful to watch them cut the trans tunnel with that spotless Sublime paint on the underside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a friend with a 1970 Challenger convertible, red exterior, red leather interior, black top, 383 cu. in, 4 barrel, slap stick tranny. It's firewall is rusted, don't know how many miles, wondering how rare it is and values TOO???

·
Registered
639 Posts
You mean 225 CID slant-6 (3.7L). A pretty rare combination and getting rarer, since probably 95% of people interested in a Challenger would pull it in favor of a big-block or modern Hemi drivetrain.

As a slanty car, it has a certain value to purists. The fact that the numbers-matching engine is long gone is a strike against it... but really ANY convertible Challenger shell has a good bit of value. Without seeing the car, it would be almost impossible to guesstimate resto cost. If you do a lot of the work yourself and the car is reasonably solid and straight to start with, you could have a good, basic, non-concours weekend driver for probably $20-30k put into it, including rebuilding the 440 that's there, and you could sell it for about... 20-30k when you're done. Break even. If it needs more work or you outsoruce it all, you'll be upside-down financially, but then that's how we ALL are with our modern Challengers, when you get right down to it.
Depends on how far you take the resto. But this is a good assessment. I rebuilt a 70 A66 numbers match four speed car and ended up with 17,500 in it. That was after some frame work, engine and tranny rebuild, new quarters, and a completely new interior, and paint job. I did about 50% of the work myself which helped.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Don't mater how the car came from the Factory. Clone cars still go for some serious bread.
Make it your way or restore it original.

But Save it.

If you cant do the work than sell it to some one who can or has the resources.

You came across a car in a way most Car lovers dream of finding.

Good luck
Life's too short. Enjoy the Ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts