Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Vendor
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who doubt the necessity for a catch can, here is a comparison between a stock throttle body with and without a catch can. The miles are not exactly the same, but close. We happen to have swapped out stock throttle bodies for BBK ones and found this interesting.

62k vs. 50k miles
No Catch Can vs. Catch Can

Notice a difference? :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Amen!, Brother

I have one on my 2012 SRT8 and I am pleased to say that there is a small amount of oil in the bottom of my CC after 1000 miles - oil that did not pollute or foul my TB

My 2010 Camaro SS on the other hand, is a different story; I seem to have a problem with the Valley Cover/PCV Baffle that may be plugged; I'm still fighting with GM for a Warranty fix. THIS IS NOT a normal problem with GM products, but it does show what can happen - any manufactured item is subject to improper build/assembly.

Gaze on the photo below and be amazed!
Behold! 40oz of oil, collected by the Catch Can, that DIDN'T recirculate into the TB, Intake Manifold or Combustion Chamber:

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
This was in the belly pan of my intake during a recent bit of work on the engine. I had put on a catch can at about 6k miles. It has 15k now. I wonder what it would have looked like with no catch can for the whole 15k.

·
Registered
896 Posts
My goodness. Maybe I should consider a catch can after all.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Just a reminder for those that want to see the benefits of installing one of our catch cans. Cleanliness is...well....you know the rest :)

1,931 Posts
First mod I put on my 2013.....installed it the night I brought the car home....I have about 1200 miles on it now and the can has caught about 2oz of oil that would have went into my intake..

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Another Throttle Body removed on a catch canless Hemi....

SRT8U,

Thanks for the very revealing pictures. I've been "on the fence" regarding this whole catch can thing since shortly after purchasing my R/T last year.

Thanks to you, I AM FINALLY CONVINCED. Thank Goodness, I hardly drove my R/T at all after purchase due to other out of town committments, so..........as it only has 920 miles on it, and is currently in storage, so I doubt that much, if any, oil has made its way into the engine.

I'll be calling you folks (Speedlogix) in a couple of weeks for a catch can. Am hoping you carry the Moroso or a variant with a valve-drain system.

Thanks again for the heads up !!

Respecfully,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
SRT8U,

Thanks for the very revealing pictures. I've been "on the fence" regarding this whole catch can thing since shortly after purchasing my R/T last year.

Thanks to you, I AM FINALLY CONVINCED. Thank Goodness, I hardly drove my R/T at all after purchase due to other out of town committments, so..........as it only has 920 miles on it, and is currently in storage, so I doubt that much, if any, oil has made its way into the engine.

I'll be calling you folks (Speedlogix) in a couple of weeks for a catch can. Am hoping you carry the Moroso or a variant with a valve-drain system.

Thanks again for the heads up !!

Respecfully,

Gary aka "beamg5"
Thanks, let us know when you are ready

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
For those on the fence about adding a catch can to their Challenger, take a look at the pic at the top of this thread. I'd say it's a "no-brainer"!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whats up man i know this is a old thread but can i get a link for a catch can for my hellcat? Btw will you guys be making a catless downpipe for the hellcat? Thanks
For those who doubt the necessity for a catch can, here is a comparison between a stock throttle body with and without a catch can. The miles are not exactly the same, but close. We happen to have swapped out stock throttle bodies for BBK ones and found this interesting.

62k vs. 50k miles

No Catch Can vs. Catch Can

Notice a difference? :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yikes, that throttle body without the catch can is a sight for sore eyes! Always one of my first mods, not only does it serve a purpose but it adds a nice touch to the engine bay.

- Alexis.
I have read several responses that ask " Why do you have your catch can listed under your performance mods? My response will always be, while it doesn't "add" horsepower per say it definitely prevents future loss of power. I will be installing my Edelbrock Supercharger during the weekend of October 17 and the first step was to plan the retention of my catch can. Thank you for the pics.

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
I have read several responses that ask " Why do you have your catch can listed under your performance mods? My response will always be, while it doesn't "add" horsepower per say it definitely prevents future loss of power. I will be installing my Edelbrock Supercharger during the weekend of October 17 and the first step was to plan the retention of my catch can. Thank you for the pics.

That's a great response. It's a great mod, it really makes a difference in the long run!

- Alexis.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts