Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on painting the Air intake cover today, took some pictures of the throttle body

Not bad, clean gas :D

A Guy

Reactions: mjb4450

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
I've seen videos of people cleaning their throttle bodies, and they are DIRTY.

Mine looks like yours. I'll pull it off at 40K miles, just for kicks, but I don't expect to see much if anything. I use top tier gas like you, so around here that's either EXxon or Shell.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not trying to start a war, but unless you have n2o/fuel injected before the TB fuel does not get anywhere near the TB, so what is your point.

Looks to me like your air filter is doing a good job.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Not trying to start a war, but unless you have n2o/fuel injected before the TB fuel does not get anywhere near the TB, so what is your point.

Had to clean the throttle body on my 180k mile mazda mpv once.

That was absolutely filthy.

I've seen it a couple of times in the adjacent town, still running.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I was wondering if it was a mistake not to put a catch can on my 3.6 Challenger. But that's nice and clean. I happened to take a close look at my 5.7 Ram with 38k miles on it. I did not put a CC on that one either. Absolutely filthy. I'm waiting for some sub 100 degree weather here to pull that off and clean.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Nothing to do with the air filter. PCV vapors swirl around and cake on the back and sides of the TB as well as form a puddle of oil in the intake manifold. GM with their direct injection engines actually stress the use of top tier gas and their own oil specification. They believe it will cut down on deposits on valves and intakes. My opinion is that on a port injection engine a catch can is not required if you use top tier gas, fuel system cleaner and clean the TB every once in a while. On a DI engine, if I ever get one again, I will definitely have a catch can. Stupid fast buildup of carbon on valves with DI engines.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that you mention it, it is just air that goes in there. I was thinking of people cleaning their throttle bodies.

A Guy

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nothing to do with the air filter. PCV vapors swirl around and cake on the back and sides of the TB as well as form a puddle of oil in the intake manifold. GM with their direct injection engines actually stress the use of top tier gas and their own oil specification. They believe it will cut down on deposits on valves and intakes. My opinion is that on a port injection engine a catch can is not required if you use top tier gas, fuel system cleaner and clean the TB every once in a while. On a DI engine, if I ever get one again, I will definitely have a catch can. Stupid fast buildup of carbon on valves with DI engines.
While what you said about about the PVC vapor is correct, (unless you don't route them into the intake) how does fuel quality affect that?

The OP commented "Not bad, clean gas :D" was the reason the TB was so clean, nothing about a catch can. That is a different subject. FWIW, I also use Tier 1 fuel, but I don't see how it can help clean the TB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts