Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at a new throttle body and want to get a 85mm or 90mm which one should i get and whose the best vendor to buy from? what is the gains im looking at?

thanks

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
shopHemi.com, speedlogixstore.com, pwrparts.com are the first couple of vendors that come to mind.

There are a few Tbodys available. 85mm ported, 87mm ported, 90mm, 100mm (if you can find it). By itself, the throttle body won't do you much in gains unless you have a cam or stroker to benefit from the less restrictive airflow.

If you're running stock and mildly modified (intake/exhaust/tune), an 85mm or 87mm ported will do you nicely.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i have a magnaflow cat back, CAI, stock tune planned on tuning after i got the throttle body. and what is a stroker?

thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Installing a simple Cold Air Intake will usually increase the air flow. Your O2 sensors will detect that lean condition and increase the pulse width to the fuel injectors to compensate. Going to a larger throttle body my give you a lean condition as your fuel injectors may not have enough fuel capacity to overcome that. That could actually make your engine run poorer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Installing a simple Cold Air Intake will usually increase the air flow. Your O2 sensors will detect that lean condition and increase the pulse width to the fuel injectors to compensate. Going to a larger throttle body my give you a lean condition as your fuel injectors may not have enough fuel capacity to overcome that. That could actually make your engine run poorer.
So... I was thinking the same thing as far as a bigger TB but I too have a CAI already installed so would I see more/better gains spending the money on a tuner?

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
thanks i have a magnaflow cat back, CAI, stock tune planned on tuning after i got the throttle body. and what is a stroker?

thanks
A stroker is a motor which has had the stroke (and possibly bore) increased. This creates more displacement = more power.

So... I was thinking the same thing as far as a bigger TB but I too have a CAI already installed so would I see more/better gains spending the money on a tuner?
I would really advise against spending money on a TB unless you have a much bigger build than this.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I would really advise against spending money on a TB unless you have a much bigger build than this.
why? do you have real world experience with putting bigger tbs on a stock motor? give details man. not just empty statements that leave us wondering

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
After reading the PWR thread on the 100mm (actually 93mm) TB, it seems (based on dyno results), a larger TB produces more power... period. It's not gobs of power, but it is a gain, and if you're going to get a TB, the bigger the better. You'll see gains on a stock motor, and the gains get bigger the more you mod the engine such as porting the intake manifold. Do a search for the PWR thread on TBs...

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
IYour O2 sensors will detect that lean condition and increase the pulse width to the fuel injectors to compensate. Going to a larger throttle body my give you a lean condition as your fuel injectors may not have enough fuel capacity to overcome that.
No sir, This is not the case. You are getting these platforms confused with MAF Cars.

These cars will not add fuel on their own,One would have to physically go into the tune and add the needed fuel. This is the reason why folks should only run wet N20 systems on these platforms..

·
Registered
98 Posts
After reading the PWR thread on the 100mm (actually 93mm) TB, it seems (based on dyno results), a larger TB produces more power... period. It's not gobs of power, but it is a gain, and if you're going to get a TB, the bigger the better. You'll see gains on a stock motor, and the gains get bigger the more you mod the engine such as porting the intake manifold. Do a search for the PWR thread on TBs...
There are no gains! Do a search on multiple forums and youll see the contrary to what you stated, or by all means do the calculations. The stock TB flows 900 CFM, which is plenty for 99.9% applications. Hell, I made 1200hp on the stocker and havent seen a choke point yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No sir, This is not the case. You are getting these platforms confused with MAF Cars.

These cars will not add fuel on their own,One would have to physically go into the tune and add the needed fuel. This is the reason why folks should only run wet N20 systems on these platforms..
I thought MAP and MAF injection systems both use O2 sensors for A/F correction?

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
why? do you have real world experience with putting bigger tbs on a stock motor? give details man. not just empty statements that leave us wondering
I have an 85mm tb. Even the people that sell them will tell you 10hp is probably your best base. For a few hundred bucks it's not worth it. You need other mods to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There are no gains! Do a search on multiple forums and youll see the contrary to what you stated, or by all means do the calculations. The stock TB flows 900 CFM, which is plenty for 99.9% applications. Hell, I made 1200hp on the stocker and havent seen a choke point yet.
Yes, but you have twin turbos pushing air in... this is nowhere close to an NA motor pulling air in.. completely different

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I have an 85mm tb. Even the people that sell them will tell you 10hp is probably your best base. For a few hundred bucks it's not worth it. You need other mods to make it worthwhile.
like long tube headers??? or do you need a ported intake and heads as well?

Yes, but you have twin turbos pushing air in... this is nowhere close to an NA motor pulling air in.. completely different
very true. when you push air through versus suck air in, the tb size makes a difference

·
Registered
98 Posts
Either way, its a waste of money. I dont know what you guys dont understand about 900 CFM to keep recommending bigger throttle bodies for anything under 440ci. If anyone is seeing gains (lets see the gains on a loaded dyno btw), then I really question the way the tests were conducted, ie heat soaked, different weather, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
like long tube headers??? or do you need a ported intake and heads as well?
The TB is just going to allow more air IN, so LTs are not really something which would come into play as they're on the exhaust side. For this to be an important mod you probably would be running a stroker and blower.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have a 85mm Arrington never putchanged my mind in willing to part with for 450 shipped

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
A while back PWRAndy posted a thread comparing 85mm vs 90mm vs 100mm and showed the dyno gains. Thing, though, was it was on a heads/cammed charger. The thread is pretty old and the dyno graphs don't show up anymore.

I'd stick with laker's suggestion; it's not a good bang for your buck mod for a slightly modified Challenger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts