Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this info noted below about throttle calibration. I have done this but don't want to tell the results. I'd like to see what other SE owners who do this think. Post your results!

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression. Throttle calibration can take care of these.
1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.
Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming. You likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
done it before...no noticeable performance difference...some folks swear by it though

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's my belief that the above description is spot on.

While I'll agree that there's no " Performance " gain [ per say ].
It's the responsiveness of the throttle after the calibration that makes it worth doing.

That " dead space " was the first thing I noticed about the car and since the calibration, I've never looked back.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I've done the calibration multiple times, but I can't say I've noticed any difference.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not exactly the way I calibrated the throttle in my 2010 SE..but similiar.

made a huge difference in my car..Went from mashing the pedal and waiting for the car to go..to mashing the pedal and the car moving out like it's supposed to. Didn't make any difference on power..just greatly reduced the lag-time.

Has been a month or two since I did the throttle recalibration..and I have not needed to repeat it. Really does make a bigtime noticable difference in perceived power. My wife was about scared to try pass on a two lane road because of the lag in acceleration...she loves it now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My car is a 2010 SE...bought with just under 14,000 miles on it..an ex-Enterprise rentaride.

Runs and ran fine...just had a lot of throttle lag like stated..mash the pedal...and wait for the thing to decide to open up.

I dug around online..and found a topic on another 'Challenger forum' regarding the issue..and giving the following throttle calibration procedure....turn the key switch on and after the bells and whistles go off..turn off the esp..quickly mash the throttle to the floor..and release letting the pedal fly back up...shut off key start and drive.

I had to try it about twice before I got it right..but it really helped on the lag.

Did a throttle recal not help your SE??

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
My car is a 2010 SE...bought with just under 14,000 miles on it..an ex-Enterprise rentaride.

Runs and ran fine...just had a lot of throttle lag like stated..mash the pedal...and wait for the thing to decide to open up.

I dug around online..and found a topic on another 'Challenger forum' regarding the issue..and giving the following throttle calibration procedure....turn the key switch on and after the bells and whistles go off..turn off the esp..quickly mash the throttle to the floor..and release letting the pedal fly back up...shut off key start and drive.

I had to try it about twice before I got it right..but it really helped on the lag.

Did a throttle recal not help your SE??
:scratchhead: weird. never heard of that before.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Z71,
Thanks for the info. I did the throttle calibration I mentioned at the start of the post and I noticed a difference. However, my SE is still a bit sluggish but probably just because it is a V6 with a heavy car. But some improvement is better than no improvement. I felt it the calibration helped on the low end.

Rob

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got the 11 3.6l anyone know how to recalibrate this one?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
check the MYTHS thread. dodge engineers have said there is no such calibration.
take this for nothing if you choose. FYI

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is what i figured. Does diablo have a tuner for the 11 yet?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmmm...don't think it's a mythical process or event.

Mostly because it made a noticable difference in my car. I noticed it..my wife noticed it without being told I did anything to the car.

Another good reason to believe in throttle calibration....the can-bus system...John Deere uses it. I'm a trained JD tech..when you replace sensors or potentiometers on combines and tractors you have to calibrate them to the on-board ecu's..the potentiometers get something similiar to the 'mythical' throttle calibration....put the machine in calibrate mode and fully cycle the pots.

My best guess's as to why a Chrysler engineer hasn't heard of the procedure...is just a WAG or two..either he didn't feel like divulging any company info..he wasn't involved in that part of the project(he might have designed the lug-nuts)..or Challenger project at all...not letting info loose because calibration is for the dealership techs to do..like the oil changes and all the other calibrations.

Could be nobody ever asked a Chrysler engineer..and just pulled the myth part from his prosterior..who knows..who cares!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Doesn't anyone worry when doing this. My experience is that your not supposed to touch a gas pedal when the engine is off on a fuel injected car.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Doesn't anyone worry when doing this. My experience is that your not supposed to touch a gas pedal when the engine is off on a fuel injected car.
Don't worry, Dodge thought of this. Try putting your foot to the floor and attempt to start the engine; nothing will happen until you release the gas pedal.

With these 'fly-by-wire' cars, the computer is what opens the throttle plate (air intake) and cycles the fuel injectors. It's much different than linkage to a carb with an accelerator pump in the carb squirting gas into the manifold.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good point

I did not know that these cars are fly by wire.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Throttle calibration = voodoo.

Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts