Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know what I tried the throttle calibration procedure that was posted in this forum. Its amazing the difference it created. The throttle responds 100 times better than before. Everyone should at least try it.

Justin

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Mine has been that too. I do the "trick" every now and then just to liven it up again. It really does change things.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Can you remind me what the trick is? Also, is this more for autos rather than manual trans?

·
Registered
990 Posts
1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
(HOLD to the floor for about a three second count.)
(On some PCM versions, Check Engine light (CEL) may start flashing here)
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.

Source - 175 Tips

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's all mopar urban legend. No one has ever produced such documentation on how to perform it, why it works or how works. Not even DCX techs discuss this procedure, 'cause there isn't one. There is no adaptive learning for the accelerator electronics nor the throttle body motor. If someone can pull out the procedure from the service manual or some secret inside source and post it, then I might believe it. The outcomes are always the same, it's either holy chit, wow wow, or nope, did nothing for me. Now explain those results.

·
Registered
896 Posts
1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
(HOLD to the floor for about a three second count.)
(On some PCM versions, Check Engine light (CEL) may start flashing here)
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.

Source - 175 Tips

And this is supposed to do what exactly?

Relearn the electronic throttle?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well I just went out and tested it.

Prior to the test they was a slight pause before the engine rpm's increased when I first touched the accelerator. Now it is instantaneous..according to my "butt dyno".:laugh:

·
Banned
811 Posts
It's all mopar urban legend. No one has ever produced such documentation on how to perform it, why it works or how works. Not even DCX techs discuss this procedure, 'cause there isn't one. There is no adaptive learning for the accelerator electronics nor the throttle body motor. If someone can pull out the procedure from the service manual or some secret inside source and post it, then I might believe it. The outcomes are always the same, it's either holy chit, wow wow, or nope, did nothing for me. Now explain those results.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's my offering for an explanation:

If you observed no change, it is because your throttle calibration was already "on the mark".

If you did observe a change, it is because your throttle calibration was "out of whack". After the calibration, it now performs like those that observed no change.

I think this is a reasonable explanation for so many reports of "no change" along with so many reports of "major improvement".

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If you have a predator there are three settings that reference the the throttle, that can be zeroed or adjusted. They are wot, throttle plate zero, and idle position of the throttle plate. Don't know about these black magic adjustments, but do know the predator adjustments to change the drivability do work.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sounds like a textbook case of confirmation bias. If you think you're supposed to get a result, you're going to be more likely to perceive the intended result, regardless of whether it worked or not.
You could be right on or there could be something to it. It may be somewhere in the middle - it helps just a little and people percieve it as a "major" improvement. I would love to here from the engineers on this one. BTW, I hate electronic throttle bodies.

Reactions: sr71cbx

·
Registered
585 Posts
mopar MYTH !
can't be that IMHO, every thing with multiple computers, CAN bus, signal bus has I/O to electromechanical devices and back from sensors, position pots you know what I mean. Every xray system, motorcycle, airplane and yes, automobile is managed extensively, hence few adjustments for "Joe" I've done the cal procedure several times with positive results and a few no results so I have no problem believing if it's off or on "the mark" (range) the result/perception can vary. Many system circuits are adjusted on the fly within a window range but not throttle position sensors/controls. I have had experience with bad TB and it can make the driveability intolerable especially with a manual trans. My guess is the accelerator pedal input outputs a logrithmic signal thru the two wire connector and the throttle body is a stepper motor. The calibration loads new values of max and min opening butterfly to puter and variations are compensated for. again IMHO otherwise, it's Majic, smoke and mirrors

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.