Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever tried this? I think this guy is in a challenger, but I am pretty curious as to what results it would produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
He's in a Charger. I don't know why theirs would be different then the Challenger. But I believe our process is to slowly push all the way on the gas pedal and slowly release. There's no 20 second hold. I've done this before after mods but did not notice any difference.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,187 Posts
I might see this having some sort of effect if the OE throttle body is replaced with an aftermarket one, but other than that, I would have to see some hard data before believing it would have any effect on how the PCM operates the throttle and mixes the air/fuel.

Now if some sort of mod is added that has a direct effect on how much air or fuel is being ingested, like an aftermarket CAI, then there is going to be a period immediately afterward in which the PCM will "learn" of the mod's existence by virtue of the different amount of air/fuel it sees coming into the engine to be burned. But that is done automatically by the PCM through normal processes of monitoring the upstream oxygen sensors and adjusting the short term and long term fuel trims.

And as far as his anecdotal evidence on this method's positive results, I would point out the mileage increase he mentions is "estimated" by his own admission, and an estimate is and estimate, not a result. So that pretty much invalidates it as a valid piece of proof in my eyes.

His mention of the increase in intake sound is a curious one. Absent any mods, that isn't normal, and I would want to hear it for myself before deciding if it's significant or mostly imagined. But if he has recently installed an aftermarket CAI, which could have been the impetus for trying this relearn trick, then yes he is definitely hearing a louder growl coming from his intake under acceleration. But that has nothing to do with his throttle and this relearn trick.

It has to do with removing the sound muffler/baffle built into the OE air intake system, and he would have heard the increased growl regardless of trying this relearn trick (which would have been evident if he had established something like a control by driving the vehicle with the new mod before and after trying the relearn trick).

If anyone wants to provide some sort of data-based evidence or even a statement from someone who would be in position to speak as an authority on this, then I will retract my statements and eat as much crow as can be fed to me. But in the meantime, I'm going to continue my meals as usual, completely without fear of having to ingest large amounts of bird at any given moment. :wink3:

·
Registered
17 Posts
In a past life I owned a 2007 Charger R/T, I loved that car, right up until the night I put a 6 point buck through the hood of it, but I digress. I had seen this procedure on a Charger forum and there was some official-looking documentation to back it up. My Charger had a nasty habit of occasionally completely dropping the throttle out under moderate acceleration between 15-25 mph, almost as if either the sender or the receiver/throttle-body had a bad spot in it. I followed the procedure and it never did it again but there is no way to directly attribute that to the procedure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
In a past life I owned a 2007 Charger R/T, I loved that car, right up until the night I put a 6 point buck through the hood of it, but I digress. I had seen this procedure on a Charger forum and there was some official-looking documentation to back it up. My Charger had a nasty habit of occasionally completely dropping the throttle out under moderate acceleration between 15-25 mph, almost as if either the sender or the receiver/throttle-body had a bad spot in it. I followed the procedure and it never did it again but there is no way to directly attribute that to the procedure.
There were some tricks that existed in the 2010 and older LXs which didn't work after the 2011 refresh. The Fuse Pull thing comes to mind, and this throttle calibration deal could be one of those. So I will concede it may have been "a thing" for the pre-2011s, but I would be absolutely shocked if it were still "a thing" in the 2015+ models.

And on the subject of your Charger, you have my sympathies. But based upon the camouflage shirt you're wearing in that one photo, I'm guessing you were "hunting" at night, i.e. on the ole Blacktop Ranch. And while I bear no ill will for someone who likes to hunt in the off-hours, I recommend using a rifle or even a bow & arrow. To use your own car to bring down those deer can be terribly destructive to your ride...well, I don't have to tell you, do I :wink3:

·
Registered
17 Posts
And on the subject of your Charger, you have my sympathies. But based upon the camouflage shirt you're wearing in that one photo, I'm guessing you were "hunting" at night, i.e. on the ole Blacktop Ranch. And while I bear no ill will for someone who likes to hunt in the off-hours, I recommend using a rifle or even a bow & arrow. To use your own car to bring down those deer can be terribly destructive to your ride...well, I don't have to tell you, do I :wink3:
Well that was the tow truck driver in the pic, I prefer to stay behind the camera. I can guarantee you that I will choose a better weapon the next time I go hunting though!

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Well that was the tow truck driver in the pic, I prefer to stay behind the camera. I can guarantee you that I will choose a better weapon the next time I go hunting though!
A tow truck driver wearing camo t-shirt? Are you sure??

Color me shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya!!

:rofl:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My 2012 Challenger R/T really woke up after the trunk fuse #2 pull. It would develop a bad off idle hesitation, and that would go away after the fuse pull. I had to do it every two weeks or so.

Now, on the 2015 SRT, I see no difference on any fuse pulls, either 29 or 31.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
I experimented with this on my 09 SRT Challenger and came to the conclusion it was a myth.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I felt a difference in my SPS, nothing with a huge wow factor but I felt the difference non the less. My miles to the tank also increased as mentioned in the video.

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
My 2012 Challenger R/T really woke up after the trunk fuse #2 pull. It would develop a bad off idle hesitation, and that would go away after the fuse pull. I had to do it every two weeks or so.

Now, on the 2015 SRT, I see no difference on any fuse pulls, either 29 or 31.
I can't remember the specifics of why the fuse pull trick supposedly worked, but I do remember reading several different places that it had been confirmed that after the 2011 refresh it would no longer have an effect.

Now I'm not saying you weren't able to (temporarily) resolve your hesitation by doing the fuse pull, but I don't equate that with the fuse pull trick working in your 2012, assuming it ever worked in the 2010- LXs. It seems more likely to me that whatever effect pulling the fuse has just so happened to have an effect on whatever caused your hesitation, and it cannot be extrapolated out to other 2011+ LXs in general.

I mean having the hesitation is not normal, right? Something was going on with your car which was a abnormal enough to cause that behavior. But what is the absolute best case scenario pulling a fuse can do, cause the PCM to forget adaptive fuel trims? If having to relearn its fuel trims made your hesitation disappear, that's an issue above and beyond pulling fuses.

Maybe you had too many power adding mods (is there such a thing?), or maybe you spent too much time at WOT (definitely no such thing!), I don't know. But something wasn't right, and the fact that it recurred every few weeks but could be resolved by pulling a fuse seems suspicious.

I'm not suspicious of you, just that the old fuse pull trick remained in effect in your 2012 and also happen to be the exact cure the hesitation needed. There are just too many other things that could be in play is all I'm saying (did you try unhooking battery and touching cables together to see if that also worked?).

And now that I've firmly planted myself on this side of the argument, I will steel myself for the inevitable avalanche of anecdotal evidence which is sure to follow from others. But just remember everyone, the plural of anecdotal evidence is NOT proof.

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
I felt a difference in my SPS, nothing with a huge wow factor but I felt the difference non the less. My miles to the tank also increased as mentioned in the video.
If your miles per gallon increased after doing this but no other mods had been done, and the throttle relearn was the reason, then whatever happens during this process must surely be identifiable and reproducible as part of the startup process fired at Key On. If thats the case, why isn't this process part if the startup procedure? More MPG means better treatment by the govt, more buyers in the market, etc. Dodge would be dumb not to do everything possible to squeeze more MPG out of its cars.

On the other hand, if you did have other mods present when you did the relearn thing, what is to say they aren't responsible for the increased MPG?

And how did you arrive at the more MPG conclusion?

Was it the estimated number given by the EVIC?

Was it the "actual" MPG number displayed by the EVIC?

Was it a number you calculated yourself based upon miles traveled divided by gallons consumed?

How many miles and how many gallons did you go through before deciding to calculate the result?

The ways in which affirming the efficacy of this trick could invalidate the results are too numerous for me to believe in it just yet. And that's NOT the beer talking either! :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The only thing I've ever seen people claim the fuse pull did was reset the adaptive tables, and make them feel more seat of the pants fun when driving for a while, until their car started getting sluggish feeling again.

As far as my car goes, I assume it was a vacuum leak, possibly loose manifold bolts. I really don't know. The dealership kept saying it was "learning to drive that way" because of my driving habits, and refused to look into it, even though it was under warranty. That's why I drove a Mustang for a year. It made me feel really dirty, though, since I've only ever owned Mopars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I cant answer all your questions, all I can say if when I did this re-learn process this is what happened to me.

The computer showing my miles to the tank went up by 20 miles.

My throttle response got sharper and felt that the power delivery was improved.

I dont know what witch craft happened, but perhaps you should write a letter to Dodge and talk to them about it.

If your miles per gallon increased after doing this but no other mods had been done, and the throttle relearn was the reason, then whatever happens during this process must surely be identifiable and reproducible as part of the startup process fired at Key On. If thats the case, why isn't this process part if the startup procedure? More MPG means better treatment by the govt, more buyers in the market, etc. Dodge would be dumb not to do everything possible to squeeze more MPG out of its cars.

On the other hand, if you did have other mods present when you did the relearn thing, what is to say they aren't responsible for the increased MPG?

And how did you arrive at the more MPG conclusion?

Was it the estimated number given by the EVIC?

Was it the "actual" MPG number displayed by the EVIC?

Was it a number you calculated yourself based upon miles traveled divided by gallons consumed?

How many miles and how many gallons did you go through before deciding to calculate the result?

The ways in which affirming the efficacy of this trick could invalidate the results are too numerous for me to believe in it just yet. And that's NOT the beer talking either! :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
I cant answer all your questions, all I can say if when I did this re-learn process this is what happened to me.

The computer showing my miles to the tank went up by 20 miles.

My throttle response got sharper and felt that the power delivery was improved.

I dont know what witch craft happened, but perhaps you should write a letter to Dodge and talk to them about it.
I am prohibited from contact with Dodge, whether by letter, phone, or (especially) showing up in person. Something about a restraining order, blah, blah, it was hard to concentrate on what the constable was telling me because of the effects of his pepper spray.

:crying:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've done this throttle calibration and it does indeed work. I notice an instant response as opposed to a little lag beforehand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts